Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I’m cruiser type on the bars.. my everything goes numb fast unless I get a good position on bars. Then it’s just my hands that go numb! That’s a lot of miles you do Rick. The return leg is a great time to have 3/4 battery life!
The cruiser bars & a more upright position would definitely help the numbness & that's just what it is! The low bar position demands I use considerable effort from hands, arms & shoulders to support my upper body position, but it's this exaggerated forward body lean that protects my back, catch 22, so catching a stretch every 8 to 10 miles is a concession I need pay homage to.

I've yet to clean the hybrid, but plan a ride early tomorrow along another scenic route that is paved, but lightly traveled. That ride is dependent on getting a good nights rest 'cause it's a really long circular route not just out and back legs at least four hours at 30 mph.

I'm pushing these e-bikes and to a degree myself as well. I've a really long trip planned for this Fall and feel the hybrid will be the bike I chose to ride. I must prove it capable first.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I left before daylight this morning on the hybrid & returned home six hours later after a102 mile ride. The route I selected was in really bad repair. The rains this year have wrecked havoc on some of these asphalt secondary roads. I selected state maintained roads coming back and the pace was a lot quicker. I used gas power only on these roads, but toured the destination town extensively using only the e-hub, enjoyed breakfast as well and the bike attracted much attention followed by the inevitable questions...

I stopped several times along the way & I feel great this mid afternoon, but don't expect to take another ride of length until this Fall & that will be several days in length.

I've confidence the hybrid is up for it though I question my ability to cover 150 mile legs over the course of multiple days as I'm planning on.

Rick C.

102 miles roundtrip.jpg

Rest stops were pleasant.

Weatherford park 1.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm impressed with the rolling qualities of the e-hubs with straight pedal power not much felt resistance compared to the wheels they replaced. More noticeable at start but once rolling a flywheel momentum takes over. The bearings in these direct drive hub motors are really superior and should not be a problem at sustained speeds during long rides & the spokes are 11 gauge on mine. The rear wheel on my fatty is laced up with 14 gauge spokes and there's no way they would long hold up on the roads I traveled yesterday on the hybrid, which has 12 gauge spokes on the rear and made the hundred mile ride intact, but I'm thinking a 10 gauge re-lace or replacement wheel & hub are in the future for the hybrid; while the Fatty will receive an identical 1K e-hub motor on the rear with heavy spokes. The higher tech sealed bearings will eliminate the periodic re-pack and bearing replacement that is required with even the highest quality bicycle hubs, with the exception being those few that run sealed bearings, road bikes and endurance style competition bikes, and these aren't often used on cruiser style moto frame builds. Price wise the fat tire e-hub and controller wheel is comparable to the cost of a high quality/strength wide wheel by itself, though the standard width wheel comparison between the two isn't quite as inexpensive, but then you're still stuck with coaster brake rear, which is more authentic, but stops for crap.

Just my observations which may be close to coaster brake efficiency levels.

Have fun!

Rick C.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
6 hrs or 102 miles I’m debating which is crazier! Sounds like a fun time. I see you leaning hard into these ebikes... The combo of gas and electric will let you go almost anywhere ,which in return will make for a relaxing ride knowing you can switch if needed.Do you lace up your own wheels Rick?

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Operative word crazier! It was a blast and I slept well that night. I use to lace wheels but it's been years now. I seem to value my time more than my money these days. I've a private bet with myself on which I'll run out of first. The e-hubs are pretty much an upgrade from good bicycle wheels as stated previously, but the rear wheel of my hybrid could do with a nice disk ready, heavy duty hub and 10 gauge spokes. I'm eyeing the Ghetto wheel setup as my replacement if it's dimensions line up with my Grubee frame. I just need to get with them on the necessary details before pulling the trigger.

My tangents are odd I realize, but the hybrid is sorting out to be a bike that could benefit from some extra investment and the complete Ghetto setup is really not too expensive on a bike I've already spent too much money on...

The hybrid got a lot of lookover from the cops on my longest ride but no stops involved so I think I can ride it almost anywhere. The university cops are hard on everyone from pedestrians to bikes and I got a thumbs up from two different campus patrols along my ride. Slow and silent seems to work wonders with these guys.

Rick C.
parked hybrid.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Fifty mile rides are getting to be the norm on the hybrid and just completed first 500 total miles after conversion. I like this configuration with the 36 tooth sprocket it purrs at 45mph & no strain. All my starts use the electric hub and this is so easy on the little clutch plus the electric accelerates quickly to speed & I no longer feel I'm an impediment to following traffic at stop signs, 'cause I'm not!

I use the electric for most riding under 20 mph and that's a peaceful ride. The gas motor is modified enough that rpm's are required to smooth it down and with the 36 tooth in place that's above twenty mph, great gear for cruising not so much as the 48 tooth was for town rides. Slow speeds are perfect for the 500 watt hub and it will pull to 22mph on it's own.

The hybrid weighs in at 85 lbs. not a lightweight, but the plus is it handles cross winds much better and because the extra weight is quite low in the chassis it handles better as well. The extra weight is all forward and helps offset the extreme weight bias of the board track design with the riders weight on the rear axle. Overall balance is still not central but is much improved and I can feel the front tire working in the corners now.

I'll be looking at improving the rear wheel and drive hub components and a disc brake on the rear coupled with Maxxi tires all 'round to augment safety & reliability on the longer rides I've planned for this Fall. Some of the roads are gravel, secondary routes, so appropriate tires/final drive sprocket are required.

We will also have a support vehicle along for the trip so tools, parts, fuel & charging will be available as rescue and way point support. Should be fun!

Rick C.

Last edited:
Reactions: fasteddy and FOG

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Simplex Copper Gator is due a road trip so today I'll mount it for a thirty mile ride to lunch and back before the afternoon heat gets bad. Need to adjust the primary chain first. We're forecast a really nice morning so I'll not be pushing her very hard to cover ground.

Rick C.

Ride 'em don't hide them!

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ride was way too short but really fun on an absolutely beautiful morning. GPS indicated a whooppy 20mph average with a top seed of 30 mph! Just watching the country side.

The Simplex rides great, though not a great low speed handler 20mph on up is wonderful riding. One reason is it's extended wheelbase, 6" stretch over stock design coupled with a little extra positive lead on the girder/leaf fork. Longer wheelbase is easy to build into a shop fabricated frame like I built for the Simplex, and it's not hard to extend most off the shelf cruiser frames that are so popular to motorize as this forum proves.

The Schwinn chopper guys and innovative forum builders like Jeff Wolf have fabricated wonderful yet simple extension drop plates that are bolted and or welded to the existing drop plate/tubes (seat and chain stays) to increase wheelbase by 3 to 4 inches. Properly attached these drops accomplish and improve several aspects of a motorized bike build. The primary improvement is overall ride stability at increased speeds. Bike frames, including forks, are designed for pedal bike speeds so the addition of motors that are capable of doubling those speeds is now common and greatly exceed the original bicycles design parameters and this is a life threatening problem. Every frame is not a good candidate for lengthening in this fashion, total weight, including the riders weight, needs to be examined as does engine power & speed potential. The frame may need additional grommets in strategic locations for strength etc. Frame material, aluminum or steel and composition are also relevant.

Lengthening also allows the builder to mount wider tires, allows more room for chain clearance, sprocket/ hub/brake rotors etc. to be mounted thus simplifying some common motorized bike build problems. It isn't a one fixes all solution though, just simplifies some of it. If your sick of dealing with vertical drop frames; lengthen using horizontal axle drop configuration for your extension plates and add axle adjusters...makes wheel adjustments and chains less problematical.

I've a couple of bikes that are excellent candidates for lengthening with extension plates my hybrid, being my favorite test mule, is first in line being a short wheelbase & a bit cramped for alterations I'm considering for brakes, wheel and tire setup. The extra length (4") should also help center the bikes point of balance....finally! If not I'm thinking of adding a leaf spring (down sized) to the girder fork like is on the Simplex to add weight up front along with suspension. With the rear wheel mounted further aft I can add an air shock saddle suspension like on the Simplex as well.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
This is a full 53" wheelbase on the Simplex, which allows a saddle height 3" lower than tire diameter (26") ground clearance is 3.5" & engine's super low center of gravity is also 3" below the axle height which wouldn't be possible without the frames overall 6" stretch and angled lower tubes.

This frame is really stable at highway speeds The low center of gravity really helps in the corners and I really like the feel & look of the low ride height.

I'm hoping the dropout extensions on the Grubee frame will facilitate some ride enhancement as well.

Simplex stretch.jpg

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I dig your simplex! I’ve seen my share of Frankinstien simplex bikes with every motor possible . The only one that looks good besides OG motor is yours... you’ve done great work on this one... my Fav!
Thanks guys! The Simplex in it's third iteration, I think, continues to receive some modifications leading into completing a sidecar for her.

Ride height & dimensions for the Simplex are what I'd like to export to other "completed" bikes via the addition of dropout extension plates. compare the Simplex height and length to my Harley peashooter & the Grubee hybrid. They are about 5" higher at the saddle. Locating the wheel 4" further back on both bikes would allow the saddle to be lowered & on the Harley a few inches of shift to the rear as well for a less cramped riding position and a really racy look and feel.

Harley peashooter tribute.jpg

5 cemetary cruise.jpg

This little hybrid has got a lot going on, that's not readily apparent with a glance, with more to come...definitely not just a kit build.

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
That's an enviable stable of steeds, Rick. And they all keep getting 'tweaked' for the better.
Your commitment to the hobby and willingness to share your experience and findings via this forum is a major part of what drew me into this addictive hobby. Keep up the buildin' and ridin' !

4izzy

Aug 23, 2019
Help.........Good?bad?Lean?perfect?Spark plug reading?what does this reading mean?jet number #75 just installed? Plug and jet just installed took it for a ride down the road gave it some small revs riding Low and mid good,Smooth but at top end it acts little weird..ima say like poping but not really loud its from exhaust,Like she want to go but it's getting held back..Runtong Carb,upstate Ny 505 elavation..and baffle is removed...B7HS SparkE..gaped at 25

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Welcome to the forum 4izzy!

Plug reading is important for sure, this plug is certainly a new one. I'll ask a few questions. Has the engine been thoroughly broken in, two or three tanks of break in mix fuel, minimum? If so are you now running a 32:1 mix of oil to gas? If the bike was broken in was it running good, bad, about like it is now...before you changed plugs? How long did you ride the bike before reading the plug?

The plug looks too fresh to read with much understanding, but if you put some miles on this plug I'd say you need a bit more oil in the mix. I'd suggest running the plug just as it is for a few days of mixed riding, don't force the high speed if this is a relatively new motor, just run it up and down the full power range until you hit that resistance and back off to cruise speed. Repeat this several times each ride at some point you should feel this hesitancy give way. Then read the plug again. I like to see a pink color on the insulator, no fouling gummy look, electrode dark..not really wet but trending that way, no signs of burning or fouling.

Good photos.

Rick C.

Reactions: fasteddy

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
That's an enviable stable of steeds, Rick. And they all keep getting 'tweaked' for the better.
Your commitment to the hobby and willingness to share your experience and findings via this forum is a major part of what drew me into this addictive hobby. Keep up the buildin' and ridin' !
Thanks Pete. I received the same treatment from the forum members when I started posting and still do. I'm just attempting to pay it forward. Great bunch of people and I include you in this wonderful and addictive mix of enthusiasts!

Rick C.