Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Silverbear I keep finding an hour here & there to get a bit more done on the Simplex Cajun-Gator and the Chevy pickup rat rod is about done...whew! I'll try to take a few photos of the rod today & post them. I mocked up the twin tanks today & had just enough space even with the forward engine mounting position which will give me another 2" of forward space. Hope for some quality time tomorrow to work on the Gator. Photos shows the tanks crudely joined together & wedged into position to show feasibility of mounting position only. Gotta keep perspective while fabricating cause these things usually get kinda ugly during build but usually shine up on completion. Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Plymouth got a lot of love at the car show today but no trophies. Fun as always and met a lot of cool car & bike folks, beautiful weather & large turnout of both entries & enthusiasts. Have one more show next weekend & that's it until September/October. Taking the rat rod pickup & probably the Indian Scout as well as the Indian Navaho Grubee they usually triple the number of people who stop & visit at a show (no matter what 4 wheel vehicle I'm showing) motorized bikes have not made great inroads here in Indian Territory but I'm trying to change that by just riding daily & smiling a lot, joy is compelling stuff. Rick C.

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Yeah Butch since 1963 been building bikes, sports cars & hot rods. Post up a photo of your T bucket here if you like. i'd enjoy seeing her!

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Finished the front fuel tank mount, the photos show it now bolted to the frame, the rear tank mounts (not yet fabricated) will stabilize & establish the tanks downward angle by dropping the rear of the tank about 1.5" & parallel to the frames top tube angles. As the photos indicate I'll be using quite a bit of copper to accent this build on the engine as well as the frame. I like the contrast of black, silver/chrome & copper/brass. Vintage look some shiny, some patina....
The solid silver engine/5 speed hurts my eyes and needs toneing down for sure; in order to really stand out.

I'm liking the balance, support & stability the double tube frame gives the motor /transmission it simplifies & strengthens the bike. By adding almost six inches of wheel base stability should be enhanced & the straight upper tubes will accomidate tire sizes up to 26"x 3.25". I may want to run a larger width in the rear or switch to moped hubs, wheels & brakes in the future so wider is better.

At this point I'm really leaning towards a wide co-axle engine & pedal drive system as it really solves my drive issues & is clean and simple...less cluttered & eliminates the need for a chain tensioner. Rick C.

Attachments

• Wow

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Butch I'm fortunate to have several projects underway right now as it has slowed me down on all while giving me time to re-evaluate each on it's own merits & making a little progress on each. I posted yesterday that the rear triangle area would easily accomidate a larger tire & last evening I viewed the Gator from various angles with the 2.4" tire mounted on the rear, then swapped in a 24" x 3" tire & wheel combination for comparison...and man did it make a difference! I then ordered a 26"x 3" to mount on the wide Sta-tru 2.135" steel wheel. This combination will quite likely stand 28 inches or close to it, as the 24"x3" is exactly 26" when mounted...frame height will rise a bit, which is a good thing & I hope the additional forward rake angle will appear a bit more aggressive to match the bold rake angle of the front forks. The forks remain at the original factory angle & I'll stick with the 26"x2.4" front assembly. I like the racy look the small tire gives with the wider rear tire. Kinda' like an old fuel drag bike.
I'm shooting for a vintage early 1900's board track look, but one that is updated not trying to copy any manufacturer's style but giving tribute to all. Simplex, New Orleans did not build a board tracker (most certainly not equiped with pedals) but I want this remnant of a 1957 frame to be recognizable to fans of the marque. Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
The stock dropouts of the Simplex are nominally 5.25" to 5.5" I didn't change that as it is quite ample. In streaching the top frame tubes the distance between the tubes naturally widens as the distance to the drops increases as was previously posted a gradual, almost imperceptable, outward bowing of the two top tubes provides more room for tire clearance, up the tubes, where a fender cross tube brace is normally placed. The hubs I'm using are on a 110mm coaster Sta-tru wheel, heavy duty, but just bicycle stuff. Even though this bike has the power and gearing for highway speeds I seldom cruise much over 40mph & even that only for short streaches. I might one day lace up some heavier hubs & wheels, matched with appropriate tires & brakes, but for now bike stuff will do for MY use but for high speed, extended cruising upgrading would be appropriate. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'd mentioned the possibility of using an air shock over air spring for rear saddle suspension & finally located the shock in a parts box. Bought it new a couple of years back & never used it so today I mocked it up on the Cajun Gator. Lower mounts are pretty much the way they'll be. I used Harley tube clamps & all thread. I'll have to wait on the 3" rear tire to locate & build the top spring pivot support. It's just wedged under the strap spring at this point. I envision the final top pivot point to be 2" to 3" further back which will angle the shock & lower the seat a bit as well. I plan on wrapping the black shock body in real copper as well. Rick C.

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I want to know what it accelerates like, off the line it will startle a lot of cars.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Anne I consider you a purist & devotee to tradition & a compliment from you means a lot 'cause the Cajun Gator is several degrees off 'legal" restoration limits.

Ludwig I'd like an answer to how it will perform as well & brisk acceleration & tractability is far more important to me than top end speed.Your past input has me very hopeful in regard to both.

Silverbear you got me started thinking "copper" & you won't believe how much of the pretty stuff I've got already collected to put into this build. I'm starting to think I should have named this the "Bootlegger Bike" or perhaps the "Simplex Still". I started to do a copper fuel tank but decided not to go the full distillery route & hold that back for a future project involving a pure "alcoholic" engine that requires a breathalizer test to start.

Found a new saddle pivot bracket in my "already bought it but never used it" collection, turned it around & upside down & now have a perfect top mount for the air spring/air shock on the rear of the saddle. I really need to go through & inventory all the stuff I've purchased/collected over the years & use some of it!

Photos show the shock angled back as a result of adding two inches of length to the rear shock pivot & I think it looks a lot better in this position. Rick C.

Attachments