Roadmaster Project

GoldenMotor.com

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey Gilbert, hope you make it to Grange. I have your bike on my computer screen until a better one comes along. That will take a while.
Hey msrfan,

Unfortunately, I will not be able to go to the Grange event. My wife and one of my daughters will be out of the country at that time, so I will be a temporary single parent for my two other kids.

Hopefully I can make it out to another race later on. I am not really a competitive person, so the actual races don't appeal to me all that much, but I really enjoyed meeting people from this forum and seeing all the cool bikes. Getting to shake your hand was very rewarding to me.

You were a major influence on my bike build. Your bikes that I viewed on this forum made me decide that a briggs engine was for me. Your example also helped me to really get into the DIY thing. When you fabricate all the stuff yourself, the bike is just so much more rewarding and fulfilling.

It means a lot to me that you dig my bike.

Gilbert

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Nice job!

I think you really nailed the circa 1915 proportions.

I wonder if there’s a archive where you could find out who and what that old tag belonged to?

-Kirk
Thanks Kirk,

I am a big admirer of your Excaliber '09 build, it continues to impress me every time I go back to look at it again. So its great news that you like my build.

Have you had a chance to repair the frame? I can't wait to see another video of the bike in action.

Gilbert

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
We'll miss you at Grange. I raced desert for years and thought I was over "race fever" until motorbikes got into it. I guess you never lose the desire, just the edge. Maybe a ride in our future. Yes, I really do dig your bike. If I never get to build one myself, I have yours and the other bikes on this forum to admire. When I look at yours, it's exactly how I picture old motorcycles I wish I'd owned. Nothing for enjoyable than fabbing up parts that work. Of course, I don't post photos of the junk that didn't. Sometimes it takes several tries just to get a prototype. Then you have to refine it to do what you want. The more you do, the easier it gets. I'll be proud to shake your hand again soon.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hey Grebes, how is this bike going? This is one of my favourites and havent seen or heard of this beauty for quite some time? Any updates or new pics, or are you just quietly enjoying your ride?

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Thanks for the interest Harry. I did get to ride it on a couple of group rides during the summer. I got to go on one of the Venice rides which was tons of fun, and I bummed a ride with Jeff (CCC) to a motorcycle show. The show was mostly choppers and modern stuff, but there were a couple of old bikes and it was fun to ride our little bikes with motors there.
After getting back from this ride my motor siezed because I ran it too low on oil. I restarted it after it cooled down and made it home, but then I took it out and brought it to a gokart engine rebuilder to rebuild it. I finally got the engine back, but I haven't got the engine to fit yet with the new carburetor the builder put on.
When I get it put back together I will take some pictures (I love to take pictures of my bike) and give a little progress update on the state of the ride.

Thanks again Harry for caring,

Gilbert

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
So for anyone that's interested, here is an update to my bike build. Still haven't painted it. I probably will someday, but I am just too lazy for all of the bondo work that will be necessary, due to my lumpy metal work.

Things that have changed. I added another leaf to my leaf spring fork. As recounted in the L.A. ride events post, my front end bottomed out in a dip coming out of a parking lot and my wheel locked up, sending me over the bars, wrestling that bad boy to the ground. The spring just had too much travel, so adding a leaf stiffened it up, it feels good now, even going over some of L.A.s bumpiest roads. I got a new, larger seat. I made a custom exhaust with my dad to replace my plumbing pipe exhaust. And I cut a little window in my front fender to allow my leaf spring to sit lower, sort of like an old indian.

And best of all, I got my engine rebuilt by a gokart guy locally. I put in a different cam, with a billet rod and he added a new tillotson carb. It has a lot more power. It climbs the steep hills by my house easily, and seems to be able to achieve higher speeds. When it is running, it runs exactly how I dreamed it might one day, able to keep up with traffic, and able to climb hills. The trouble is, it keeps on having technical difficulties. The tank leaks off and on and I am continually re-brazing it. My jackshaft needs to be beefed up, it flexes a little and throughs the belts off-line, causing belts to bind. My clutch fell apart on one night ride, I had to push it home that night. The snap ring on the driven clutch fell off, and I had to pick up the pieces off the street.

I also bought some of the Felt Circuit tires that velodrome recommended on another thread, they seem to ride fine. And lastly I changed the springs on my two cluthes to allow the engine to stay in higher rpms before shifting.

So, I love this bike very much, and I will continue to tinker with it to get it running 100%.

Oh yeah, and I got to run it at the last Grange race, super-fun!

Attachments

jose Pinto

Aug 29, 2010
Portugal
.[/QUOTE]
them my congratulations, simply fantastic project really only need a bit of desire to paint, but that day will come so technicians resolve every detail, this willpower will arrive

Deimus

Dec 11, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I really enjoyed the thread you created here. Your bike is amazing.

Regarding your tank, have you considered using a product like Kreem to seal it?

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
That is an awesome build! My preference would be to leave it unpainted. You just can't buy that look you have to build it. Nice action photo from the race too. Blow it up and put it in your work space for those days that the little technical issues get under our skin! So cool....

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Thanks for the comments guys.

Kestrel, I haven't used my iphone taped to my handlebars yet, but it "feels" like I am getting close to 40mph.

Deimus, yes I have thought about using Kreem. I even bought some, but I worry that someday it will flake off, and I made the mistake of having right angle butt joints on the tank, so the vibration from the engine can cause some of my badly brazed spots to separate from each other. I was hoping I could get it to not leak without sealer. I also figured that after using sealer, I could no longer re-braze spots that sprung a leak. Anyway, I'm thinking of building another tank, maybe torpedo style, at least with rounded edges and overlapping seams somehow to prevent leaks.

Harold B. I like the unpainted look too, I like to see all of the brazing. But I'll probably paint it someday just to change it up. Plus, I really want to try my hand at pinstriping, I might put some stripes right on the raw metal just for fun.

It really is a blast to ride. I got the jackshaft set up to work o.k. recently and it really ran strong. I can't wait until the next Socal group ride so I can redeem myself and try to stay with the pack and not break down.

Gilbert

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Gilbert,
I just went through this thread once more from beginning to end and want to thank you again for sharing your adventure. What a fine machine which absolutely captures the feel of an old time motorcycle. Perfectly imperfect. A machine that someone made with great care from this n that. Way back in this post I said that someday your bike will become a family legacy. Your kids, all grown up, will say to their own, "Your grandpa built this motorcycle..."
SB

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Thanks for the kind words silverbear. This forum is so cool because we are like a club, only everyone lives very far away from each other. It would be wonderful to meet you in person and shake your hand, go for a ride, but I probably will never get over to your neck of the woods.

Anyway, I love my bike. Its running pretty well now. Had some fun at the Grange race. I took it to the Long Beach swap meet a couple months ago and some guy said he had cash on hand and would give me $5,000 for it. I don't think he was completely serious, but I have to say, I don't think I could sell it. It means too much to me. I literally spent almost two whole years making this thing and I treasure it. Whenever I ride it, I feel very lucky to have it. People always ask me what year it is, when I tell them I built it and its only one year old, most people look at me funny like I am joking, they seem a little let down.

Then I drive off in a cloud of oil burning smoke (I need new rings).

Thanks for all you contribute Silverbear,

Gilbert

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Just can't stop taking pictures. Here is the latest iteration of my bike. After the April Grange race, there were only about 6 weeks until the June 1st, so I decided not to put the full fenders back on and the rack and long handlebars.

Instead I put the headlight on (nice and low), a new tail light, and have been riding it around street legal. Its really fun. A little hard on the back with the leaning over low for a long ride, but fun, fun, fun.

I also included some close-ups of the belt drive. Some people on the forum have expressed interest.

Gilbert