Meet Stunner

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I wish the china girl design was available with japanese quality. There is so much potential here...I ride a yamaha 50 pitbike and the clean throttle reponse and good power make me want to go slap my chinagirl for being ugly inside. Basically I agree with it being the PERFECT bike engine, I just wish it were better built.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I wish the china girl design was available with japanese quality. There is so much potential here...I ride a yamaha 50 pitbike and the clean throttle reponse and good power make me want to go slap my chinagirl for being ugly inside. Basically I agree with it being the PERFECT bike engine, I just wish it were better built.
My Flying Horse motors are pretty close to what you might call high quality. They needed a little help to get that way though. Other brands I've tried varied greatly in quality from almost as good, to total trash no matter what you do to them.

For now that's the best we get because Honda doesn't make a bicycle motor that's as good as a what I have now.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I just finished upgrading my exhaust to a SBP xchamber. Had one test ride so far. It starts out only slightly better at low speed, but above 20 mph there's a lot mo powah.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
That sure is a nice looking ride,don't think I could say it enough, the addition of the SBP pipe makes it a real stunner

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Okay, I lurked and kept quiet because you didn't screw up anything like I promised I would. :)
In fact what you did was build an outstanding example of what this hobby is all about.

That is a beautiful bike and you have to be proud of your efforts. We all are, and glad that you're a part of us.

I share your feelings about the Chinese 2 stroke. Nothing would have looked as good in that frame. Your attention to detail and an eye for style stands out.

Congratulations, sir. Now go ride it and get it dirty. But, keep us informed of how it's performing for you. If it rides as good as it looks you're in for some fun come warm weather.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Is it way louder?
I'll tell you the truth, it's a little louder, but not obnoxiously so. I'm definitely not a menace to the neighborhood. It has a different kind of sound than you get from a stock baffle. The sound is sharper, but at cruising speed it's not loud at all. I don't like loud on my motor bicycles.

Not long ago I tried a BGF banana pipe on the Atomic BB. It has an identical motor as Stunner. In comparison to this pipe, that banana pipe totally sux. It was obnoxiously loud. The Atomic BB lost 2 mph on the top end. I think it might have even lost power on the bottom end. It certainly didn't gain anything. I tossed it after 2 days.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That sure is a nice looking ride,don't think I could say it enough, the addition of the SBP pipe makes it a real stunner
That is a beautiful bike and you have to be proud of your efforts. We all are, and glad that you're a part of us.

Tom
You guys are both gentleman, and scholars, plus two of the people I happen to have the greatest respect for on this great forum, so when you say that it really means a lot to me.

But I hate you both, because your builds are always better than mine. j/k kinda lol.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Nice job on the bracket at the suppressor end of the pipe biknut. That really looks great. I had the same chamber on my frame and never had it secured so that it didn't either get in the way of the standard or get smacked by the crank. Finally gave up on it. I did however have the SPB muffler on the pipe as well and it does quiet it down a tad without any noticeable change in performance. It's pretty small and doesn't cost much if you are interested getting the bike a little quieter. Your pipe from jug looks nice and smooth too. If you or a friend can weld you might consider that too once you fairly certain you have the setup just so. Those silicone couplers are OK but leak after they get hot a few times. Count on exhaust slime on the frame.
Still really love that blood red frame....

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Nice job on the bracket at the suppressor end of the pipe biknut. That really looks great. I had the same chamber on my frame and never had it secured so that it didn't either get in the way of the standard or get smacked by the crank. Finally gave up on it. I did however have the SPB muffler on the pipe as well and it does quiet it down a tad without any noticeable change in performance. It's pretty small and doesn't cost much if you are interested getting the bike a little quieter. Your pipe from jug looks nice and smooth too. If you or a friend can weld you might consider that too once you fairly certain you have the setup just so. Those silicone couplers are OK but leak after they get hot a few times. Count on exhaust slime on the frame.
Still really love that blood red frame....
You're the voice of experience Harold, no question about that.

What I've learned the hard way is the end of the exhaust must be secured, or there's no question the header pipe will fail in time. It's quite possible I'll weld the header someday. I know the silicone tubing doesn't last forever. Under the silicone tubing I have a small screw holding the header, and the SBP pipe together, so at least I don't have to worry about it falling apart. The bracket I fabbed is extra strong, and I double clampted it to make sure the possibilty of total failure would be remote. I sort of doubt I'll ever bother trying to quiet the pipe down further though, it's really not an issue for me.

As always, thanks for sharing your wisdom with me.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Wisdom and experience gained through failure and frustration, as I'm sure you've noticed! I've read a lot about what has worked for others and so I've tried it. Sometimes it has worked for me and sometimes not so much. I hope to share what I learned in the process of blowing a lot of money. I'm taking my bike down to the frame this weekend. Your build is my inspiration Dude....

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I decided to change the pedal side gearing from a 44T to a 41T front sprocket. It seemed a little tallish for a 60 lb motor bicycle that usually only gets pedaled away from stop signs.

This was a learning experience for me, because I haven't had much occasion to work on an American style BB. Since Stunner was new I've noticed a slight roughness in the bottom bracket. Today when I took it apart I found 2 of the bearing balls had fallen out of the cage and were laying inside the frame. It must of been this way since it was put together at the factory. I've always noticed that the crank had some slight play, and bought a BB wrench to try to tighten up the races a couple months ago. No matter how tight I adjusted the races, it still had a little glitch in it. I thought that's just the best you get. Now all the slop is gone, and it feels a lot better.

I didn't have a chance to ride it yet so I'll have to tell you how it rides later, but I expect it to be easier to pedal now.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
LOL Well...I can relate, because my head tends to puff up a bit as well everytime I ride to the Post Office and get a couple of "thumbs up" along the way.
Biknuts bike will get more then a few "thumbs ups" I am sure. Unless of course he is the red terror of his community and then maybe he may get a few "middle finger" ups. Those can be head deflating.LOL

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You guys leave the size of my head out of this. I was an only child. Besides, on this forum it's hard to get the big head, there's so many people making such great bikes it's hard for even a big head like me to get any attention at all. I'm just happy to be here.

I must confess, if any of my bikes are good, it's only because of information I glomed from others before me. I'm more a monkey see, monkey do kind of guy.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yesterday I repaired a tricky problem. I was riding stunner on a long ride. I was about 2 miles from home after about 25 miles. Like usual I was blasting about 35-40 mph. I stopped for a light. When taking off after the light, all of a sudden my bike wouldn't take full throttle. Half throttle or less it ran fine. Full throttle, it acted like the ignition was turning off.

The only problems I've had with this motor was 2 magneto coils have failed, so I was suspecting another failure. But ohming out the windings showed 350 ohm, which is normal. Since the problem seemed electrical to me, I changed the CDI box. That had no effect on the problem. It made me think about it being the carb.

But before removing the carb, I tried a few more test rides, and noticed at full throttle the motor seemed like it was vibrating more than normal. After taking a closer look, I noticed one of the screws on the rear motor mount was gone, and the other one was loose. These were the 2 screws holding the mount to the engine. 2 of 7 screws making up the fancy KW machine rear mount. None of the other screws were loose.

After replacing the screws the problem was gone. The problem was caused by the motor vribrating enough to make the carb go nuts at full throttle.

I really thought it was electrical by the way it felt.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Since you put coaster brakes on such a nice bike it seems to me that your opinion of them is pretty good. (combined with decent front brakes of course)

When my cash flow improves I want to get rid of the rim brakes and go disc or coaster.
How would you personally rate coaster brakes for a motorbicycle?

I know that when I was a kid they always stopped me and seemed to last forever. What kind of lifespan can one expect on a motorized bicycle?