My New Build

GoldenMotor.com

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
hi runner

run to the nearest scrap yard or neighbors kid´s bike !!!!!

use the drop outs from a scrap yard bmx bicycle

they are strong and have the cut and a local welding shop or muffler shop can get them in --use your axle and then some to insure sprocket spread and you are good to go for cheap!!!

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Thanks for the replies guys. I actually have one of my daughters old bikes I could possibly salvage the dropouts from. Also, I have a bunch of varying widths of steel here at work. I also have a local welding shop that has done work for me in the past. Just a little nervous about actually cutting off the current dropouts....lol

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Think I have a solution to my dropout issue........extensions!

image.jpg

I will make them out of 4130 plate steel I have at work. I will bolt them in. I will use the two smaller holes on the dropouts to position the extension and use two 3/8 inch bolts to clamp them in place. If everything is gravy, I can always have my local welding shop weld them in place.

First time ever really fab'ing up something like this. Thanks to monwren5 for the idea on his Nirve build.

I'm just nervous about actually cutting them off. Lol

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I have seen that somewhere else.... Maybe on a dyno frame. Make sure you weld or bolt the plates on the outside. It would look cleaner and will give you a little more room to play with.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
I was just reading that thread...lol! Think I will just stick with the wheels I origanlly wanted to use and wrap them in some hookworms.

Hey Culver....I noticed on that build you made a custom coaster brake arm/rod. Do you have any tips, advice, or tricks for me? I am probably gonna have to do the same thing.

Thanks

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Here are a few pics. I was board so I mocked the bike up. I'm still waiting on my wheels. And, no fenders. Lol. Paint is not quite done as well.

What do you guys think of the white walls? I'm starting to like them... I was wanting hookworms, but the more I look at the white walls they are growing on me.

image.jpg

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Finally got the dropout extensions finished. Just need to do a little fine tuning and then get them welded up!

I have an image in my head of how I want the bike to look, but when I actually look at the bike I realize it is going to take a lot of work!

image.jpg

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
I have since done some more work on the rear extensions. I now have everything running true and will be getting them welded in place. Will take pics soon.....

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Those extensions look killer! While your in the extension making mood you should fab me a pair :)

I dig the whitewalls, I like them on my Dyno also but the Im done trying to keep them clean. My order from Niagara Bikes should be here Friday and my Kenda K838 will be replacing the whitewalls.

Dan.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Those extensions look killer! While your in the extension making mood you should fab me a pair :)

I dig the whitewalls, I like them on my Dyno also but the Im done trying to keep them clean. My order from Niagara Bikes should be here Friday and my Kenda K838 will be replacing the whitewalls.

Dan.
Have you tried WD forty to clean them?