Motoped

GoldenMotor.com

HackD

Oct 25, 2014
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
I had one of those when I was a teen!

All I remember of it was pop's got it for camping and I rode it until I talked him into a Honda 125 Elsinore to play with in the desert by our house.
Many of aches and pains I now have came from those years.

Cheap and easy would be a dual shifter, just slam your foot down on the correct pedal ;-}

I have this one now - it is an '82 Honda C70 Passport. I got it as a nostalgia project/purchase a few years back. My first road-legal 'motorcycle' as a late teen (couldn't afford anything else!) back in the mid '80s, was a '65 Honda C65 Cub.. 2 years older than i was.

A spare Cub heel/toe shifter saved a buddies riding season one summer back then - he'd broken his leg and was heavy-casted. We adapted that heel/toe shifter to his Honda CB750 so that he could 'kick' through the gears instead of toe-shifting. Worked a treat.

Last edited:

HackD

Oct 25, 2014
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Just read on Motoped's facebook page where they announced the following:

Great News!!!!
All Orders Have Arrived At Headquarters And Are Shipping This Week And Next week!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1432733183623914/
Stating the obvious, I know, but I did notice that Motoped buyers were starting to seriously grumble about their back-ordered bike kits and parts a few months ago, when i was actively checking them out as an alternative to my current MAB project. One of the things that shied me off from going that route for project-time. Don't feel like dealing with aggravation, when i'm projecting for pleasure.

Too bad, because that survival bike had sucked me right in, in terms of being interested.

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
All good things come to those who wait and patience is always rewarded - :)

Happy 2015 to me!

With any luck I'll also have an Elio parked in the driveway by the end of 2015 - :)

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
All good things come to those who wait and patience is always rewarded - :)

Happy 2015 to me!

With any luck I'll also have an Elio parked in the driveway by the end of 2015 - :)
Cool... another Elio fan... :D I'll be buying one as soon as they come out as well if I don't put my name on the list to get one first. :D a customer of mine told me about them while I was doing his brakes on his car so I looked them up when I got home and I'm hooked... I'm really liking the lime green one and already got some upgrade ideas going thru my head...

I'd still love to get my hands on one of those older Pulse bike/cars that were made back in the early 80's... but the ones that are still out there and still in running condition are either Not for sale or really expensive if one does pop up for sale.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Arrived yesterday, box waiting on porch when we (Girlfriend & I) returned from lunch.

Unpacked box and loaded stuff into garage. Won't start until she leaves for home today.

But, it's HERE!

:)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Easy there Dave, not in any big hurry - :)

First things first. Like paint.

The frame is going satin black and the plastic is all going to get de-badged and painted "dover white" I hate decals, they're all getting removed. If you want me to advertize your product, please send a check.

The wheels are perfect, balanced and true. It's a little too cold to paint, but it's getting warmer. The battery fits perfect between the bosses.

This is gonna be cool - :)

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Arrived yesterday, box waiting on porch when we (Girlfriend & I) returned from lunch.

Unpacked box and loaded stuff into garage. Won't start until she leaves for home today.

But, it's HERE!

:)
Shouldn't you rake the leaves first? You never retire from yard work laff ....and it doesn't pay that well either.... dance1

Build well Mike and do take yer time....have fun!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Wheels

The weather is getting warmer and drier, paint should be happening soon.

But it's not like I haven't been doing anything...

These tires were the hardest to mount tires of all the bicycle tires I ever mounted.

The front was even harder;

The parts are all first class;

Yes, it costs 2 grand. It's worth it - :)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Frame

The core. What it's all about. It's steel.

Thick and heavily gauseted. Strong. Nice welds eh?

Nicer welds than I've seen on a lot of my Japanese motorcycles.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Swingarm

I think so, I'm impressed - :)

Here's the swing arm;

The jackshaft is the pivot for the arm, the chain tension remains the same for any suspension deflection. Good engineering. And more excellent welds;

With more excellent gauseting;

The sub frame while not as impressive seems to be up to the task;

Saturday the weather is supposed to be warm & dry and I hope I'll be able to paint the frame.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Re: Frame

Nicer welds than I've seen on a lot of my Japanese motorcycles.
That's because welds on the Japanese motorcycles are mostly full auto machine welds that slur and spatter.

The welds on the MotoPeds are hand welded by the Chinese......real people with welding skills!

Still nice penetration on both ;)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Redneck Paint Booth

Yesireee, that'd be the frame hangin' thar off yonder tree.

Seventy degrees and 35% humidity. Perfect. All good things come to those who wait.

Bought me the cheapest chain they had and hung it up. 2 nice thin coats on, one more to go.

I like this much better than that greyish-brownish stuff they used.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Coming along nicely

It's taking shape;

I'm sure glad I took the time to paint that frame. Silver & black is good - :)

The hard part is done too, installing the bearing seats in the head;

These need a special tool, a 3/4" X 10" long bolt, a couple of soft blocks, a couple of cast washers and a couple of small washers.

Also some prep. Sand the steering tube, add a little grease and make sure those suckers are started straight because if they ain't you are gonna have a big problem. Luckily I saw this before I broke anything and knocked it out before it cracked.

Then I did the sandpaper and grease thing and I still had to crank the crap of the wrench to seat those suckers.

Notice I said "bearing seats" and not races. This uses 52 mm diameter sealed bearings and not some caged balls and stamped steel inserts.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Looking good so far... It's well worth it to take your time and be sure everything is done right as it gets assembled...
I agree, that's one very well engineered swing arm, no worries about chain tension there once it's all put together.