my OCC schwinn stingray is done :)

GoldenMotor.com

albert_c

Oct 21, 2010
San Jose, CA
Did you have any problems with mounting the sprocket to the rear wheel? Did the spokes line up with the sprocket holes? Or did you have to add the expense of getting the Livefastmotors hub?

albert_c

Oct 21, 2010
San Jose, CA
Thanks Bike Monster. From the sticker patterns on your ride, you and I have the exact same OCC Stingray. That bodes well for me as I am in the process of taking inventory on all the stuff I need to get this build going.

Although, I am still curious how the assembly on these hub adapters work. The pictures of the one on Pirate Cycles is tiny. Anyone have a better view into the assembly of these adapter hubs?

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
Ive never even looked at the adapter hubs so i wouldn't know... So what have you bought? I bought the bike, the engine kit, a #41 nickel plated roller chain, mirror, a special mount and exhaust from a guy called barry off of ebay (you need these), zip ties, a fake funny license plate, and oh ya to mount the gas tank i took my mounting brackets flip them upside down and drilled it into the frame, screw the brackets with a self tapping screw... i think that is it... 8D hope this helps....shft.

albert_c

Oct 21, 2010
San Jose, CA
So far I have just this, 1) The OCC Stingray ($59 from CL) and 2) the engine kit from Zoombicycles ($125).

I just pulled the wheel off and lined the sprocket up and inner edge of the holes on the sprocket don't clear the hub. I don't want to do any filing to make the hole bigger. Reason being, it is a lot of effort and won't be ideal and I am sure centering it will be a problem. Looks like I will be getting hub adapter from Pirate Cycles.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I have done Occ's with the rag joint and with the mm adapter. Both have worked out well. I would not be very concerned about having to open up the center. You cannot depend on these china sprockets having a true center.
Spend all the time that is needed to get that sprocket true. That effort will pay off bigtime. If you are still in school check with the automotive teacher. He will more than likley help you out with the sprocket.
When you are checking for the sprocket being true, measure from the axel. The plus part about the MM adapter is that you can easily change to another size sprocket with ease.
The 44 tooth is a bit large for the 24 in (outside diameter) Occ rear wheel. Usually a 36 to 34 tooth works better.
It is hard but don't rush anything and do the very best you can. Always use locktite where needed and always think SAFETY_SAFETY_SAFETY

Last edited: