Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Small town life in crisis situations would be well worth duplicating in the metros Pete. Forget blame and hand wringing just get it done.

Deliveries of parts are slowing a bit here, but the grocer's shelves are full. False positive on the only reported case of Corona in this county so far. Fifty bed (max) hospital locally and one Doctor, not ideal for large scale outbreak I'd surmise, but a large capacity nursing home could be pressed into service.

Battery tank on it's way, normally would already be here and half dozen other parts in route from U.K., China and U.S. Things to do while waiting, but whittled my list down to a couple of dozen to do items. The biggest item is getting the 72v. battery built and delivered, though I'll be able to ride and test with a 48v. battery.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Sportsman tank arrived today, quick ship and well packed. These stainless, Harley style tanks have no waves or ripples due to poor box brake work or welding heat distortion. This is the second tank Pat's supplied me with the first a fuel tank for my Harley Pea shooter and now a battery tank and both perfect in fit and finish. The battery tank is a little larger and is a bottom loader, with a heavy duty stainless cover. I show a bung and cap in the photos that I may use, not decided yet. It's one I'd ordered for a torpedo tank that I've still not completed. Pat could have mounted the bung for me but I didn't want to hold up shipping & I'm still not sure I'll mount one...so there's that.

Good day at the mail box as well, several small items arrived others yet in the system.

Rick C.

e-tank.jpg
e-tank 2.jpg
e-tank 3.jpg
e-tank 4.jpg

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Always a shame to have to paint such tanks - but I guess paint isn't the order of the day on this one. Presumably you're planning on adding decals to a bare metal tank? How will you patina stainless to blend in with the rest of the build's aged steel parts?

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
That's what I faced building my Sportsman based Harley Peashooter & I just left the tank natural. With my Schwinn Excelsior I painted the stainless tank black. I'm actually thinking I'll paint the frame, forks and tank satin black on this one, and add red Harley water slides on the tank. Black was one of the four early factory color options. I don't have a client to please at the moment so things are being approached a bit differently as a result. Kinda shoot for an older restore look done in the eighties and subsequently well cared for?

Stainless ages well & dulling is about all I know to do to it. I did a torch burned stainless tank on a bobber once that looked great, but it didn't look aged.

I'm really at the point of assembling one more time before painting and final assembly. I still have elements I need to work on but I'd like to get everything aligned and tested first.

Rick C.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Mounted the tank starts to fill some space and that made the motor look small & believe me it's not. One aspect of board track V-twins that I admire is looking stuffed with motor and no room for anything else that got in the way of going fast, just bare bones racers.

Rick C.

tank & frame.jpg

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Silent grey ghost hounds of '15....Steve...notice the difference in the shape of the stock CG head, kinda' square and the aftermarket is round.

Bolted back in frame & I'm diggin' it! It's got the 2KW 48v. motor in it and I'll hook a small 50 amp controller to it. My 48 v. lithium pack can continuous 40 amp and max 80 so the controller will only allow 50 max. or 2,400 watt & 3.19 hp. It's fine for testing & I have it in hand.

If it can spin up to 4500 rpm with the reduction gear & 44 tooth final on the 28" diameter tires the calculator shows 44mph but that assumes the rider and bike weigh very little and the wind calm and narrow frontal area (think razor blade edge).

Rick C.
Heads.jpg
drive side.jpg

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Nice setup Rick,
Engine/transfercase won't leak on the carpet cause it's electric.
Pete should like how you have emulated his bike pose style. And I notice your Jaguar painting in the background, fitting as both the subject and the painting are masterpieces.
Tom

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
For the last ten years all my bikes start in the house, some stay longer than others. When they go wet though they are relegated to outside. The full electrics may get a pass but once they hit daily use they stay out.

Thanks Tom wildlife art was one of my passions when my vision was good, but I can't handle the eye strain anymore. The stuff on the walls are the last work I did pre 2001. These were all done for my Dad he enjoyed watching me draw and paint and would stare at his animals for hours. The cats were his favorites Ocelot, Jaguar and Tiger especially, Bobcat's & Leopards not so much. I hadn't painted anything for years and haven't painted since. He was a great guy!

Rick C.

Attachments

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Pat. Started out making wooden duck decoys and handmade calls, then painting. Followed up with a few novels. Stuff to keep me busy and if it's not fun I don't do it

Cover art for one of my novels. I made the titanium tactical folder as a prototype & kept one for myself. The .45 is my custom match grade that I tuned up in another life, it's one of two. I like building & creating stuff.

Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
The more I get done the more things I add to my list of things to do. Photo shows throttle grip needs to be cut down 3" to match up the grip lengths of the half throttle & tube plug installed on the bar end. I went ahead and used 1" tube clamps to hold the little controller in place rather than use zips. The 72v. controller is three times as large physically. Glass sediment bowl will look good connected to the larger carb with copper line. Also the exhausts will be stubs, too much rams horn look about these as they are. Engine will be lifted about and inch too & shifted .75" to the rear. Top mount fabrication is waiting on engine height to be finalized. Same with pedal sprocket size, it won't be very big and also pedal clearance will have to be dealt with. Fuel bung location and engine mount brackets determined with final motor height decision. Lot of cosmetic details to complete after paint goes on. All these added to the long list I'd made a couple of weeks ago and I'm less than halfway through completing it.

I aged the brass carb with a mild acid wash accelerant...turned out about right and time will get it perfect.

All the brake lever is for, at the moment, is to activate the regenerative braking. Later I'll add discs front and rear on sealed bearing hubs for daily riding.

When things appear 80% complete, and close to going to paint, that's actually off by 25% in my experience.

Rick C.

extra things to do.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
If I'm to do a black bike: frame, wheels, tires, tank, saddle and motor ; then a little metal contrast here and there is all I've got to work with other than a Harley tank decal. Brass fittings, fasteners and a little copper tubing. Cast finish heads and some unpolished aluminum side cases are pretty much it. Most of the bare or plated metal centers on the motor. Creating a visual interest without color flash or a lot of shiny isn't easy on monochromatic projects. Shape and contrast...

Throttle grips pair up better now. I need to add a tube plug to the left grip as well. When I install the front and rear disk hubs I'll revisit my control options.

The battery recharge plug will go under the fuel cap which is screw on type bung with O-ring seal.

Rick C.

half grip throttle.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Tony I draw a line through the completed item in pencil so I can erase in case they aren't & yes obsessive-compulsive can be transmitted human to human, generally not fatal but typically quite irritating.

The photo below is current but in a few days will be noticeably changed, just the process, and none of them involve paint; which comes later.

Rick C.

Harley Mag drive case.jpg

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Every time I look at the bike it's hard to believe it's not going to start up and flames won't shoot out the exhaust. Being a perfectionist isn't a bad thing but it sure does affect a persons sleep if your affected. Trying to go to sleep while thinking about how you should do what you just did a little better and then waking up in the middle of the night with the answer is not always a lot of fun.

Steve.

Last edited: