Motoped

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Thanks. Yup, this is going to be mine forever, just throw it in the coffin with me I'm never gonna sell it - :)

Today's project - Cut the steer tube.

The fork is just a "fork inna box" made to fit any bike so you have to build it up like this, add the spacer and the stem and mark where to cut off the excess tube. I'll do this with the miter saw so it will be a nice clean perfect cut.

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
If you haven't cut the steerer tube yet get some assorted spacers from your LBS and play around with different stem heights, stacking spacers below and above the stem until you figure out what height is the most comfortable. I did this on my Motoped and ended up not cutting the tube at all. I find the more upright riding position to be easier on the old back. Just my 2 cents..... BF1

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Kickstand

These things don't come with one and the factory doesn't offer them either.

Whass up wit dat? Got you a Hi-Po bike and ya gotta prop it up onna tree?

Geeze. One would think that for 2 grand you would not have to look for a tree.

Mine now has a kickstand;

And it works well and it looks good;

A couple of stainless steel Harley muffler clamps and a piece of angle iron and we are good to go;

Back to the middle bedroom and back up on the hooks. I'm using the same chain I used to paint the frame to hold it up while I work on it. This is the same room I'm converting to a hobby room, the room my wife died in. I put a screw eye in a ceiling joist for a pull up bar to help her get out of bed. Good thing I never removed it eh? Now getting used for more cheerful things.

Don't even think about stealing my Motoped unless you want to deal with the Pitbull - :)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Details, details

Why is my bike on the floor?

So I can "paint the pockets"

I forgot to do this easy task before I put those brackets on and if I didn't do it, it was going to bother me silly. So easy too, you just drip paint into the pockets and let it dry. Takes a lot longer because there is a rather thick puddle in there but you don't have to mask anything and it just looks cool.

Kinda looks like you can see the frame through cutouts eh?

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Thanks.

Got the battery brackets brazed up;

And the battery is mounted nice & secure.

These Lithium batteries come with stick on foam pads so you can reduce the size of the existing box as these are so much smaller and lighter than lead acid. I used the pads to make a nice cushy cradle for my batt. Now need to make some spacers to go between the boss and the bottom plate and I'll be ready to mount the motor and the electrical parts and start the wiring.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Custom spacers installed. Instead of just buying these which were not available in the length I needed I ordered up some half inch aluminum tubing with 1/8" wall thickness. Perfect.

You can get anything you want on the internet - :)

That batt is in there good & strong like it was part of the bike!

Those spacers make sure that you don't crush the battery either by overzealous torquing of the screws.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Wald 78

Changed the kickstand, I thought the Greenfield was a little weak. Bike actually "rang" a bit if pushed. Went with an old American Icon - Wald.

Didn't know they made extra long kickstands, but this model "78" is even longer than that 305 mm Greenfield. Sturdier too. Solid steel vs die cast aluminum. Had to make a different backing bracket but this one is steel too. Bike doesn't "bounce" as much anymore.

Mikey likes it!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Motor In

About time eh?

I was doing the electrical stuff and thought it would be a good idea to see how the motor/carb fit before I got too involved doing stuff over.

Good thing too, the carb don't fit and I need to order up one of those manifold rotator disks. Carb don't clear the frame. Also need to rework the shifter, crank arm hits.

But the good news is the kickstand works great even with the heavy motor on;

And the sprockets line up perfectly, looks good - :)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Five and three quarters inch. Or 145 mm. Inside.

But that's just with a Stanley, as good as I could get it threaded thru the slots and the spokes.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
It's a piece of work eh?

And the part you pic'ed is still only $700.

Lotta guys doing electric conversions on them too.

I dunno. All the dough I spent on all those bikes, the motors and all the other stuff is well over what this cost. This will last the rest of my life too. The other stuff didn't.

I see it as a really good value - :)

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
It's a piece of work eh?

And the part you pic'ed is still only $700.

Lotta guys doing electric conversions on them too.

I dunno. All the dough I spent on all those bikes, the motors and all the other stuff is well over what this cost. This will last the rest of my life too. The other stuff didn't.

I see it as a really good value - :)
Yep I've been eyeballing the 110cc version for the longest time cause it had a builtin tranny already. If I went gas again I would go for it for sure for numerous reasons.