Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Happy Birthday Rick! Ever try star lock washers on any of them parts, used in aircraft. Made in internal and external,just a thought.............Curt
Curtis I do at times use stars as well as Ny-locks and traditional lock washers, but with the advent of Locktite I've used them less. The bonding agent does need to be reapplied to fasteners after one has dis-assembled a part multiple times to maintain it's efficacy however. Combination of new and old stuff and stars certainly work well.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Happy Birthday, Rick. Ever feel your far to young to be this old?

Steve.
Thanks Steve I do feel I've gone to far to be this useless, lol....it seems just the other day I was playing pickup basketball all afternoon and spent each night picking up girls. Priorities have changed a bit both day and night. I celebrated BD. with a coke float after lunch!

Rain barely effected us yesterday and today and the forecast completely changed to mild and dry which is totally back on sync historically. I'm hoping to catch up on almost three months of spring repairs and maintenance while it's dry, but will settle for what I can get done.

Rick C.

Last edited:
Reactions: fasteddy

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
On close examination the rear wheel of the Hybrid isn't cocked, but the hub adapter that had loosened allowed the sprocket to move inward on the hub and the chain to barely rub the tire sidewall...easy fix but I'm amazed that the adapter slipped inward .25" and didn't rotate into the spokes and cause damage. How is this even possible?

I'm puzzled but it's fixed.

Rick C.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Glad you got it fixed, maybe it was something over looked when assembling, i now i have missed a few things through the years, nut or bolt not tightened, one of them oops things that cause bad mouth to flap. LOL...........Curt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Lol yes Curtis I forgot to add more Loctite and then neglected checking during that longer ride, 25 miles at 20 mph average is a real test & I shouldn't have waited to check critical fasteners that had so recently been installed. The complete front and wheel assembles were changed out including tires and tubes. No matter how well a CG is put together and mounted there's still some vibration going on as well as the new stuff settling in. Shame on me for my oversight, but the only damage suffered was to my pride...it was awake up call to not take anything for granted; trust but verify!

Yesterday the bolt up between engine and expansion pipe (also recently added) showed a leak so that was addressed as well, but have any of these things been permanently fixed? Perhaps, but I'll continue riding and verify routinely for as long as it takes to put my mind at ease...that may be awhile.

I'm certainly liking my choice of 500 watt 36 volt front hub. GPS says 22mph top speed & that's fine by me. The motor is only secondary power for backup running in an emergency. My repeated daily use is for initial startups without pedaling and the electric hub total replaces the slipping of the clutch for takeoffs from dead stops during the course of town riding and with the 2 stroke running, these being complete stops to yield the right of way to other traffic. Though I've not encountered overheating in parade settings this is the answer to that possible situation as well and again saving the wear and tear on the tiny clutch.

My towns city police and the counties Deputies are really cool with operating all my bikes untagged, but surrounding municipalities are not. So in their world I'll operate on strict electric power and have the clutch completely locked out for proactive compliance and maintaining good public relations with local constabulary.

Several days of use and the battery is still showing full charge and riding is really enhanced through the daily use of the electric hub. I'd think my fuel mileage in town will be significantly improved as well. I've neglected weighing in at the local grain scales, but will do that and post the results.

I know there are a few really nice hybrid bikes out there, but the one that got me rev'd up to build my own was a Schwinn "orange county" chopper version that was and is just too cool!

All in all I'm calling this a win, but keeping an eye on it.

Rick C.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm loving the hybrid for engine startups & complete starts from stop without feathering the clutch...clutch pads could last forever with this setup. Who needs an electric start motor....this works. Troubled with the range limitations with your ebike no problem with the hybrid. Want more speed at lower rpm drop your 44 t rear and go 34t or 36 t without pedaling at stops or uphill...the front hub hybrid can eliminate the need for pedal assist with small rear sprocket on all but the steepest climbs. I'm running a 48t but will go to a 36t soon, not for speed but for smooth midrange cruising 25 to 35 mph, at low engine rpm. Lower rpm less friction, heat equals longer engine life and more riding fun I really encourage others to consider the hybrid a really viable option on motorized bikes.

I'm considering flat tires the main cross country concern at this point & even that isn't a big deal when you pack basic tools. air cartridges tubes etc.

Of course run out of gas or break a chain, no worries don't need either with e hub. 3 way power pedal, gas and electric completely complement one another. My hybrid is a single speed, but multi speed would be nice on some builds...3,7 0r 8 speed hub or cassette shifter. Lots of creative options with the hybrid.

I took a 10 mile ride on my hybrid this morning and I'm still at high, midrange battery power left in the battery and this was on the original battery charge & many days of riding and using a tank and a half of fuel, with no pedaling at all!!

Rick C.
PhotoPictureResizer hybrid.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
36 tooth sprocket goes on today. I'm still finding real riding advantages with the hybrid. Running a smaller rear sprocket is now quite practical because the bike can now be ridden as slow as the rider is capable of balancing the bike, with no engine bucking, overheating worries, stalling or overworking the tiny clutch and at these low speeds where gas engines of any type don't operate with as much efficiency the e-bike just sips a tiny bit of energy with very low battery drain. I did my first recharge yesterday after two weeks of riding using the e-hub and it topped up in 3.5 hrs.not bad. Now my full disclosure is that the gas motor was the primary power used, but in town the hub was used often and both performed well in their assignments.

The two throttles do remind me of the very early bikes dual throttle setup for fuel and spark advance. I got used to the twin setup with little difficulty.

Going to 36 t for lowering cruising rpm's won't adversely effect my ability to ride the bike daily around town because the e-hub has zero to 25mph covered (verified 25 mpg with GPS yesterday and was surprised as well as pleased) & it's smooth at the low end whereas the tuned 66 cc liked to buck at even 10 mph that with the48 tooth final drive. Not an issue now the gas engine at 20mph with the 36 t sprocket should be ok as should long steep hills without pedaling...the hub can run concurrently with the gas engine and provides more than three times the power of my old legs could ever do, but I can use my legs as well if ever needed.

In town the e-hub excels by every metric, but in sustained cruising the gas engine is boss: speed per dollar of investment, superior fuel conversion for distance and offer convenient and fast refueling along the way. Combined the two are better than one.

My little trailer setup for this bike just loves the slow smooth pace of the hybrid setup.

Just learning as I go,

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
hybrid trailer.jpg
hybrid trailer 2.jpg

36 tooth switch works much better than anticipated. A 30 mph cruise hardly uses any throttle to maintain speed the engine feels less busy along the way because it isn't. New clutch lockout lever works a charm and securely holds the clutch during e-hub cruises and I'm enjoying not having to fight the 2 stroke at minimum balance speeds. My biggest surprise was acceleration from 7mph or so isn't that bad with the gas engine only, but acceleration from zero to 15 mph is much improved using only the e-hub.

Trailer for big job!

Have a great Independence day!

Rick C.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ok so here's the deal now that the hybrid is reality my next electric modification will be to upgrade the fat tire bike to twin 48 volt 1,000 watt e-hubs on both front and rear, with twin controllers and two 48v. 15 amp lithium battery packs. Wired to run single or dual throttle, controlling one or both hubs together or individually and selectively utilize either battery pack shared or independently. 20 amp packs @ 52 volt, will eventually find a home in my all steel, cheap (Walmart type) Mongoose brand "Pug Ugly" fat tire ride: one of two I salvaged from curb side discards. No usable tires or wheels and one looked like it had been backed over by a car or truck and couldn't be saved, so I cut it up to see what it was made of and was a little impressed, but I may end up adding some grommets for additional strength on real (bad) country roads!

I'm not wanting more speed, far from it. I want more Jeep like qualities, utility, redundancy and range...all wheel drive, all terrain and every season utility vehicle with pedals and when it's completed I'll add a real all purpose utility trailer (for gear and more batteries) as well.

This is what I'm starting with:
20190502_175735-1224x1632[359].jpg

My location in the arid southwest portion of Indian Territory lends itself to such a purpose built bike.

Rick C.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Curtis I ordered the motor and controller, but held off on the additional battery. I'd like to feel how this rides and pedals before chunking down the $$ for yet another battery pack which will make four lithium packs I've bought in the last 3 months...the pack is worth it but only if this bike feels right with the extra motor on board.

I failed to mention that the rear hub will mount a rotor....so goodbye to the coaster brake as well. Though this is a single speed frame I may use the 5 speed cog on the hub and just manually change the ratio depending on usage. I've already a spring type tensioner in use on chain. Or just go "fixie" and have a perfectly straight chain line....

Let the fun continue!

Rick C.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Geez Rick are you a triplet? Are there 3 of you? You never stop working which is awesome! How many bikes are you holding in your herd? Good looking fatty. I love the wide rims .That beast there needs some dirt as Curt said.I don’t have a ebike....anymore. Because 3000 watt 72v 20” tires and 7 speeds was over kill.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Moto that's cool & I suppose overkill but still fun!

Thanks for the complements. My motto should have been dream the impossible and ride the improbable. I wish I still had the energy and motivation to build like I did just five years ago, but thankful for what I can do. I'm actually coming to electrics late, so learning as I go and of course forming opinions and preferences which will probably be modified after much riding.

My collection stands at seven motorized: the 2 stroke/e-hub hybrid, two electrics, two China girls and two 4 strokes Both 125cc Honda pushrod clones with 5 speed transmissions (10. 5 hp and 14 hp respectively). I also have a pristine vintage Cannondale full suspension MB that just sets there and begs for an electric motor as well.

I just got back from an hour of riding gravel and dirt roads on the fat tire bike. Dirt and gravel here in great abundance. My "Pug ugly" loves deep gravel and deep sand and though my full suspension mountain bike with 2.4" Maxxis is great in gravel the fatty far surpasses it in stability, if not comfort (full air ride front, rear and saddle). it has a 36v. 500 watt e-hub.

Love your work as well the Excelsior is a great piece work!

Rick C.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I noticed a wobble yesterday on the Hybrid, felt like a fork bearing, but in reality was the rear hub cone that I'd obviously done a poor job of adjusting prior to assembling the rear wheel...that was two errors committed (1st. was the hub adapter) on my part and no runs (damage) scored! I should do better than that...

Greatly humbled.

Rick C.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm replacing the battery pack I robbed off my mountain bike electric to build the hybrid, but now upgraded to 15 amp from the original 12 amp pack. still 36 volt lithium. It's in a black anodized case this time around.
That was quick 20 minutes & I was powered back up on the Mountain bike & a one hour ride on it was uneventful therefore pleasant. Beautiful morning in Indian Territory so I'm heading out on the hybrid this time. Rick C.

Rick C.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I rode my hybrid over the five cemetery trail, 44 miles, round trip yesterday morning on the hybrid with one short stop to stretch and take photos. One hour 45 minutes with 6 miles of deep gravel that will have me cleaning the bike today. At 72 years young the board track stance isn't ideal for rides of this length, but I wanted to test the bike in both the electric and gas driven modes over varied terrain & this ride is mostly hilly with truly flat section rare and short. No pedaling required at any point along the way. I used the electric going through a small town( pop. 500) & several areas that were of scenic interest & I needed a snails pace to view them from.

The hybrid takes much of the concern out of longer rides that involve battery power alone. Though the mountain bike with ehub assist used on only the climbs would no doubt have made this cruise on one battery pack (36 v. 15 amp) as well and (being full suspension) my comfort level would be greatly improved.

Great morning & nothing fell off or loosened up on the hybrid, though my fatty or mountain bike are much better in the deep gravel... and that's a fact.

The Church shown is located at the highest elevation in the county & the lights of 5 towns can be seen at night from this height.

Let's cruise our bikes often. Building is fun, but riding is joy!

Rick C.

5 cemetary cruise.jpg
5 cemetary cruise 2.jpg

Reactions: PeteMcP

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I hear 'ya Curt, this isn't the riding position I'd recommend to anyone, but it puts my body in the position my doctor suggested for riding with my back condition. With my body leaning forward the road pounding is absorbed by my hips and legs rather than my spinal column. The position is much the same as multispeed road bikes used by millions of bicycle riders.
I have only 2 bikes out of nine that don't follow this design formula and one of those is seldom ridden and then only on super short rides and the other "sit up" style is the fat tire bike and I'm still experimenting with it's bar and saddle height alignment.

I ride these track style bikes every day and over the last decade I've really strengthened my back and abdomen so I don't notice it being difficult, but my hands and arms are the first to complain on rides over twenty miles without an occasional rest break along the way.

I did twenty six miles this morning on the mountain bike, a strictly highway ride, and after yesterdays ride my hands are now feeling it. The new 36 v. battery charged back in under three hours so I didn't come close to discharging it though I used it hard on the return leg and on each hill going out. I averaged 15 mph out and 18mph coming back with a light wind in my face, and many hills going both ways.

Rick C.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I’m cruiser type on the bars.. my everything goes numb fast unless I get a good position on bars. Then it’s just my hands that go numb! That’s a lot of miles you do Rick. The return leg is a great time to have 3/4 battery life!