modified cdi and cr 80 coil

GoldenMotor.com

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
That's what we're saying - but we need pics of the guts of one to be able to replicate it. I've ID'd half the parts, but I need better pics to both verify and get the rest of the resistors and diodes, capacitor and thermistor.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
This is the best I've got so far from that pic, though some can possibly be assumed - there's still quite a bit that needs done. Resistors to be labeled, capacitor to be labeled, thermistor to be labeled, and diodes to be confirmed.

The diodes are probably all 1N4007

The resistor labelled 170K , first band is yellow(4), so should be 470K, although 3rd band looks brown to me (470 ohm)

Resistor next to SCR (brown black red) is 1K
Brown black gold resistor (7 o'clock from SCR) is 1 ohm

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
The diodes are probably all 1N4007

The resistor labelled 170K , first band is yellow(4), so should be 470K, although 3rd band looks brown to me (470 ohm)

Resistor next to SCR (brown black red) is 1K
Brown black gold resistor (7 o'clock from SCR) is 1 ohm
Thanks Rohmell - I'll edit and update the pic. My eyes are so bad, I have to keep my resistors in labeled bags. xD

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York

Heres the inside of the cdi, if some one that has one of these will make a wiring diagram and list the parts. $75 for this is intense i wonder what he pays his employes...
Could you possibly take a picture of the bottom of the board? This would help greatly in making a schematic of the unit.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
7.6K ( between two blue caps) might actually be 750 ohms (violet,green, brown)
this is a more likely value to work with the adjacent capacitors for adjusting the timing curve. That, and 7.6 is not a standard EIA value for resistors.(well 768 is, but we are dealing with 4 banded resistors, so look in the 2,5 and 10 % columns)
(Electronics Reference: EIA Standard Resistor Values)

Last edited:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I think you're right on that one rohmell. Sure looks blue to me, but green adds up better. :D

Of course, these pics were taken to show jumpers and headers, not to read components. I'd still really like to see some even more high res pics.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
The 22K resistor, the last band looks kinda brown to me, so perhaps that is a 220 ohm resistor, again more likely to be that value and connected in the gate circuit of the SCR than a 22K resistor.

BTW, thanks for all of your help labeling the various parts.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Like I said, my eyes are bad, and these pics suck. xD

I'm going both off a printed page and a full screen here, and can't hardly read half of the bands.

Not a problem at all - it helps to have a visual progress bar so we know what we've got left to do. Though you're probably right about the diodes, I do want to hold off on labeling them until we're positive. I'm glad you've jumped on board with this one Rohmell - it helps a lot!

Editadd:

Actually though, wanna take a second look at the 220/22k? Last band looks orange on both screen and page.

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
On one diode I see 1N, and on another I see 00, and on a third I see 7, so it would make sense to be using the commonly available 1N4007 diode, which is rated at 1A, 1000V.
But of course, we won't know for sure until someone who has one of these units lets us know for sure.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
My opinion is that jumper B adds the two blue caps into the circuit to change the timing curve at higher speeds:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
that really is not much different than this one:
Transistor Ignition Modules
It is different in that it uses a bipolar transistor (TIP42C) instead of an SCR, and a Hall effect sensor to detect when a magnet passes by to create a pulse, plus the kit supplies you with a magnet to mount to a flywheel, etc.
Plus, external power is needed to operate it.