Mini-home

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
50' tidal height? I've never seen anything even remotely that extreme, but one thing I do know is never put anything past the ocean lol

With storm surges in combination with tides, things can get crazy - I spent a week in NJ during a annoyingly long gale. For half the week it blew in one direction, flooding my harbor - then the other, draining it. The combination of tide and storm managed to sweep all the water out of the bay I was in leaving me grounded with nothin' but mud and muck under my keel o_O

I'd say that was probably a mere 12' drop or thereabouts...

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
BarelyAwake. you know it's champagne' old son, and not that cheap stuff either.

It was always my dream but with my health it looks more and more like a pipe dream. Funny you mentioned a 4ft swell because I said to my brother, can't you picture me in a boat in a 4ft swell. He is still finding it funny.

Just thought a 3/4 fellas on a boat headed south would make it a fun trip.

There are more old junk than I would have thought. Seems they dropped anchor in e-bays harbour too.
Another thing that I didn't expect was the difference in price 5ft made. A good 25ft boat is around $5,000. A good 30 foot boat is $12,00/$15,000 and one that is in super condition, my mind doesn't work with numbers that high.

I was just kidding about the pontoon boat. They are really good for enclosed waters or mabe a bigger bay that doesn't get a lot of heavy water. The fuel would be a killer too.
I always pictured a trip down the Mississippi river, boat bumming in a house boat or a pontoon boat.

My Uncle was commadore of the Key Biscane yacht Club and built a couple of really nice sail boats. He built a little 20ft catamaran that didn't have a cabin on it to putt around in when he didn't want to take his big boat out.
He sold it years later to a young couple who had never sailed before. They sailed it to Burmuda two days later with thier dog and a cooler full of food.

My Uncle got a call from the yacht club in Burmuda asking if the story was true. That's how he found out what they had done. Just followed the compass. They couldn't figure
out what the big deal was because they were going to sail home the same way.

Really think that you would need to live in Fla. to be able to find a proper boat. Nice boating up here but the sea can be pretty rough.
Lots of islands and bays to anchor in.

I'll know by next June just where it's going.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Barely Awake, now that I'm Fully Awake our paths have crossed a couple of times.
I lived in Johnstown/Gloversville NY for 8 years and in North Conway NH about 15 min away from Fryburg Maine but traveled up and down Maine looking for antiques.

Was I any where near you?

Steve.

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Going Back To The States With A Compass, I Could Do That, I Hope! Going To The Islands, Would Take A Lot Of Extra Sailboat Fuel With Me!! Ron

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Don't give up too quickly on finding an affordable sloop, by far the biggest problem has been... well size lol Most folks around here would be interested in a daysailer or a dock-hugging yacht, one is obv too small and the other is just silly.

Odds are you know this already - but I'll go ahead and rant in case others are on a similar quest :D

Once yer willing to cross the Mason-Dixon line in the quest for a boat everything changes. Late 70s & early 80s 30ish foot fiberglass sloops - Rangers, Catlainas and others of good name can be had for $5000 - $10,000 and they're usually overbuilt and in fine shape. All the value is in the sails and rigging, many of these boats rarely if ever left the stands let alone the harbor, so if yer careful ya can have a fine boat that just needs topside/hull paint.

There was a huge but somewhat brief surge in sailing craft purchases during that time period and the market is still flooded. Add to that how overbuilt most fiberglass boats were then and how little your "average" american is interested in anything that doesn't have a screaming V8, cap it off with how fascinated we all are with "new & shiny" and credit debt... Well, ya get my drift. These poor boats are unloved and just waiting for a captain.

Few of these make ebay however - gotta break out the phone and ask about "back lot specials" ;)

A "surprise" expense can be the kicker motor. Outboards are usually trashed and are ungodly expensive to buy new - I'd seek a nice lil diesel inboard. They're far easier to fix, get insane fuel efficiency and are quiet for prolonged running. Very important as you'd have the mast(s) unstepped for most canalways.

Though I'm a woodworker, that's another game entirely. I may be willing to adopt a wooden boat but I dunno if I'd recommend it... it's simply not a level of commitment most would want.

The story of your uncle's cat and the young couple who sailed it off reminds me of so many I met while cruising! I traveled for awhile with a young Canadian couple who were on a 30' ketch with two kids, two dogs and one very confused cat. We'd raft from time to time (tie off alongside one another) so we could have dinner and party on my lil deck - cause there was more room lol

They didn't have much in the way of experience but they sure as heck made up for it in heart!

However - if you're planning on sticking to the inside mostly than a sailing craft may not be the best choice. Though they're my preferred boat for many reasons it is a bit awkward to deal with a 30'+ pole stickin' up out of yer house heh. Trawlers seem to be the vessel of choice for many retired ICW loopers, unfortunately they're not only expensive - I know little about them. Worth lookin' into though.

Well, I got my rant on for the day heh - hope I didn't presume. I'd love to recommend one of the best and most entertaining books I've ever read on the subject if yer interested, it's a touch dated but is still w/o a doubt worth every page! It was one of the biggest contributing factors in me dropping everythin' and just sailin' off for gawd knows where.

Cruising in Seraffyn by Lin & Larry Pardey: Cruising in Seraffyn

BTW, it was 4' of water that was breaking over my decks, not nice gentle 4' swells - tell yer friend not to laugh, you'd be fine with nice lil 4 footers lol

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
fasteddy - I'm in the Bath/Brunswick area, not that far really... well mebbe a lil far for an MB :p

Ron, sailboat fuel... wind... ooh there's a joke in there sumwheres laff

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Barely Awake, spent 40+ years restoring antique furniture and making authentic reproductions and worked in the fiberglass industry trained by the son of the first guy in Tampa to use fiberglass.
Toss in early school training in automotive and metal work/wood work [It was a catch all for under performing students to learn a trade. Beautiful.} and working in my friends body shop and I'm kind of capable of making a mess out of a lot of stuff.

I had heard that the earlier boats were the better ones and thank you for proving that it is not a rumor.
With all the years of antiquing and a friend from the Florida days I learned that the back row Bettys were the answer to the poorer mans prayer.

I used to cruise the piers with my buddy who made a business of buying distressed boats that the marinas wanted gone for the storage fees. His motto was that you just cleaned them up, you did not repair them.
Sprayed a lot of paint and buffed a few acres of fiberglass, not to mention the sanding and prep.

Saw a lot of boats come back for 3 days of hard work. He had a string of boat brokers following him to buy them and he was not shy about selling them fast either. He liked a short profit and a fast return.
He did offer me a chance to buy a couple of sail boats that he bought but with 2 kids my wife and I had our hands full.

I'll get a copy of the boat book and I love reading.
The reason I have to wait until June is I have an inheritance comming about then and what I do depends on how much it is. The fact that I can't walk very well is also a problem.Had two knees replaced in 5 months.

No, you didn't presume any thing. I never told you about me so you covered the bases.
It was my sail boating brother I was telling about the waves and I mean't the ones you were talking about.

I started rebuilding a 24 ft wooden boat and was able to save the port holes. Never again.LOL

Steve.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
You guys "lapped" me but earlier talking about tide heights. I met Carol on a cruise ship. I was a deckhand and she was a passenger. We met due to the 30 foot tide. The gangway needed to be placed on the 3rd deck just outside her cabin. We met at 11PM 8/8/88. I told her I was almost off watch (Midnight) "Come have a drink with me?" When we got back to the ship, I showed her all sorts... never mind, snork. We celibrated 20 yrs, last yr. God I love her. For our anniversary, I took her back to Maine, We had lunch at the restaurant overlooking the dock we met on and had our first date in. Me got lucky. In so, so many ways. For our 21st, Carol said; "Ya know it's our anniversary?" I replyed "No, what'd ya get me?" She said; "Same thing you got me"

Know what, She did, just better................

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Nice Dan, sounds like goin' ona cruise is a perfect anniversary celebration for you guys, or jus a motel room for the night with Mike's 'Sounds of Rain and Thunder on the River' playin in the background... not sure ifn y'all would notice the difference :p (snork goes here?)

What harbor was that 30' tide if ya don't mind me askin?

Mike, ya know - it's weird but I miss the "heavy" stuff a lot. Not so much being trapped and seeking a sheltered cove, but being in a nice harbor, securely anchored - but still ridin' it out. My V birth forward was rigged with cargo netting on both sides, one side was dirty laundry and the other was clean so even if my boat was rolling I was tucked away snug. "Back to the womb" or "rocking in the cradle" - w/e you wanna call it, it was a pleasant regression for me!

With dual anchors set and halyards rigged to slap with a change in heading, I've never had such good sleep! Obviously I'm not prone to seasickness lol

Having said that... being forced to navigate that kinda stuff... *shudders and listens to 'Sounds of Rain and Thunder on the River' again* :D Fortunately, I've always managed to find safe harbor before being pummeled by such high winds. I've played with waves not dissimilar - but as they were generated by storms far offshore the timing was a lot slower so it wasn't nearly as radical despite the tall water.

The "4' green o'er my decks" was due to short timing, the waves being so close together my bow had no time to rise to meet the next, stuffing into the water while I was still in the trough. 'Serenity' would stop dead, shudder and slowly rise, breaking her bow free just in time to crest, fly down the other side and happily stuff her bow again. Cleaned my decks (and me) quite well I'll tell ya lol

It's lil things like that experience that prove to me that a self-righting self-bailing closed bow sailing craft is the best choice for me. Murphy having the sense of humor that He does, that wasn't the last time I had such "fun" - it was simply the first, so it's etched into my memory like no other heh BTW - to those considering living aboard, experiences like the above are caused by choice mostly. I knew what I was getting into, knew it was going to be a long, rough ride but left my harbor anyway. Should you not wish such watery adventure it's easy enough to stay in your bay and wait it out. I was simply in a hurry to get to my next anchorage and underestimated the viciousness of Delaware Bay, known for such less-than-placid waters.

meh... I gotta get another sloop :p

Here's a few more pics, all the same harbor. Water too high, too low, mmm - just right lol Also featured is the rare amphibious earth-mover o_O

Attachments

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Awake, I Posted The 50` Daily Tide Change!! About 4 Yrs Ago Read It In A Chart, It Must Have Been A Misprint Or My Mistake. At The Time, I Thought It Was Almost Unbelievable. I Guess It Was!! It was in the far northern east coast. Ron

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Last edited:

TheOtherStyle

Mar 27, 2009
SE WI
I didn't read all of this thread, just watched the video in the first post. I bow to that woman. That trailer would be a little too small for me though. Ironically enough, I just finished blueprints for a 10x25 pontoon houseboat, with almost ZERO wasted space. Anyone that wants to see the plans, just ask...

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I didn't read all of this thread, just watched the video in the first post. I bow to that woman. That trailer would be a little too small for me though. Ironically enough, I just finished blueprints for a 10x25 pontoon houseboat, with almost ZERO wasted space. Anyone that wants to see the plans, just ask...
...I'm askin'.
Silverbear

TheOtherStyle

Mar 27, 2009
SE WI
Ok guys, lemme get it on the computer and I'll post it. I need to redraw it as I had it at a friends house and now the paper is less than perfect...as is my hand writing that accompanies it lol

In the mean time, picture (for the outside) A silver twinkie on a platform with a bbq on the roof...