Sportsman 200

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Great looking bike, looks fast standing still. Are you guys offering the electric start option on your production models?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Pat & Rich,
Thanks for responding. Good to know, but it will likely be one of the last things I do to the engine if I decide to go that route. Am also looking in to a generator for it. Nice that you can buy this engine for a hundred bucks and then upgrade with this and that as money permits.
SB

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Here is how the starter mounts and the custom modified flywheel. Two engines, both Bonneville spec (whatever that is), one with starter and one without. The motor in front is a 250cc build with around 28 hp. Motor in the rear with starter is a 175cc build floating around 20 hp. I say floating because that's what the valves did at 80 mph!

Latest Engines by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Here is another shot of Rich's bike in the build stages showing the starter from the left side of the bike. Engine had to move back and up in the chassis. You can also see the leather friction shock absorber on the Bonneville spec forks and of course the Sportsman drive system, now proven past 80 mph. No bondo on that gas tank, either. It was still a bit rough, though, so I gave it to Rich.....

Shop Day by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
[QUOTE="sportscarpat]The motor in front is a 250cc build with around 28 hp.
Motor in the rear with starter is a 175cc build floating around 20 hp. I say floating because that's what the valves did at 80 [/QUOTE]
Damn, that's some very impressive HP numbers!
You guys would clean up in the Unlimited class at the races.....

PS: we have a dyno at the track.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Careful! Predators do not use Honda flywheels, their taper is different. So Honda/clone kits are not Predator kits.

The starter motors themselves will bolt right onto a Predator, the holes are already tapped and ready to go. But then you are on your own for the flywheel.

The predator motors are very tempting, they're bigger (212cc) and they're cheap. But cams, rods, pistons, flywheels, etc., are not the same as Honda/clone stuff. All the predator hot rod goodies are avail, but typically cost a little more and you have much fewer options when it comes to flywheels. By the time you are done, the initial savings of buying a Predator typically end up at about wash. The new Hemi-head Predator even uses a different flywheel from the early predators, but cams interchange with the Honda/clone. It's tricky, huh?

A std clone has a much wider array of parts, so shop wisely folks! If e-start is what you want, start with an e-start motor if you can. An e-start clone will cost you under $250 if you know where/how to shop. And what ever you do, don't over rev low quality cast iron flywheels, you can seriously hurt yourself in the process.

Last edited:

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
sorry guys ----i am confused about yet another thing???

Honda engine 140cc 160cc 200 cc okay i got it

Predator 212cc 79cc at harbor freight okay i got it

Honda clone 6.5 ?????? what size??? what cost???? and where do you get them best price ????

thanks

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
sorry guys ----i am confused about yet another thing???

Honda engine 140cc 160cc 200 cc okay i got it

Predator 212cc 79cc at harbor freight okay i got it

Honda clone 6.5 ?????? what size??? what cost???? and where do you get them best price ????

thanks
Honda 140cc ? I don't get it Buba........120cc?

And your question?????? Really?????

Call me.....we need to talk!

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Pat & Rich,
I want to thank you guys for all of the great information you're posting on the 6.5 engines. If I knew then what I know now I probably would have bought the electric start clone instead of the Harbor Freight Predator... now have to figure out whether to proceed with what I have or sell the new Predator. Not knowing things has its price. And all of the confusion over upgrade parts is understandable as I read your recent posts. You guys are in the middle of it all and no doubt have been on a steep learning curve. Thank you for your pioneer work

That electric start doesn't take up much room at all... nice!
SB

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
That electric start doesn't take up much room at all... nice!
SB
Yeah, right! Rich brought that setup by the shop and I remember saying "well that will never fit". Cart before the horse. We eventually made it fit. Now I have a couple extra engine mounts collecting dust in the shop. Their the learning curve engine mounts.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yeah, right! Rich brought that setup by the shop and I remember saying "well that will never fit". Cart before the horse. We eventually made it fit. Now I have a couple extra engine mounts collecting dust in the shop. Their the learning curve engine mounts.
I know how tight a fit can be where a mere sixteenth of an inch can make the difference. But you guys did it! How cool is that?
SB

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
Purchasing a Honda 6.5 CLONE ----NOT A PREDATOR!!!

best source and best price!!! with and without electric start!!!

for the benefit of one and all !!!!