my henderson tribute

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I have not stick welded. I have used TIG and MIG. I own a small MIG 130 with 4 voltage setting and a feed rate speed.

I've tried to do thinner sheet metal and punches through. I have not tried yet what I can try to do to stop this. This is just a short tack like weld. Let it cool a while. Then you do another short tack like weld some distance from the first one. Then after a while all the tack welds meet up and over lap a little and no punch through.

Sounds very much like more work than I should bother with though.

One other thing I did was where applicable I back up thin steel sheet metal that I am welding with a thick piece of copper plate to spread the heat out. Also the steel weld does not stick so well to the copper plate and so again no punch through.

Use that info for what it’s worth, but what I would like for myself is a torch with O2 and acetylene some day. I'd be using a fan tip and silver solder for the thin sheet metal.

MT

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
A flame weld I think would be better suited if not with a TIG welder that varies heat way down. Though please see the use of flux core wire feed welder used by Drewbob for muffler pipe. He said it looked ugly, but I think he get it functional though.

Post #24 on Page 3 of Copper Exhaust???

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=43495&page=3

For myself I ended up with flex copper exhaust and brass and steel fittings with copper gaskets that thread together so no welding.

MT

Last edited:

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Thanks MT, I'll check that out!

And a question.. seeing as my old china engine died, I'm thinking of cannablizing it and using the clutch assembly on the henderson. It consists of capping off the old cylinder jug hole, then transfering the output cog from the old crank shaft to a keyway shaft that would be replacing the crank shaft. a sprocket would be on what used to be the magneto side, and would be direct chain connected to the output shaft on the engine. If it was solidly mounted, wouldn't this allow you to pedal start the four stroke engine? Or would you need to put on a compression release?.

Charlie

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I was at Airgas and they have MIG welders that are a bit more expensive than the one I have. What I saw was the Lincoln 210 has a variable adjust without detents for voltage.

Mine has the detents and only goes A,B,C & D. It may be that the Lincoln 210 with the better way it can vary down to lower voltage may be OK for the thin sheet metal.

MIG then may be OK for thin sheet metal, but of course I already have the welder I got and may try the tricks to get it to weld thinner sheet metal, but it won't be as easy and as quick.

It is just a thought, but if you are buying a welder and can spare a little more in the investment, this could be a consideration.

MT

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Well, I didn't want to risk my mediocre welding skills so I bit the proverbial bullet and brought it to school, and just welded it in my last hour welding class. We used the mig welder and today, we got the motor mount tacked in. Tomorrow we're going to add the top tube, and I'm hoping to get this thing welded before christmas break so I can start worrying about getting my wheels spoked, front and rear drum brakes. I just need to find two chunks of 1 inch tubing I can use for the top tubes, and the frame is done!

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn

Got as far as this today in welding class. Motor mount is fully welded in, neck is welded on & straight, at this point I'm looking for about 70 inches of tubing to make the top tubes. And I'm looking for some large diameter pip to make a tank from. I'm hoping to get the material for the top tubes and to get them welded in before , so I can work on sanding and possibly painting over christmas break.

Also pictured is my powerplant for this, an older 5 hp techumseh off a mini bike. It still has the throttle system hooked up, so after a quick go through and maybe some new rings and a fresh coat of paint it'll be ready for use.

It continues wth quite a bit of creative staring.

Charlie

Also; the big mall 2 man saw in the background is not mine unfortunately

Last edited:

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
Glad to see you making some headway on this. You mentioned pipe; going for a round gas tank?...an old fire extinguisher might do the trick...they hold plenty of gas and you can always extend it lengthwise with some sheet metal if it's not long enough.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Just my $0.02 on welding . I have access to every process there is and every time i return to oxy/acet for final braze out of tanks . The guys i build with struck on a little trick of back gasing the tank for braze. I know dont sound right but works great .
I just barley open the reg and if you hear a hiss the press. Is to high .

Wow 70 inch top tube ? U goma have a swept forward seat? Love the frame so far kudos.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Haha, no it's not seventy. It's actually 33 inches, but I needed the second tube to be the same length, so, in simplicity I combined the two and rounded up.

To throw a curve ball, I've decided to use 1/2 inch square tubing for the top tubes got the first one welded in today, but my camera's batterys are dead so I couldn't take any pictures. And I will think about the fire extinguisher for a tank, if I can find one.

I'm finally making headway!

Charlie

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Looking good ccd ... Seems to flow real nice
Have you thought about a front gusett? I think it would be a good idea with that much open triangle. Its real easy to do ,if fact theres prob a cutoff in the shop that will work .
Joining the head tube and top tube adds about four times the heft and joining all three tubes with a gusett prob adds six times .

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Didn't get any welding done today, but I finally seperated my second tube from sm failed project that was out behind the school. Here's a pic of what it should look like; got me in the picture too

brnot

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Found a new inspiration pic just now while I was messing around on these little tablet computers in biology, we are having a "End of the world/Christmas party" as said by the principle and my teacher Mrs Benson. My welding class is up next, so I will get the frame completed in that class and I plan on bringing it home to work on the sheet metal portions of the build to get it looking like this

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
thanks shop dogs!

Its a roller! I'm excited. I'm hoping to bring my rear wheel up to the local bike shop to get a few spokes put in, its on the bike in the picture below. The hub is off a puch moped, and uses the same chain as the china kits.

Debating on getting a set of ultra-wide cranks to clear my motor mount, or to just edit my motor mount to clear some regular sized cranks.

Last edited: