My First Build: RoadMaster Granite Peak

GoldenMotor.com

uraXIII

May 19, 2013
New Haven, CT
I decided to bite. I needed a better way for a 10 mile hike to work. This idea seems to work the motor was already here, I just needed the frame. But, by my luck. Because of a certain incident at Walmart, I was able to choose any bike off the floor for free of charge!.....and I chose the RoadMaster Granite Peak. >_< http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/34259729.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Roadmaster-Granite-Peak-26-Men-s-Mountain-Bike/15711164

Should have chosen the most expensive bike on the floor.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/700c-Schw...gMethod=Recommendation:wm:RecentlyViewedItems

I'll be using this motor is this a "Chinagirl" 49cc 2 stroke motor I bought from Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14076590682...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr

Pics will come soon.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks. This is my first build ever. Any advice?

• The Google Custom Search at the top of the forum page is excellent.
  • Ignore the 'instruction manual', file it with the old newspapers and read around the forum here.
  • Use common sense. If it won't fit/go/work, look it up around here.
  • If (when) you have a problem, ask here first.
  • Post lots of pics when you do have a problem, it'll make it a lot easier for everyone else to help you out.
  • Minimum upgrade: Replace the cheap plug boot and wire with a decent auto quality boot and wire. That's probably the first thing you'll hear if you come back saying it won't start or run nicely. Since you're doing that, grab a foot or two of auto-grade 1/4" I.D. fuel line as well while you're at the parts counter and replace that too.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction, good luck, looking forward to pics of your build.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just to add to CT's sage advice, take your time and enjoy the building, tinkering and learning. No need to rush. The building, most especially a first build can be really frustrating. When or if it gets to be a hair pulling, no fun thing, walk away for a bit.

Another great thing about searching around and looking up answers is you end up discovering all sorts of other information.

Just have fun with it all

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've built several of these and the only problem you should have is fitting an air cleaner. The engine fits but is very tight on these bikes. Some will accept the stock filter with heavy grinding, some will not. It seems to be a random thing because I've bought two bikes at the same time and only one would fit the kit air cleaner.
Other than that, they go together pretty easy.

As far as upgrades, replace the stock kit chain with a good HD chain, and replace the stock kit plug wire and boot with an automotive wire and boot.
I get mine free at the pull a part yard laying all over the ground.
The chain I get is #41 HD from the hardware store for about $20 bucks a box, which does two bikes.

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
My advice:
Replace the acorn head nuts with American made nuts from the hardware store. Make certain that the nuts will screw down nicely on the head bolts. Use loctite for the head bolt/crank case connections so the head bolts don't move. It's a good idea to use loctite on the engine mount bolts, exhaust bolts, and intake bolts as well as the head bolts. China is particularly challenged when it comes to making decent threads on bolts, nuts and screws and sometimes a die/cast set is needed to fix the threads on these china girls. There are other good engine preparation recommendations on this website but I think you will save yourself a lot of headaches later by replacing the head nuts before you ever fire her up.

My second tip is to never accelerate while going down a steep hill. This will rev up your engine and burn her out. It's far better to disengage her with the clutch lever and coast down hills, even if you have to peddle once or twice, you will go just as fast if not faster without burning her out. A china girl will do everything you ask of her as long as you don't ask too much.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Make sure if you replace the acorn nuts, use grade 8 or higher shoulder nuts. Don't be tempted to buy the cheapest.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks Dan.. yeah, patience is the most important tool in the box. If it starts driving you crazy, take a break. Think about it, go back to it after a night's sleep/coffee/whatever. Working through frustration leads to missing things, and missing even the tiniest-seeming thing can come back to haunt you later.

Also, if you're tired, stop for the day. Fatigue clouds judgement. Rest is a weapon.

And thanks also to Tyler... the last thing you want to do is go open throttle down a long hill with one of these little monsters.. they'll run you up to crazy speeds if you let them.

elms810

Jun 19, 2013
Maui, Hawaii. USA
Hello, I just put a Skyhawk 80cc (66cc) on a Roadmaster Granite Peak from Walmart.The only mod I had to do was dent in the downtube a bit (very little) for the front motor mount studs to clear. I like how the motor fills the frame really well. Had to face the head (plug) forward to clear top tube as well. Offset intake manifold helped too. Built this for my uncle This past Saturday...took about 5 hours with lunch break :)

elms810

Jun 19, 2013
Maui, Hawaii. USA
Hello, I just put a Skyhawk 80cc (66cc) on a Roadmaster Granite Peak from Walmart.The only mod I had to do was dent in the downtube a bit (very little) for the front motor mount studs to clear. I like how the motor fills the frame really well. Had to face the head (plug) forward to clear top tube as well. Offset intake manifold helped too. Built this for my uncle This past Saturday...took about 5 hours with lunch break :)

CARider

May 20, 2013
San Rafael, CA-Mesa, AZ
Yay!
dnut

I see it's the skyhawk. The reason I had a problem was because it was a ebay china girl with a standard carb. I had a problem clearing the frame.

Nice job, but be very, very careful. These bikes will fall apart.
Best luck!
brnot

elms810

Jun 19, 2013
Maui, Hawaii. USA
Yay!
dnut

I see it's the skyhawk. The reason I had a problem was because it was a ebay china girl with a standard carb. I had a problem clearing the frame.

Nice job, but be very, very careful. These bikes will fall apart.
Best luck!
brnot
Thanks CARider!!!Yes, Skyhawk...luckily it comes with an offset intake. The CNS carb is crap!!! Can't get full throttle power but it does idle and run...good for break in period lol. This bike is for my uncle and he'll probably be fine with it's slowness for now until his grandson grabs it hahaha!!! I mounted the rear derraileur grip shifter to the left side handle and got rid of the front derraileur grip shift...(left the chain permanent on the largest chain ring). I couldn't figure out how to disassemble the grip shifter :S

Alohas!!!

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I have a (broken) CNS and it does fine. Likely can't get full throttle out of it because you're running break-in gas. I can get 32 out of mine with the way it's setup.

You can disassemble the grip shifter by pulling the two halves apart.