Reworking the lights, rewiring, top tube tank, etc

GoldenMotor.com

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Coats two and three went on the frame.

I've read on the forum where quite a few people dislike the Rustoleum paints because they tend to crinkle on finish coats. So far so good on this frame. One thing I've found to help a bit is to give the paint a light dusting with a 0000 steel wool pad. It removes the sticky surface layer and any rough texture and the next coats seem to go on pretty smooth. Not perfect but not horrible. Not done either.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
i just used rustoleom on my schwinn the high heat engine clear worked great and its gas proof after 7 days.. the frame looks real nice
glennbo

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
yes i did 2 coats of cardinal red and 2 coats of clear waiting 10 mins between coats went strait from the base coat to the clear

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
if you already applied your base coat make sure its fully cured if not youll have a disaster. you can only apply the clear right after or you have to wait till its cured so the solvents dont break down the base coat....

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I tried the Rustoleum etching primer waited about 40 hrs and did a color sand on it then painted with VHT disk brake (silver) paint and it seems to be a very durable application, I also tried the Rustoleum auto clear coat laquer sometimes I'll get a small area that crackles so I have to color sand it then re-apply the clear coat, it can be a lengthy process but when you get it right it's tight!
Looks like yer on the right path.

Another thing I just thought of was a good wax job after the paint is cured gives a brilliant luster and also hardens the paint a bit

Last edited:

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
94 degrees and 90% humidity with thunderstorms yesterday and for the next several days. Looks like I'll find other things to focus on besides painting for a bit.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
I'm one of the ones that had a problem with Rustoleum paint. But I still use it. My problem was my fault. I applied clear coat approx. 24 hrs after the final wet-sanded color coat, thinking that enough time had elapsed to allow the color to dry. I was wrong and the clear caused the color coat to craze, buckle and crack. Not fun.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
A bummer indeed! I'll definitely try spare parts before shooting the frame. I am glad people have posted their issues with clear cote so we're not all having the same problems over and over again. I'm sure it was frustrating at the time but the information is much appreciated.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
A rub down with 0000 steel wool and then a buff with a soft pad the frame looks dandy to me. It will harden over the next week or so which will give me plenty of opportunity to scratch the heck out of it! Started to bolt stuff up tonight.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
if not baked on rattle can paint can take up to 2 weeks to fully cure sure its dry to the touch but its not fully cured thats why the clear will break down the base coat.. its really best to put it on right after you shoot you base coat the two coats cross link together

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I'll be lucky to have it ready to ride in two weeks so I'm willing to risk it. If it scuffs too easy after a week then I'll take it apart to touch it up and clear coat. Growing up there was always the kid that couldn't wait for the glue to dry on the model car before going on to the next step. Those were my glue finger prints on the windshield every time. I did the prep right so any touch up will be minor.

XShark

Jul 10, 2013
Pensacola,Fl.
I've read on the forum where quite a few people dislike the Rustoleum paints because they tend to crinkle on finish coats.

Yep....But if you want some paint that has a super high durability then think Awlgrip.

It's the standard that boats are painted with. I have it on my truck too.

One day a Big Chocolate Lab jumped up and had his paws on the window opening. His claws skidded all the way down the door.....Ya never knew it. :)

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Nice paint job. Awlgrip is available locally but I can't say I've ever used it. With my attention span there is no telling what will get painted next so I might get a chance sooner than later. Thanks for the tip!