Motorized Bicycles in the News

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
And do not start me on that egomaniacal mechanical vandal, Edward Turner. Somebody would have shot him in a less disciplined society, and the world would have been a better place for it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lud, don't hold back. Say what ya really mean. lol

(sorry Buddy. Didn't know this was a sore point)

But man, I would love to have that just as a pc in a showroom that is my imaginary palatial living room. Or great hall.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Lud, don't hold back. Say what ya really mean. lol

(sorry Buddy. Didn't know this was a sore point)

But man, I would love to have that just as a pc in a showroom that is my imaginary palatial living room. Or great hall.
Dinner and a show, I can dig it. :D

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
This story sums up the vanity and short sightedness of Turner.

In the 60s, one of the works scrambles riders saw how much traction the 4 stroke singles were getting with their 720 degree firing intervals, especially in slippery (normal for Britain) conditions. He had the competition shop make a pair of camshafts to operate the valves at the same time, instead of the 360 degree firing intervals of the standard engine.

The 500 Triumph then behaved as a 4 valve short stroke single, and the wins started coming; then one day a note arrives From On High: "this company makes twins". Instead of using the publicity, instead of marketing the cams at a good price, the bike was returned to an uncompetitive state and no advantage was gained.

Before Turner, we made 4 cylinder bikes, V twins, flat twins, we had proper engineering; following the marketing success of the Speed Twin, all was swept aside as the lemmings all jumped off the same cliff.

Did you know Ariel designed, in the early 60s, a belt driven ohc 200 far, far better than the Tiger Cub? The Cub was a pumped up 150cc Terrier, and was subsequently remodelled as the C15 BSA and all it's derivatives. The basic 150 ended up at 500 with BSA, and then after the collapse, it went on to a final 640cc with CCM.

Ariel also had a modern 70cc 2 stroke engine for the Pixie step through, which had a 50cc version of the 65cc BSA Beagle 4 stroke inflicted upon it, and it was no more reliable than the Beagle, which had several methods of suicide.

The Damagement decided that the entire BSA Triumph group would be 4 stroke oriented, and dropped the Adler derived Arrow and Leader twins, which were capable of great development. They retained their Son Of DKW, the Bantam though, since that was made at Armoury Road, instead of Selly Oak.

There was so much pettiness, shortsightedness, arrogance and plain downright stupidity, and I lay much of the blame at the door of Turner.

Here endeth the sermon. I'm going out now for a breath of fresh air. I won't take the broadsword though, I'm feeling just a bit touchy at the moment.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just funny. In the last 12 hrs, swords, chainmail, canons and trebuchets came up.

"To m.b. or not to MB. That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous legislation
Or to take arms against a sea of litigators. (And buy lights and a horn.....)"

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I recall (back in the day) that we'd take the pre-unit cranks & bolt them together with the journals 180degrees off, then cut the cams to weld back together 90degrees off. This gave us a twin that fired just as the 305 honda fired, with similarly increased torque.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I wonder if anyone has done the cam thing with HD for the strip. Have 45/675 firing intervals.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
with all the years HD has been around, I doubt anything that could be thought of hasn't been tried at least once

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There's another company with it's head in the sand; and not just them, the aftermarket suppliers. Where are the 4 valve heads, short stroke cranks to go with the big bore kits? 6 speed boxes to take advantage of the breathing?

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Jeremy Clarkson was deliberately trying to make that Reliant Robin tip over. Having ridden tricycles for many years it was easy to see that everytime he tipped it over he'd purposely gone into the corner much too fast as well as turning the front wheel hard over to the steering stops. I could fall off my tricycle all day if I went around riding it like that.

I think those wee Spira4u cars are pretty darn cool :D

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The TG team also gave it 3 wrong and oversized wheels and strapped a weight high and to one side in the bodyshell.

Having owned one and repeatedly left "proper" cars behind on twisty roads, I can say there's not a lot wrong with the handling. An 850 long stroke ohv lump in a superlight body also doesn't hurt.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
With out a doubt, over the top and meant as humor. (really was funny)

Still worries me.
I want the buoyant one.
There was an American company that was doing some thing similar. Wonder what happened to them?