Morini Update! How's yours doin?

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I was also think about going with a 3 shoe clutch but I don't like the way it feels in the dirt. When you let off the throttle, it immediately disengages and you free-wheel unlike the two shoe. It helps a little with the engine braking. Just my two cents.

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster, PA / Newark, DE
Buddy brought spanner tool over to try and get nut off the clutch, its on good and the clutch metal is crap cracking on one hole, edge off the other :/
Photos show missing clip and chip from it coming out. Photo2 is whats left of the clip.
On my clutch the chain links were broken in half and I also snapped a shoe in half but the hub was fine. Buying a new hub and chain link won't be too expensive. I bought the replacement parts from herdan. I purchased clutch drum bushing (ruined due to all the play in the clutch drum bell from missing washer), washer (fits in between clutch drum and crankcase), clutch shoes (replacements have different material and surface design and grab better, yours appear to be identical to my replacements), special socket that fits around that nut your trying to remove (stupid thing costs $20), o ring (fits around hub to prevent clutch shoes from vibrating). I had the benefit of living an hour away from herdan so I drove up and hermie the owner installed my bushing and found appropriate parts, he only charged me for the clutch shoes and special socket (~$50 for both). The whole time I was there it was unpleasant because he thought I disassembled the clutch pack and forgot to reinstall the washer, he wouldn't believe that the washer was missing from the beginning. You will need the special socket to reinstall the clutch and torque it properly. Dont forget the nut is reverse threaded (lefty tighty, righty loosey)!! Many minimoto people have busted off the end of their crankshafts b/c of this. The KTM50 clutch will not work, their crankshaft is tapered. When mine went I researched a lot of this stuff. If price is no object check out this one:Page down to Tomar clutch & install kit $405 Good Luck -Justin

Last edited:

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
Quoting europorsche914 P.S. the reason i no longer have a bike computer is cause my morini vibrated my handlebars violently enough to destroy 2 of them, one of them which claimed to be vibration proof for $40. I have since filled my handlebars with molten lead and now the vibration is cut in half just have to get motivated to go to the store and get another :).
Mine is really very smooth. I thought I would get a lot of vibe at the peddles. The mass of the bike weight of it the 26x2.7 tires? The suspension swallowing up the rattling? I dunno It is really quit smooth for the most part.

I can bet on one thing those solid forks have got to be beating you up at those high speeds. Me being heavy the bike being heavy I am not getting nothing!

The Franco Morini KickButt Engines is up!![/QUOTE]

yea it is a little rough, my goal was to get front shocks this summer but money didnt allow it... Most of the roads in DE arent too bad but PA well im sure other PA members will now what im talking about... .bf. -Justin

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Hi i had my 5.8 out today and took off the crappy "Spinner" brand forks and put on Marzocchi forks now i can travel rough gravel roads flat out i think the engine is getting more power as it breaks in because it really revs out. Iam using a 1 to 30 oil ratio shell 2 stroke oil and it runs incredibly now.

Last edited:

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
I was/will be again running 40:1 amsoil interceptor. What are you using for wet clutch oil?

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
I am getting 80mpg when beating it and when cruising ~120mpg. I mix my gas at 32:1 castrol synthetic, which is what the dirt racers run. For clutch oil i use maxima mtl 80w racing clutch oil, which is also what the racers run. You can slightly over fill the engine with clutch oil, it helps cool the motor and prevents some clutch fade, supposedly. The manual says 200ml i put 275ml and no problems. I used 30w motor oil to break in the clutch before i switched to the maxima, which now reminds me GH the 30w with the new clutch (replacement) pads caused some surging at low speeds which maybe what your experiencing but with the maxima no problems.

Attachments

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
If I'm not real hard on the throttle I can make to work and back 3 times on a small china tank, which is about 1.75L, If all out , only two trips, will a puddle left in the tank.
15km each way. Also depends if I'm running a good oil too, Amsoil lasts longer imo.
Clutch gear oil I started with some generic motorcycle oil cause I was broke, Tried some Quaker state gear oil, little too thick, was nice feeling, but too thick when cool.
So i picked up some amsoil 10w30 and that seemed to be pretty good. Just curious what others were using/preformed well.

I fill with about 250-275cc, until it starts to flow out of the plug hole with the engine level.

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
These italian engines seem to be barely better than chinese motors lol. But seriously what is up with the clutches on these things it is kind of ridiculous to have 3 exploded clutches and 1 installed incorrectly. Out of all the people on here that have had clutch problems I think Easyrider & Dean are the only ones that didnt have any trouble... I let you guys know what Im debating in a new thread but these clutch problems leave me a little worried... -Justin

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Out of all the people on here that have had clutch problems I think Easyrider & Dean are the only ones that didnt have any trouble... Justin
Dean and I have had our motors over a year and a half before Morinis got popular...maybe that was before Billy's first day at the factory. LOL

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
GH, They do make different springs for your clutch. The stronger the spring tension, the more punch you'll have coming from a low end because it engages the clutch at a higher rpm putting you in the power band quicker.

i-paint

May 24, 2008
These italian engines seem to be barely better than chinese motors lol. But seriously what is up with the clutches on these things it is kind of ridiculous to have 3 exploded clutches and 1 installed incorrectly. Out of all the people on here that have had clutch problems I think Easyrider & Dean are the only ones that didnt have any trouble... I let you guys know what Im debating in a new thread but these clutch problems leave me a little worried... -Justin
I only ride on paved roads and I wanted to cruise at a lower rpm (through the neighborhood) sometimes. I changed the springs on the 2-shoe clutch to the lighest ones and it engaged at a lower rpm. I still wanted it to engage at a lower rpm so I bought a 3-shoe clutch from Morini USA and removed two (I think) washers. It is perfect. It will take off at 1/8 throttle or less. I can cruise at 30 mph at a pretty low rpm now (less noise). My top speed was this morning at 55.4 mph on level ground. I've upgraded everything but the ignition to the 9.4 hp level. i-paint