Oil/gas drip from exhaust port

GoldenMotor.com

VermontCruizer

Jun 17, 2009
Vermont
I recently noticed that I have oil or gas/oil mixture leaking from the exhaust port where the exhaust pipe attaches to the engine. It's coming from that joint and dripping onto the bike frame........just a few drops but it is leaking.

Does anybody have any ideas what is causing this and a possible solution? The engine continues to run well, is fully broken in and and I am running a 25:1 fuel mix. Thanks!

Last edited:

shwnrttr

Dec 2, 2009
titusville, florida
25:1 is too much oil. one of my kits had a pin hole leak in the weld at the flange so make sure its not the weld. if not, get you a gasket. i make my own out of heavy duty aluminum foil a couple of sheets stacked on each other works every time.

VermontCruizer

Jun 17, 2009
Vermont
What gas:oops:il ratio should I be using?

The engine is fully broken in (over 400 miles on it) and I was just following the assembly instructions that said after break-in go to a 20:1 so I thought 25:1 would be OK.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The instructions have been wrong for YEARS.

24:1 max for break in, then 32-50:1 after depending on the oil you choose.

Personally, I break in and run the same mix- 40:1 Penzoil. Never had a failure.

VermontCruizer

Jun 17, 2009
Vermont
Well, I did 16:1 for the break-in.

No wonder I have a carbon crust on the piston and spark plug!

I will switch to the leaner 40:1 mix and replace the gasket. Thanks for helping me with this issue.

VermontCruizer

Jun 17, 2009
Vermont
I switched to the leaner mix of 40:1 and also sandwiched the existing gasket between two pieces of heavy aluminum foil cut from the bottom of a disposable aluminum pie pan.....the leak seems to be gone now! it even seems quieter. Thanks for the gasket idea stacshwnrttr and bikeguy joe for the help.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Check the exhaust pipe studs every few rides. Motor mounts too! These engines shake bad so a little preventative maint.goes a long way. Don't overtighten and strip though...just check 'em regular. I've used 40:1 for thirty years with no issues. Use good quality oil.