Please Help Me Mount My Engine

GoldenMotor.com

Ethan

Oct 16, 2013
New Zealand
Firs off, I hope this is in the right section.

I recently moved to New Zealand, and decided to purchase a bicycle and an engine. I bought a DiamondBack Bronco:
http://www.diamondback.com.au/bikes/mtb-hardtail/bronco-26/
I also bought a Cycle Pro Motor Speed 70 engine:
http://www.cyclepromotors.co.nz/cycle-pro-speed-70-bike-engine-kit/
When I purchased the bike, I measured it to be sure it would work - 36 spokes, enough space inside the frame, everything... except the pipe size. The kit came with a U mount in case of a wide pipe, so while I saw the pipe was large, I did not think about it too much. It is too wide for the bolts to fit over it, though. Pictures can be found here:
http://s741.photobucket.com/user/Ethan_Turnipseed/library/Bike?sort=3&page=1

I prematurely attached the carburetor just to see if it would fit, and I am glad I did - no matter how I turned the engine, it would not fit with the carburetor on. I spent $260 on the engine and $250 on the bike... I am not rich, and do not want to buy another bike. I cannot return the bike, especially since I scratched it up trying to mount the engine. I cannot figure out what to do, and need help. Any ideas?

Ethan

Oct 16, 2013
New Zealand
Forgive me, as I am not too knowledgeable in this field, but would using an offset affect the performance in any way? Also, if not, any idea where I can get a quality offset intake? If I could move it just two inches one way it should fit fine.

Concerning the U bolt, I need a larger one. Any idea what type of stores may carry them, or would I be better off ordering online? Also, how will I go about making it fit to the engine, as the engine only grants me a little over 2.5 inches space... or can I also get a new mounting plate?

Ethan

Oct 16, 2013
New Zealand
How will I attach that to the engine though? I do not have access to the tools to make a new plate, so I am a bit at a loss.

Ethan

Oct 16, 2013
New Zealand
No sadly. I have almost 0 tools. Thankfully I brought my Leatherman with me, or else I would not have even had access to a Philips. The neighbor has a few tools, but he does not have the appropriate tools for working with metal, or even the right station for working with wood... That is why I am having such a difficulty with this.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
No sadly. I have almost 0 tools. Thankfully I brought my Leatherman with me, or else I would not have even had access to a Philips. The neighbor has a few tools, but he does not have the appropriate tools for working with metal, or even the right station for working with wood... That is why I am having such a difficulty with this.
Dude, Someone should have told you that yer gonna need TOOLS if you own a motorized, you can buy a cheap drill for under $30.Bits are a couple bucks apiece. get a set of metric wrenches, a drill and a set of bits and that should get you started. WHAT THE HECK WERE YA GONNA DO IF IT BROKE DOWN? you need TOOLS bro!!! And Vice Grips for almost everything (in a pinch):-||
fatdaddy

Ethan

Oct 16, 2013
New Zealand
Tell me about it. I moved in with a lady who does not own a garage and just moved herself. All she brought with her was a toolbox (someone broke into and stole most the tools), a few wrenches and a nice adjustable wrench with metric and standard/imperial. Not even a hammer is laying around... I need to buy some tools, obviously, but I have only been here three weeks, and in this place for one. I was hoping to get the bike together, test it out, and use it to go buy some tools, but that seems out of the question now.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Kinda need the tools first to assemble the kit. Ask around, maybe someone local will help you out. There are gearheads everywhere....just have to find them.
As far as the intake and carb goes, sometimes you can make room by flipping the intake so it angles DOWN rater than UP. It will fit this way and it might give you the carb clearance you need.
I did this on a recent chopper build. I still had to grind the air filter cover a bit to clear the top tube, but it fit. Make sure the clutch cable does not rub on the carb bowl by using the small spring behind the clutch arm to protect the bowl.

Last edited:

Ethan

Oct 16, 2013
New Zealand
Thank you for that suggestion - I shall try that one right now!

EDIT: Sadly, that still was not enough. The frame seems to be too straight on the side of the carburetor, so moving the carburetor off to the side seems very logical. I am not finding very many offset intakes, perhaps because I do not know what to look for. Anyone know a good one?

Last edited:

Ethan

Oct 16, 2013
New Zealand
Looks good, but the shipping costs $40 for me. For that money I may as well try to buy a new bike.

Any thoughts on mounting the carburetor sideways? I was playing with it this morning, and realised I could mount the engine (almost straight) putting the carburetor on sideways.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You can add a rubber hose to route the carb where you need it rather than buying a special intake. Be sure the carb is well supported so it does not bounce around or come loose. Also be sure both ends seal well to prevent air leaks.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
hit the tool store. A CHEAPO DRILL and one drill bit, a couple bucks. a u-bolt or two and some scrap flat steel. I've made lots of my own mounts. It,s not that hard bro.
fatdaddy.

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
never drill a frame,good advice. but STILL, like the advice I was TRYING to give the other guy. A cheapo drill and drill bit,a peice of flat steel plate and a couple U-Bolts to make your own mount.ya GOTTA have some tools if ya own a motorized bicycle.

Last edited:

Ethan

Oct 16, 2013
New Zealand
Thanks fatdaddy, but seeing the hassle this has caused me, also the fact I cannot progress without doing some damage to the bike, has lead me to sadly simply buy a new bike. I did not quite plan on it, but today I was out shopping and saw a bike that should work for a modest $120. I enjoy good bike rides in the morning anyways, so I figure maybe I will sell the bike I bought, or use it to ride around manually (without the added engine weight). I will take the U bolt to the store, and measure the bike thoroughly before I get this one now that I realise the frame does matter (more than the company let on).

Also, laugh it up, she does not have a car. The neighbor has a few tools, but nothing fancy. In the USA I could always visit my parents' place, since my dad was a welder, and have a garage full of every tool imaginable. It is a bit of a shock for me, then, to be in a place without even a hammer or a Philips. I will definitely get myself some tools, but I do not want to damage the bike (and later on down the road have it fail due to that, since it is my main form of transportation... or will be). I appreciate all the help I have gotten though - I just want to do it right the first time. Maybe I will get another engine in the future for this bike when I understand these more, Iam unsure yet.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
My God Bro,I wish I could spend $120 every time I ran into problems. For $10 you could have fixed the thing just as good as factory.BUT, like I've always said.
IT'S YOUR BIKE, BUILD IT YOUR WAY.
fatdaddy.

Ethan

Oct 16, 2013
New Zealand
I haven't bought the bike yet, I just fear drilling into this bike and X amount of time in the future having it fail on me for it. Trust me when I say I cannot afford to spend $120 every time I run into a problem - for me, either I spend some money and get some transportation, or it is longer without a job because I cannot go far. The buses here charge a fortune, so as I said, pay now and get moving for a job, or stay unemployed.

What do you think, will drilling in the frame damage the bike to an unusable status in the near future (and then waste the $250 I spent on the bike)?

ddesens

Jun 27, 2011
New Port Richey, FL.
I'm not sure if there is a craigslist there but you could try that for cheap tools. You could also post and ad on there for anyone that could help you with your build.
Off topic but could I ask why you moved all the way to New Zealand? Sounds very adventurous!