Pusher Trailer (new build)

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Having had this engine on the front wheel, then on the rear wheel, then on some skateboard wheels(bad idea), then back on the front wheel, I decided to do a pusher trailer.
I invite any and all opinions on the best methods of trailer hookup?
This is geared for the ~50 mph range but will rarely get pushed that fast.
I did some research & still haven't settled between seatpost mount or axle mount.
The tandem brake cable came in the mail a few days ago, so the throttle hookup & bike interchangeability will be a snap.
Here is what I've got put together so far.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Here are a few more pics as I've just about completed it today.
Using just bike parts, scrap metal, nuts & bolts & a skateboard wheel for belt tensioner. Yeah its a carbon road fork...lol
Just need to hook up the throttle cable & re-install the muffler.
I took it for a test drive unmotored & everything is functioning properly as far as turning & bumps go.
-lowracer-

Attachments

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
I might be looking at it wrong and I've never built one but don't the pusher have to swivel side to side where it mounts to the bike or somewhere?

Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
i have too many pairs of broken carbon fiber forks.....they always break right at the slot where the axle sits, even the ones with aluminum tips. i wasn't the rider of the bicycles though...the riders were spandex warriors (hehe..."were")

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Not trying to discourage or anything but I fore see things buckling a bit in the length of the tongue without a bit more support. I hope I'm wrong, it's a cool looking rig and seems more practical than having all that motor hovering over your front wheel as it was before. Hope she flies!

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
LouieMCman,
It swivels at the seatube junction. There is a 28.6 shim on the 27.2 seatpost that is greased & the stem connected to the seatpost isn't bolted, so it is free to swivel. There is a clamp under that stem on the seatpost to prevent the stem from dropping down & it also holds the shim firmly in place.
Scotto,
You are definitely right about the trailer connection. The two bolts holding the tongue stem to the trailer seems to be the spot I am getting flex & I plan to stiffen it up asap. I also want to bring the trailer in closer to the bike which will happen during the stiffen up plan. If that doesn't make things feel secure for me, I'll try axle mount...
-lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Rode the bike w/motorized trailer today after tightening the tongue area up.
Hate to say it , but I'm not loving the pusher trailer layout & will be taking it all apart again. Feels like driving a tractor trailer (or maybe a tandem bicycle) & not what I expected. It was cool to build & test it out however.
-lowracer-

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
If I had that engine, the first place I would put it is in a nice, roomy stretch frame. It would be at home sweet home there, that's just me however. The engine complete with gas and all weighs as much as that sweet Rocky Mountain bike you've been trying too mate it with.....that engine needs something a bit larger and it's got the power to move it for sure. Don't stop now!.wee.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Scotto-
I think your idea for a stretch beach cruiser is brilliant.
I may have to start searching for a Micargi Puma or GTS or even the Kustom Kruisers.
TY
-lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I swapped engines & the Lifan 97cc 2.5HP is now on the DH MTB.
The Subaru-Robin EH035 is going on this bike (rear now, but may go on the front soon)
I posted some pics in the DIY section under 'Felt Like A Good Time To Swap Engines' thread.
-Lowracer-

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Ok, you guys really got me going this time. I was looking at ways to motorize my bike DIY style and found out about push trailers on this site. This is what I came up with. Let me know what you think. Btw, I live in the Desert with dirt roads and long stretches on paved roads and my wife knows this is your fault!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Purty cool SJN! Asking here, think the drive wheel is to far back?

Also, why a fake jet? LOL
Pulse Jet Engine

"and my wife knows this is your fault!" Snork, snicker. Sure, blame it all on peer pressure

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Really SJN, very cool. Please start a thread and post. I would really enjoy following your creation. I down loaded your pic and studied it closely. There would be some cool applications.

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Very nice design, well thought out. The only thing that stumps me here is why not ditch the 8hp B&S and make that a real turbine engine? You've got the emergency drag chute if ya get goin too fast and need to stop quickly. Dan was thinking the same thing me thinks.

In all seriousness though, it looks great and I want to see it finished.....it should rip! The 10t to 60t gearing should work fine for the application....have a fun build, I'll be watching for sure......cheers!

dnut

mmmmudd

Dec 31, 2010
california
Far out design SJN, Do you have a name for it? I'm thinking "strato-trailer" or "pusher-phonic" . . . I also think I should give decaf another try. . .