modified cdi and cr 80 coil

GoldenMotor.com

kusanagy100

Jul 7, 2011
Argentina
disculpa, no me di cuenta, aca las cuelgo de vuelta con mejor tamaño
(sorry, I did not realize, here I back with the best size)

for me there are 2 resistors between the capacitors

regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryobusa

Jun 28, 2011
Winnipeg
I will try to find some higher voltage caps, I know my SCR is only rated for 400V as I could not get the 600V that was spec'd in jaguars build, jaguar also spec's 250V for the cap, either metalized polyester or metalized polypropylene which is supposed to be better for this application and is what I got. I tested my caps and they still measure 1.8uf, if they had failed would I still be getting this reading? Would the SCR fail in a wierd way working for a short time than dying than working some more?

I'm planning on removing the pot and installing 18 and 82 ohm resisters to keep it simpler while testing, and adding 1 more cap.

Yes the '79 dodge was 12 volt but the coil used a ballast resister to drop the 12v down to 6v, the coil is kinda big but i will eventually get a motorbike coil when its all working. Is there an ideal primary winding resistance, or can the CDI be matched to a coil, It would be neat to make a Coil On Plug setup, as I have a few, but they are 12v coils.

The weirdest thing is that it only runs for short bursts like there is something heating up or coming loose from the vibrations. I bet it will work when i try it tomorrow, its really frustrating to be so close and being such a simple machine there are not to many options the fix must be something simple.

I will take some pics of my setup, my CDI box really turned well now I just have to make it work well.

Thanks again to the people on this forum I could not have done it without you as a resource.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
OK, thank you for that information.

Can you identify the value of the resistor under the blue wire?
Can you take a picture of the underside of the pc board?

kusanagy100

Jul 7, 2011
Argentina
sorry rohmell i dont see blue wire, i only see black, red and green wires ;)

i cant indentify the value of these resistor, because i dont have one of these cdis to take a photo :(

anyone can take a photo of the pcb of other angle?, or underside?

saludos gente, y que no caiga el post

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
No one is even talking about marketing anything, if they were it'd have been moved to our 'Swap and Shop' section as per our rules: http://motorbicycling.com/f21/please-read-these-simple-rules-2.html

This forum is specifically for our members to discuss any and all topics relating to motorized bicycles, including the specifics of any and all products purchased.

You may wish to read: http://motorbicycling.com/f21/attention-vendors-8015.html specifically;

this site's philosophy... the free and open exchange of any and all information pertaining to motorized bicycles
If you think you see a violation of our rules, please use the "report post" function.

the42ndoffense

Jun 17, 2010
Space
If I might ask, why not use it? seems a pretty penny to spend on something you're certain to give away. Seems to work very well on my bike.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
What is the difference between the stock black box and a cdi?
The stock black box contains a CDI and an ignition coil, all potted together so that you can't see the circuit, make repairs or modifications.

The CDI is just the portion that takes the engine's magneto output, charges up a capacitor, then at the right time, discharges that capacitor, into an ignition coil.

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
The stock black box contains a CDI and an ignition coil, all potted together so that you can't see the circuit, make repairs or modifications.

The CDI is just the portion that takes the engine's magneto output, charges up a capacitor, then at the right time, discharges that capacitor, into an ignition coil.
thinking of putting a 1uF instead of the normal 2uF in mine to see how she goes :)

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
thinking of putting a 1uF instead of the normal 2uF in mine to see how she goes :)
1uF will work fine. Since it is smaller it will charge faster, and you can attain higher RPMs. But, since it is smaller, the discharge pulse to the ignition coil will be smaller, but probably will be unnoticeable.

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
1uF will work fine. Since it is smaller it will charge faster, and you can attain higher RPMs. But, since it is smaller, the discharge pulse to the ignition coil will be smaller, but probably will be unnoticeable.
I was thinking that.

i went and bought a 1uF 450v capacitor :)

but it's polarized :S

ok i tried to open the CDI box and no luck look what happened :(

Attachments

Last edited: