Rotten Orange build - Gary Fisher Aquila shifter buildup!

GoldenMotor.com

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I am using the Sick Bike Parts shifter kit. The drive mechanism drives the front sprocket via a front freewheel, so you can pedal if you want, or just let the motor do the work and sit back and "coast" with the pedals in one position.

Right now, I'm working through some issues with the extra-wide bottom bracket my bike has (73mm wide - English threaded). I believe I've found a drop in solution though that will allow me to install the freewheel mechanism without any spindle bearing width issues.

Found this TH Industries 73mm x 127.5mm bottom bracket for $24. I just ordered it and added expedited shipping, so should see the new part in a couple days.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
hey datz, I just had a thought about your gas tanks.

It might be nice when you go to mount them to make them "quick-disconnect," i.e. easy to remove. That way you could fill up at a gas station if you needed to (long trip maybe) and mix right there in the tank. With it removed, you should be able to mix just as easily as if you had a gas can. just a thought.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Cool, I'll have to think about that.

Right now, I want to concentrate on making the tank as solid as possible, especially the mounting system. So, mine will be bolted down tightly to my rear rack.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Just a quick update.. Been under the weather a bit the last couple days so have not built the gas tank yet.

So, I got a big box from Niagara Cycles the other day which had all sorts of goodies for the build. The Rotten Orange will be getting some Apex MTB fenders to fend off the mud and muck it'll eventually be seeing off-road. Also, I got in the new set of Shimano SL Mega9 3x9 rapid fire shifters. Unfortunately, since I ordered them, I found out that they cannot be swapped left to right, so I can't use them on this bike. I took apart the old rapid fire shifters and found that hte ratchets cant be swapped over side to side, so there's no way I can use the rear shifter on the left hand side. :( So, this brand new shifter set goes into the pile of parts to be used for bartering with local bike buddies.

Knowing the rapid fires weren't going to work, I had to find a nice grip shift for the bike to run the rear gears. Needed something high quality, since it is imperative that the gear changes be perfect every time with the jackshaft kit driving the gearset. Can't have any mis-shifting or chains falling off with the engine driving the bicycle chain.

Ended up ordering a rght hand Shimano X.0 SRAM ESP 1:1 9-speed grip shifter. This will get mounted on the left side of the handlebars, upside down, allowing gear shifting & clutch to both be worked woth my left hand.
Here is the one I ordered for $40 from JensonUSA:

Naturally, when you change out a shifter, sometimes the existing rear derailleur wont work with the new one, so had to order up a new derailleur as well. This is turning into an expensive project! I choked when I saw the price of the SHimano X.0 derailleur (~$230), so went with an X.7 long cage derailleur instead for $60 from JensonUSA as well. Since the X.7 also uses the ESP 1:1 standard, it should work fine. Looks to be a decent derailleur at least. I just want a setup that is going to give me super-accurate shifting for this shift kit engine setup.

Last edited:

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Also, I've been working on solving some issues related to installing the freewheel crankset on my 73mm bottom bracket. The supplied spindle would not work, so I came up with a workaround which involved removing the chain guide off the rear of the freewheel assembly and installing the widest bottom bracket bearing/spindle set I could find to allow the the freewheel assembly to clear my frame. here is the bottom bracket set that I found that should give me enough clearance for the freewheel crank:
The bottom bracket I ordered was a TH Industries Aluminum Cartridge Bottom Bracket, 73mm Shell x 127.5mm Taper Spindle
Bike Tools Etc. - 1000's of bicycle tools and parts for the home mechanic!

Since this 127.5mm spindle is narrower than the kit supplied spindle, it also may require removal of the chain guide off the back of the chainring assembly. So, i had to have some means of keeping the chain on the chainring when I'm in low gear on the rear cassette. I found this N Gear Jump Start Chain Deflector on JensonUSA as well for $10, so threw that into the order. its an all metal unit and looks to be fully adjustable for the chain line.
https://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CH409Z14-N+Gear+Jump+Start+Chain+Deflector.aspx

So, thats where I'm at as of today.. Now, its just another waiting game... waiting for more parts to arrive. In the meantime, I'll see if I can get the gas tank welded up and painted. I'll get photos up as soon as it is done.

Last edited:

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
That should be a good bunch of solutions to problems. I didn't trust myself to work on a motorized bike today so worked some on my cruiser. Maybe a few days and I can get the motor on the cruiser. You are so close with the bike just waiting on a few odds and ends. Next week for you too? Yea get the tank ready and that will be good. The tank for oil is our trade right?

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Lenny, Yep, that will work for me. Don't you just love the barter system? :)

I'll get my tank done over the next few days and let you take a look at it before I build yours. You can then let me know if you want any changes on yours (mounts, filler or outlet position, fuel capacity, etc) That also reminds me... I need to find a gallon or two of some motorcycle tank liner/sealer to use on these custom tanks.

Any other Phoenix, AZ locals that want tanks or any other custom fab work done, I can do it for barter/trades or reasonable cost for time and materials

I'll see how well these first few tanks go together and then may think about producing a few short runs of these custom cylinder tanks for others that might want one.

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Wow. Looks to be an awesome build.

I bought the little brother of that shifter for under $9, and I still have my stock Shimano dérailleur:

The seat post deflector is an idea that I didn't think would work with the kit.....but at the time I didn't know they even sold such things. Now we will try it, too!(^)

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Just so everyone is aware datz510's build is about as far from the norm as possible. His aluminum frame is causing some issues due to non standard tube diameters and bottom bracket sizes. However we are working closely with him as the solutions to his problems will help others that use frames similar to his. Due to his feedback we will most likely come out with a rear motor mount for aluminum frames and are currently working with our suppliers to provide a different bottom bracket spindle for the extra wide bottom bracket tube. I should also reiterate what Pablo alluded to and that is datz510 likes using high end parts and that Pablo and I both use run of the mill bike parts with great success, we just make sure that they are properly maintained.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
I am in the high end camp right with datz510. You are very right that even lesser parts are good with good maintenance. Actually the best parts with no maintenance is a worse solution than low quality parts with good maintenance. You are using medium quality with good maintenance so are in good shape. I am glad to have such a good problem solver as datz510 as a ridding buddy. , as that is a combination that makes bikes work, and generally well.

The Dellorto carb is an example of finding the best reasonable solution for a problem. You can see and feel the difference in the 2 small parts very easily holding both. One feels solid and looks well finished. And the Dellorto has a few extra adjustments that makes it obvious that it will be able to be fine tuned to work better.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
i see $$$ hemoraging!!!

very nice though
Thats how some of these builds go.. My build is definitely far from the norm. This bike presents some challenges due to the way it was constructed.

Just FWIW, this motored bike build is dirt cheap compared to some of my other hobbies, so its all good. ;) You would probably have a heart attack if you knew how much money I have in some of my other projects. I enjoy building things and the challenge of it all.

In the end, I'll have a unique machine that should be a blast to ride.

Last edited:

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Tank is done apart from tank sealer and paint.. pics will be showing up shortly.

I ended up building mine just shy of 1/2 gallon capacity. It has a built in 2-3 oz sump to prevent starvation around corners. I also offset the filler neck a little towards the left rear of the tank. Clears the seat nicely and looks like it will work well. Inlet/filler is about 1-3/8" diameter. Outlet/drain is female 1/8" NPT pipe thread.

My only concern is since the carb is gravity fed and the rack is *just* slightly higher than the carb, I might starve the carb on severe up hill climbs. May look into a standalone diaphragm fuel pump to work as a tiny fuel pump to prevent this condition.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Found a small vacuum/pressure actuated diaphragm pump made for kohler and briggs and stratton engines on ebay for $20. Went ahead and ordered it just in case I need it.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
HI Datz,

Just a thought but Nitro RC cars use a pressure tap off the exhaust I think to pressurize the fuel tank.....would that work?

Andrew
Could tap the exhaust to pressurize the tank, but the potential for catastrophe is a bit scary doing that. Im sure it could be done though.

The exhaust COULD be used to generate a pulse to drive a fuel pump, but Id worry about soot buildup. I think I'm leaning more towards just tapping into the intake. The intakes on these 2 strokes naturally create pulses as well, so should work fine. I'll also be installing a boost bottle at the same time, so will work the required volume into that equation. I can experiment with it.

FWIW, here is the fuel pump I got:

One line runs to the vacuum/pressure pulse source. The other two are inlet and outlet ports for the fuel. should be a perfect setup for any HT 2 stroke that needs a lift pump

Last edited:

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Here are a few photos of building the fuel tank today:

Here's one cap welded up. I used a 6" piece of 4" tubing for the tank body.

Here are the other parts that go into the tank:

Some photos of the fuel filler sitting in its cutout:
http://www.piratepathy.com/misc/gastank10.jpg

A photo of the tank with the other cap in place, but not welded yet: