Sidecars?

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
That Indian and sidecar is a thing of beauty Steve. Are you considering building a sidecar body in the same style?

My word, - so the boat really is a boat! Wow, - and here's me thinking that somebody must've been a bit clever and built a faux boat for a sidecar.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Ice cream! :D

Seriously though I'm sure you could find a skilled woodworker and do a deal where you build him a sidecar chassis and he builds you a sidecar body.
That would be a lot of ice cream!

The ice chest is almost big enough to sit in, and with 60 liters of water & some ice the weight is substantial. Besides, cruising around with cold water at a car show when it is 112f outside will make you some new friends quick!

I like the idea of trading a chassis for the coachwork. Really would be easy, since I used the CNC Laser to make all the pieces. I could kit this thing for sale without much additional fuss. Shipping the coachwork would be the hard part.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I was looking at the previous recent post here that had (what?) a fold up outboard on the side car. The side car separates and the goes on water? The motorcycle part looks like it is not to go in water, so that is my thought.

I got my motor bike going really good since I dispensed with where I had a pulley as small as 1.7 inch which slipped. I tried to get a cogged belt to replace the regular v-belt but sizes were strange.

The same brand Gates belt changing from regular to cogged made it so my adjustment could not utilize it. I would need 1/2 inch increment they do not have. So now I use gear and chain to connect top to bottom jackshafts on my multi-jackshaft system for a super low ratio.

A test ride with a 14:1 ratio proved to be probably what I'd use for offroading in the motorcycle parks. No slipping belts and nice zip.

I ordered a large 28 tooth gear to get 30:1 ratio so that when the motorbike is converted to look like the California Sheepshead Fish it can go slow under 5mph. For parade events I will have two 10 inch training wheels for stability on the back drop outs. Then it can search for krill in a 50,000 year old dry lake bed at 8000 ft in the Nevada Desert.

MT

PS, I found that that it was a not really a sidecar, but sidecar / flatbed. The sidecar / flatbed was used to carry a small motor boat is what I think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47581887@N00/291986380/

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
MT,

The boat doubled as the sidecar body but it did indeed detach from the sidecar it's self to be used as a boat. Pretty nice set up all around.

I keep watching the progress on the art fish bike. Being able to adjust gearing for the different uses makes it a definite multi use bike. I'm sure it will find many krill as well as admirers when it is released into the lake bed.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've seen this little boat sidecar before and it remains one of my favorites. Why isn't someone manufacturing these today, I wonder. I'm sure there would be a market. There's a market for everything else.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
That's the one that plunged me into the bottomless pit of sidecar madness. I was going to build one when my brother told me about the mahogany he had stashed away and I wound up building the one I did.

Maybe the time has come to realize the dream.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
That's the one that plunged me into the bottomless pit of sidecar madness. I was going to build one when my brother told me about the mahogany he had stashed away and I wound up building the one I did.

Maybe the time has come to realize the dream.

Steve.
I agree of all the side cars this one is the better of them.....And with a roadster flip down style top would be perfict............Curt