Schwinn Clairmont

GoldenMotor.com

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I got home today and the bike is on the front porch by the door with the 99cc predator. The jackshaft kit and the sbp shift kit are both on their way. :)

I went a different route and remove the jackshaft kit and sbp shift kit mounting plate. Used the shaft kit ideas from this forum and it worked out great.

Last edited:

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I had the handle bar swapped out, seat swapped out, motor mount installed, test fitted the motor with the AGK jackshaft kit to the bike, removed governor for the predator and had it idling for about 30minutes today.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
how much is that engine? it looks sexi. I hope your gonna get a custom gas tank after all that. That little kit tank would look silly.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
nevermind, i looked it up. hope your going with an other than stock tank. looks like you took it off already so. Yeah.

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
So I finally got her running with a heck of a time trying to line up both chains on the shift kit. During testing, the motor keep pulling the jackshaft toward the left side and throwing the chain alignment off on the pedal side. Of course one of the neighbor thinks the shift kit + the AGK kits are junk. At the end of the day, i decided to just realign everything. Starting from the pedal side to the output of the jackshaft. Tighten the shift kit down as tight as I can, then align the motor output shaft to the shiftkit. Hopefully i have better luck on the next test.

On a side note, I was on third gear with a final gear ratio of 12 and it pull nicely top end, and quite a bit of vibration upon engagement. It was a much harder pull compare to the Titan with a gear ratio of 15 or so. I"ll reduce it to 13.5 on the next test and see if it'll reduce vibration.

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I took the bike out today I went for a 26miles ride

No scenic ride or anything that fancy but it made my day. :) Don't mind the weld on the exhaust, extreme noob alert.. :) and a lot of clean up work to do.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
As much as I love the bike now, I'm still trying to figure out the engagement issued. It jerks/vibrates pretty bad unless i peddle up to speed.
Have you tried to use 1st or 2nd gear from a standing stop?

If it still jerks bad, maybe you need to experiment with clutch springs (early or late engagements).

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
5-7 Heaven, 1st geared is 13.6, and i'm planning to lower it even more, possibly 18 or so and increase the clutch engagement point to 3100rpm. I don't remember the Titan vibrate that much. It had 5:1 tranny with a 36t on the rear wheel. The final gear ratio on the titan was 16.36. Hopefully once all the gearing and clutch engagement is set I can start from a dead stop with no vibration. Otherwise, I might have to start putting in gussets to the frame. Unless i have a bad clutch to begin with, and I need to get a replacement from AGK.

According to this cal, I need to peddle close 15mph or so for a smooth engagement.. 1st gear ratio of 13.6. I've peddle close to that and it engages a little better.

Last edited:

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Started working on the chain guard today. Don't mind my welding on the exhaust. It just flat out suxx still, but it won't burn me up though. :)

I currently have a 30t on from the motor to the shaft. The bend in the guard is to accomodate a 40th teeth that's coming and possibly a 48 teeth if I need to go that low.

Last edited:

KnockKnock

Sep 10, 2013
CenTex
Magna, that is a seriously awesome bike there! It looks like you just ran the chain from the clutch to the SBP jackshaft. What pieces from the AGK kit did you use aside from the clutch?

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
for drivetrain i did use the AGK jackshaft mated with the sbp kit. Due to space limitation and alignment issues, I ended up using just the clutch, ran it to a separate jackshaft to the shift kit. It's the least expensive and pretty simple to put together.