My new build! 29er unique look I think.

GoldenMotor.com

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
Hello all. I built my first motorized bicycle a couple years ago from a huffy crainbrook but once the frame went to crap I decided it was time to start a new build hence the Onyx cruiser.

I don't want to bore everyone with a full list but it includes the usual things:
Supposed "high compression" head (next mod will be a puch hi comp head)
Expansion chamber
Completely ported and polished cylinder
Nt carb
Broom stick handle bars
Red neck engineered graphics (pvc tape and vinyl pin striping) haha

To come:
Puch head
6v electrical system
Performance CDI

Thanks for looking! Comments/constructive criticism welcome!

Last edited:

Dobzeh

Apr 8, 2013
Florida

Ok well Im posting from my phone and now my original post seems to have dissappeared but ill try to post working link's.
Onyx 29? How in the world did you get all 9 bolts in rag joint? and i like the paint job is it spray paint or powder-coated
?

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
Actually its pvc electrical tape applied and then I hit it with a heat gun to get the best adhesion I could haha and the red is vinyl automotive pinstriping. The engine was painted with high temp paint then high temp clear.

Other mods include:
expansion chamber
Ported\polished top end
Standard nt carb
Broomstick handle bars

Things to come:
Performance CDI
6 volt system
Puch hi comp head.

I know I said all this before but since that post ran away with my wrenches im reposting it soery for the confusion folks! Thanks for looking comments/ criticisms welcome!

Dobzeh

Apr 8, 2013
Florida
Really nice bike.

You definitely need a front brake, tho.
the first thing i did when i bought my 29 was took it to the bike shop and had them replace the rear hub its cost 50 bucks but i didnt want the bearing to fail.

For breaks you want to remove the front fender and get a set caliper brakes and mount them were the fender mounts of get a v-brake mounting plate online i always think coaster brakes should be used for last resort.

Dobzeh

Apr 8, 2013
Florida
Actually its pvc electrical tape applied and then I hit it with a heat gun to get the best adhesion I could haha and the red is vinyl automotive pinstriping. The engine was painted with high temp paint then high temp clear.

Other mods include:
expansion chamber
Ported\polished top end
Standard nt carb
Broomstick handle bars

Things to come:
Performance CDI
6 volt system
Puch hi comp head.

I know I said all this before but since that post ran away with my wrenches im reposting it soery for the confusion folks! Thanks for looking comments/ criticisms welcome!
From the pictures is looks awesome i would have never thought electrical tape

Whats You max on this bike? My Onyx Goes 27-30 with upgrades plug and wires and porting have you noticed a increase of power over the stock pipe if you even used it on this bike?

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
Really nice bike.

You definitely need a front brake, tho.
It really could use one but wont ineed a new front hub to bolt the disk to? I don't see how I could Mount normal front friction brakes without replacing the front forks. Plus I don't want to rub the paint off the rim. Thanks! !dnut

Dobzeh

Apr 8, 2013
Florida
It really could use one but wont ineed a new front hub to bolt the disk to? I don't see how I could Mount normal front friction brakes without replacing the front forks. Plus I don't want to rub the paint off the rim. Thanks! !dnut
For breaks you want to remove the front fender and get a set caliper brakes and mount them on the front fender mount the one closest to the tire but make sure you get a old set of brakes they usual are longer and you want that i use http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Sidepull-Caliper-Brake-Black/dp/B000VT0DQG and they work fine if you want to keep the front fender just take the mounting screw off and slide the brake bolt trough fender mount hole this is what i did to my bike. the paint on my rim is still there after about 400miles

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
From the pictures is looks awesome i would have never thought electrical tape

Whats You max on this bike? My Onyx Goes 27-30 with upgrades plug and wires and porting have you noticed a increase of power over the stock pipe if you even used it on this bike?
That's about the top speed I get but the problem is she still had more to give and quite frankly I don't want to go any faster with just a coaster brake and no helmet. The expansion chamber helped alot id say just about as much as all of the headwork but it needs a header or a longer pipe between the motor and the chamber. I only say that because iwant more low end torque right now with the length of pipe it seems to give power in the mid range to top end I suppose it depends where you want your power. With the big 29" wheels I could use the low end.

Dobzeh

Apr 8, 2013
Florida
That's about the top speed I get but the problem is she still had more to give and quite frankly I don't want to go any faster with just a coaster brake and no helmet. The expansion chamber helped alot id say just about as much as all of the headwork but it needs a header or a longer pipe between the motor and the chamber. I only say that because iwant more low end torque right now with the length of pipe it seems to give power in the mid range to top end I suppose it depends where you want your power. With the big 29" wheels I could use the low end.
ya the 29s need the low end for sure.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Just my opinion, if you want low end, you could try a bigger sprocket.

If you don't wanna ruin the rim's paint, then you have two choices:

change to disc brake hub w/rotor and install this adaptor:

Or install a front drum brake.

Please wear a helmet.

If you research this site, you'll find a thread on this very nice, older man who paid great detail into buying an expensive, quality electric bike.He was an eloquent writer, and you could sense his anticipation as the thread evolved, with many members cheering him on. His new bike arrived, he went on his test ride and everyone here waited with bated breath on how he would critique his new ride.

We never heard from him again.:-||

A few days later, his wife informed us that her husband fell off his new bike on that maiden voyage, and was on life support @ the hospital. Soon after, he passed away. That was so freaking sad.

Please wear a helmet.

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
Just my opinion, if you want low end, you could try a bigger sprocket.

If you don't wanna ruin the rim's paint, then you have two choices:

change to disc brake hub w/rotor and install this adaptor:

Or install a front drum brake.

Please wear a helmet.

If you research this site, you'll find a thread on this very nice, older man who paid great detail into buying an expensive, quality electric bike.He was an eloquent writer, and you could sense his anticipation as the thread evolved, with many members cheering him on. His new bike arrived, he went on his test ride and everyone here waited with bated breath on how he would critique his new ride.

We never heard from him again.:-||

A few days later, his wife informed us that her husband fell off his new bike on that maiden voyage, and was on life support @ the hospital. Soon after, he passed away. That was so freaking sad.

Please wear a helmet.
I think I'm going to try a friction brake setup. Iguess if the paint comes off iwill just strip the rest off and polish the rim the shiny will match my headlight and handlebars muahhahaha!

On a serious note that is a sad story! I always wear full gear hot out or not on my xj 550 seca I will definitely look for a lighter helmet that's appropriate for motorized bicycle riding. I lost a friend on his motorcycle due to a drunk driver and he was wearing full gear, thats a different story but it goes to show how vigilant we must be when were riding anything with two wheels. Throttle open eyes open usflg

Dobzeh

Apr 8, 2013
Florida
I forgot to add I have a 50t sprocket but the bolt pattern is different and it won't fit no matter its orientation to the spokes very disappointing. :-||
just do what i said about the brakes and you will be fine i have used for about 400+ miles no problem and paint is still on rim

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I forgot to add I have a 50t sprocket but the bolt pattern is different and it won't fit no matter its orientation to the spokes very disappointing. :-||
I'm glad you're considering a helmet and vigilance.

Remove your rag joint metal retainer, line up the holes to your 50t sprocket and redrill new holes. It's an easy DIY task.

Dobzeh

Apr 8, 2013
Florida
I think I'm going to try a friction brake setup. Iguess if the paint comes off iwill just strip the rest off and polish the rim the shiny will match my headlight and handlebars muahhahaha!

On a serious note that is a sad story! I always wear full gear hot out or not on my xj 550 seca I will definitely look for a lighter helmet that's appropriate for motorized bicycle riding. I lost a friend on his motorcycle due to a drunk driver and he was wearing full gear, thats a different story but it goes to show how vigilant we must be when were riding anything with two wheels. Throttle open eyes open usflg
Heres the helmet me and my friends use http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fuel-Helmets-Inc.-Half-Helmet-Gloss/20890197 its light and comfortable and dot approved witch is a must for any Motor Bike helmet and its also not to expensive one of my friens took a fall with this helmet and the hemet proboly saved him a nasty cut