Need Help On 2 Cycle

GoldenMotor.com

DeathRace

Jun 22, 2010
Illinois
I own a 2 cycle starfire 66/80cc with a 41 tooth sprocket everything else is stock. Im having a few problems that I need help with. Im a new rider and enjoying it very much but I have had it for a month and already have had many problems allow me to explain. I first built my motor to my huffy mountain bike. I then had it redone after a motor mount bolt breaking off. After it got fixed it ran great 32+ mph. My accl and clutch cable broke and I put on a new heavy duty cables on it but after I put on my accl cable it started in stopping and going stopping and going. This morning also the bottom of my exhaust fell off ( black stock exhaust ) while riding in the pooring rain and it shut off. and now I have a crome smaller exhaust. I noticed my spark wire came off the brain( black box ) so I screwed it back on and putting on the new exhaust. But now the bike wont even start. You pedal it and let off the clutch and it starts and you twist the throttle and you can hear the motor change while twisting with the handle but it wont move and it will just die down till shutting off. Any advice? THANKS MUCH I NEED THE HELP.

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
If the plug wire came out of the CDI (black box) it probably got pulled out taking some of the copper wire inside with it. Unscrew the wire from the CDI and cut off about a 1/2 inch unless it barely reaches the plug or buy a new wire (any autoparts store should have a 7mm plug wire cheap). If that doesn't work search the forums about trouble shooting the electrical system.

I'm not quit sure what you mean by this?
after I put on my accl cable it started in stopping and going stopping and going.
Do you mean the way the engine is running or is the throttle sticking and randomly returning? Could you explain this better?

DeathRace

Jun 22, 2010
Illinois
After I put on my accl cable on if your going down the road youll go a constant speed for about 4 mins or so then it will bogg down then return to speed then bogg back down.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The first thing to do is check for spark. Your engine is turning over, and the sound you hear while moving the throttle is just the engine turning, and when you open the throttle it changes the sound.

The other problem with it surging could be a number of things. I would check the spark first, get it running, then chase down anything else.

If you were riding in the pouring rain, you may want to remove the left cover (magneto side) and drain out any moisture, then spray some WD-40 in there or use a hair dryer to dry it thoroughly.

DeathRace

Jun 22, 2010
Illinois
On these bikes how do you check for spark? I know on a car you pull the wire off hole it to the plug and turn it over, How do you do this on a bike?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Pretty much the same way. Take the plug out, and turn the engine over with the plug grounded to the head. Have someone help you if you need three hands.

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
With the plug out it should be pretty easy to turn over. So just push or peddle it with the clutch engaged like you were gona start it. Ether method should be easy even if you don't have someone to help.

DeathRace

Jun 22, 2010
Illinois
Thanks for the information guys. I just paid 230 for this motor and a 90 dollar rebuild and im still replacing things on this bike. Any other oppions that could be causing this or that I should check? Also whats things you can do to help it gain horse power?

DeathRace

Jun 22, 2010
Illinois
Ok so I take the plug wire and plug off the motor and hold it next to the motor while I turn it over? or do i just take the plug wire off the plug and hold it by it? Please explain further sorry im new at this. These things are neat and very fun. Im just trying to understand them more bare with me I promise ill catch on

DeathRace

Jun 22, 2010
Illinois
Alright ill give it a try today along with spray WD-40 in the magnito for moisture. Is there any possiblities that the rain ruined to motor?

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Like Joe said see if you got spark first and then go from there. If you don't get spark disconnect the kill switch and try again. Then if you still don't get spark check the magneto for moisture. Also since you mentioned the wire came out of the CDI cut it in 1/4 in increments tell you see copper wire in the center so your sure the screw makes contact with the wire. Just make sure you don't cut it to short to reach anymore.

DeathRace

Jun 22, 2010
Illinois
Good deal once this is all figured out its going to be a mean bike. Im a risk taker I have been car drag racing for years and its time for the DeathRaces next year I have a somewhat of a track here I fly around at 30+ my bike total will be powder coated and have a 32 tooth sprocket all crome goodies perforance filters and carb port and polished and nitrous. thats going to be my cruiser. For the death races im making a nitro pedal bike. Ill keep you informed... Whats it mean if you disconnect the kill switch and it works?

DeathRace

Jun 22, 2010
Illinois
Well so far I have followed everyones advice. I bought a new plug and wire and connected it to the CDI box. I held it out and watched for spark while starting and no spark I then disconnected the red and black wire from kill switch and tried again still nothing. So then I took the cover off the MAG and no moisture but i sprayed WD-40 incase, Still nothing... Any other oppions? Could my CDI or Magnito be bad?