poulan chain saw FD.

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Its not always that easy deacon to tell the size of a Poulan. The bigger saws from the same time frame are designated in ci. For instance a 3600 is 3.6ci a pretty big saw. The 2300 on your saw is in cc-23. The Husqvarnas were some of the easiest to follow with the ccs being in the Model# ie a 141=41cc, 55 Rancher you guessed it 55ccs. Hang in there with the little saw the port timing on saws is some of the more agressive, and they make more power/cc than say a weedeater or blower. The recoil is pretty stout on those saws, and not hard to repair, just have it fully engaged before you pull it(true of any recoil) Just think light when you are building. Taking off weight is like bolting on HP!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have the worlds heaviest ebike so I get the weight thing. I guess the fact that they did the CI thing is why that guy thought this motor was a 2.3 cI . It's okay I think the motor will be okay for just messin' around. Believe it or not I am enjoying the CpP mind set of the ebike. I only use it on the bike trail now, but I can see it would be okay for some shopping trips. Ordinarily 3miles would drain a 12ah set of batteries, but with the CpP mind set I can do three miles and come home with half a charge. Of course I could also walk the trail almost as fast. CpP is coast anytime you don't feel hard pessure on the pedals. Pedal until I get winded, power only to the top of the hill, the CpP again.

It's enough of a challenge to keep my mind in the game and not day dreaming too much.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I got it mounted and ready to go but now I can't get it started. I got it started but it ran wild i cut back on the throttle and it died. Never to start again. So I replaced the plug. it is firing just fine... It is also wet, but the carb on it seemed to have wide open and stop, so I switched it for a carp which I know is good. Now it won't do anything.

The carb came from a larger motor, but it should at least hit the plug is wet. Since it won't even try to hit even at full choke which I also checked and it is closed off, I'm not getting it. Even if it had a gasket leak where I changed the carb, it still should try to hit on full choke. It doesn't. '

Cannonball you are the chainsaw man what's matter with this thing.,

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Probably flooded. Pull the plug, open the carb wide open and pull it through maybe 10x. put the plug back in, NO choke and give it a try. Stay with the carb that came with it. I thought it was runng good when you got it, what could have changed?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I never ran it more than a second. It sounded like it was running wide open. I figured I would get to that after I had it mounted. the case was so screwed up, it was impossible to keep it steady to pull. I'm going to leave it sit till tomorrow. Then I will try it again. I put the original carb back on it it still wont do anything. It probably is flooded. I'm going to let it sit over night and try it tomorrow. It is getting gas and it has spark I will see if I can't figure something out.

By the way is the gas tank vented on that motor. I am going to make a coke bottle gas tank and was wondering if I needed to vent it. The cap on the saw tank leaked from the top if you filled it too full but I don't know it that is a vent or just age.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
As best as I remember it may have a duck bill vent in the cap or tank, Its a very small one way valve that lets air enter the tank as fuel is with drawn. Looks kinda like a stopper on a glue bottle we used in school. Look in the center of the cap.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Center of the cap had a little round tube that looked like it might activate a diaphragm. It was completely rotted away.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
One thing, as I remember that is a reed valve engine. The valves are under the plastic carb block. See if there is any thing holding a reed(s) open. I once had a saw that wouldnt do anything. Had saw dust under the reeds.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
this one had a leaf in the carb throat. I fished it out with a piece of wire so you maybe right. I will check it but I'm going to do some soul searching tomorrow to see if I really want to build a bike from this engine after all. All this work and it still will be too small at 25or so cc.

I might convert the bubble gum bike to an Ebike instead and give the gas bike more thought. i bet you are right about the valve thing, since it had a leaf in the carb. Besides even if nothing else I will have learned something new. I have never bothered to pull those blocks.

I have it off the bike so it will be easier to work with now.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I just bought another Lifan 2.5hp from Home Depot fot $109 shipped. This engine has been bullet proof. This will make my 3rd. I rode the bike that has this engine in direct drive(with lift clutch) 30+mi yesterday, plenty of power to handle just about anything. Why dont you buid one of these for your 24". Done right you would have a "lifetime" bike to ride while you experiment with the other stuff. You can use the cheap and easy roller on this one.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I should do that and I might. By the way the reason the chain saw motor worked when I first got the saw was the leaf in the carb I think lol. Once I fished it out the darn thing never ran again.

Right now I am debating a second bike. If I went with the big engine, I would put it on the bike I am riding now and move everything E over to the new light weight 24". Judging from the trouble I had with getting on and off the gray hound, I would probably go with a 24" rear wheel for the big gas motor If I went that way. Still not sure that the big gas engine is for me. Smaller ones are really unreliable though so I don't know maybe back to Ebikes.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
.bld.You seem to be on the right track, Cannonball, your saw is just a tad small. My first build was with a Grubee 2 cycle which was ok, but needed replacement parts too often. I switched to a Grubee 4 cycle with stage III gearbox which worked great but was underpowered. When I decided to drop in a Shimano 3 speed rear, I swapped out the Gubee 4 cycle for a Homelite to avoid a jackshaft. There is no comparison. The Homelite is bulletproof, it's faster, revs higher quicker and it has a great Mikuni carb with full adjustments. With an expansion chamber it sounds like the Bultacos and Ducatis we use to race. 50 cc Ducatis and Benellis would go 55mph. The engine on chainsaws usually outlast the bar and chain, so good engines are readily available at low cost. Engine mounts are easy to fabricate if you break down the saw to just the engine (remove the handle, trigger, chain oiler, etc.) I'd send photos but Scooteriste Rouge (Red Rider) is broken down for painting. Good luck if you decide to try again.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I converted a Homey 46 for a friends R/C plane. It easily out flys the Zenoah 62cc that it replaced to everyones amazment(its the engine design not my conversion) This was a $15 yard sale saw. They are out there!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I'm getting to the point that I enjoy building the bike, but not working on the engine. If I go back to gas, I will go with the big four cycle for sure. The little gas bikes are fun, but it's the constant BS not the under power that bothers me. I have just got to the point that I don't enjoy it any more. I did for a while, but now when I pull the cord, I want it to start. When I drop the engine I want it to push the bike.

I am still toying with the Ebike, but when I go back I am definitely going with the big 4 cycle with the best reputation for reliability. Sounds like an ilfan now.

When I had the grayhound I couldn't fine anyplace I wanted to go that the ebike couldn't reach. One day I will and then I will build the big bike again.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have a new plan. I did some checking on craigs list and ebay. It seems the most available small engine with a full crank at an even close to reasonable price is the chainsaw. So I have decided that no matter what it costs me I'm going to learn to build with them.

So I need to pick brains so listen up guys. What is the easiest way to attach a chain saw to a frame for mounting. Will the bar studs hold the saw or do I need a lot of bracing to other parts of the saw. I think keeping it rigid will be a big part of building with them successfully. I know there are two bar studs but it dosn't seem like that is enough support for the engine. It looks like there should be some rear or bottom support. From what I remember.

So this week I will have to find a chain saw at least 33cc to build with. In the meantime if you come up with any mounting ideas please pass them along.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
The larger weedeaters have bearings on both ends of the crank. Just look for one with the pull start on the back of the engine.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Deacon sez:
"Judging from the trouble I had with getting on and off the gray hound"

There ain't no shame in using a step-through frame.
It's easier!

Perhaps not stronger, but it's definitely easier!

I am a proponent of a low CG motor mount. If this is possible with a step-trhough frame, I'd sure like to see it. EZ is gud!

Best
rc

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
yeah seen my son in laws craftsman 32cc and I like it as well. Truth is im looking for something full crank and running strong but it doesn't have to be new so I was thinking storm cleanup chainsaw. Those never get used more than a few times. Lots of them come on the secondary market around here. I think once i get the frame figured out they should be pretty interchangeable. The drive roller is also a problem since the shaft is 3/8 and pretty weak.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
oh my ebike is step through but I cant use it because I have batteries in the space. I would get another one if it shows up in the thrift store. By the way if you go coaster the 20" rear wheel is much easier to get on .