Making it up as I go

GoldenMotor.com

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt

It was the crank arm for a small bead roller that would clamp to a bench, or maybe "seam roller" might be a better name.
And I found a tail light, its a re-pro but still cool and was only $24, Can't beat that with a stick.

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
This Question goes out to anyone who has insight on legalizing a scratch built motorcycle. I know I need a certificate of build. Has anyone done this? All so as I'm using a flat-head brigg's with no EPA cert. can it still be inspected if it has every thing else ( lights, horn ect.) and do I need DOT tires? I don't plan on going on the high-way so isn't that a different class of tire? I live in Vermont but I think the inspection criteria might be based on Ca minus the emissions.
Any info or leads to sources to info would be very helpful.
Thanks.

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
This Question goes out to anyone who has insight on legalizing a scratch built motorcycle. I know I need a certificate of build. Has anyone done this? All so as I'm using a flat-head brigg's with no EPA cert. can it still be inspected if it has every thing else ( lights, horn ect.) and do I need DOT tires? I don't plan on going on the high-way so isn't that a different class of tire? I live in Vermont but I think the inspection criteria might be based on Ca minus the emissions.
Any info or leads to sources to info would be very helpful.
Thanks.
You might contact cobrafreak, I think he registered his bike as a moped. If it is based on Cali law you will need dot tires to register as a motorcycle. I'm planning to go moped so I don't have to have turn signals but I am putting pedals on my bike.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I know you talk about legal on the road and mention brake light etc. This may not interest you, but I did get what California calls Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) registration for my motor bike, which has no pedals anymore just foot pegs. OHV is like dirt bikes and 4 wheel ATV's that are not street legal. I found it useful, but note you have to transport it to the legal area to ride by trailer or something or risk a ticket. I did have a bit of paperwork to fill out as they signified it as a motorcycle and since I was the manufacturer it also state Special on the registration. They charged 52 dollars for 2 years so I can trail ride or on some very limited unimproved mostly dirt roads in US National Forest Lands where noted, OK to ride legal.

MT

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
Did a little research
1. In Vermont a motorcycle under 300cc does not need a title.
2. In order to register it I need to compleat a MCO.
What's that you ask?

Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin

From that point It's on to the state inspection. I'm shooting June so I got some time but it would be real cool to ride this contraption to Laconia, New Hampshire for bike week.

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
And back to the brakes, finished up the mounts and linkage from the brake lever to the back wheel.

Might swap the clip on the end of the brake rod for a yoke an clevis-pin like the one up the front. That was the last one in the shop and ace was out as well. On the other hand I bet I could machine one out of stainless in the time it would take to get to Tractor Supply an back.

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
Did some work on the kick-start as well, not so much changing as up grading parts and or materials. Like the axle was a cut down 3/4" bolt which are never really 3/4", there like .738 which is a little more slop then I like. So I turned one down out of stainless and stepped it 1" for the gear,7/8" arm and spring and .749 for the bronze bearings.

Couldn't remember if I ever showed any photos of the hub I made for sprocket on the flywheel side of the kick-start.

That's a one way clutch needle bearing pressed in there. Took two tries to get that right, if you find your self using them make sure you check the +/- tolerances.

And last my tail-light and wire showed up and I came across some marker lights as well so I'll be back on the electrical side of thing soon. With any luck I'll have the alternator figured out by then.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
And back to the brakes, finished up the mounts and linkage from the brake lever to the back wheel.

Might swap the clip on the end of the brake rod for a yoke an clevis-pin like the one up the front. That was the last one in the shop and ace was out as well. On the other hand I bet I could machine one out of stainless in the time it would take to get to Tractor Supply an back.
=========

Looking at what I expect is a way to tighten the wheel axle back in the drop outs, I was wondering how the parts push or pull to make the chain tighter?

I guess I just may not be seeing where the threaded rod by what looks like maybe a nylon locking nut move toward the back of the drop outs with something attached to the threaded rod. Something then would have to encompass the axle attached to the threaded rod to pull back and tighten the wheel if I got it right? Is that a washer that is welded to the rod?

MT

Forgot to mention, this looks like quite nice!

Last edited:

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
That's all they are. Came off a BMX or maybe a track bike, I did make new ends that fold over the frame. The ones that they came with were kind'a week.

On another note I found some thing wicked interesting. I've been doing research on the requirements for a state inspection and there it was.

"Motor approved with an EPA highway use certification"

Right at the top of the list.....sooo as I'm using an old brigg's motor I go to there official site and guess what?

NO Cert.

So now what do I do? Well if your me and never take a piece of information with out questioning it, you do more research. ...Ever read the CFR.

Code of Federal Regulations. I've had to deal with this book on hazmat issues for work so I'm a little versed.

§86.407-78 Certificate of conformity required.
(a) General requirement. Every new motorcycle manufactured for sale, sold, offered for sale, introduced or delivered for introduction into commerce, or imported into the United States which is subject to any of the standards prescribed in this subpart is required to be covered by a certificate of conformity issued pursuant to this subpart, except as specified in paragraph (b) of this section, or otherwise exempted from this requirement.

This is where it gets good, So what would make me exempt ?

(b) Interim personal use exemption. An individual may manufacture one motorcycle for personal use without a certificate of conformity, subject to the following provisions:

(1) The motorcycle may not be manufactured from a certified motorcycle. The motorcycle may not be manufactured from a partially complete motorcycle that is equivalent to a certified motorcycle, unless the emission controls are included in the final product. The motorcycle must be manufactured primarily from unassembled components, but may incorporate some preassembled components. For example, fully preassembled transmissions may be used.

(2) The motorcycle may not be sold within five years of the date of final assembly.

(3) No individual may manufacture more than one motorcycle during his or her lifetime under this exemption. This restriction applies with respect to the person who purchases the components and/or uses the motorcycle, rather than to the person(s) who actually assemble(s) the motorcycle.

(4) This exemption may not be used to circumvent the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section or the requirements of the Clean Air Act. For example, this exemption would not cover a case in which an entity purchases a kit, assembles the kit, and then sells it to another party; this would be considered to be the sale of the complete motorcycle.

So as I understand it you get one shot at it, Build a, use any motor you like, don't sell it. at least for 5 years. And just when I thought no one in the government liked us.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I wonder what they require as for Off Highway Vehicles for home built and the air quality thing in your state?

I found that even though the engine is 1970's ish, since it is a 4 stroke then my Briggs is good for the Green OHV Sticker rather than the 2 stroke Red OHV Sticker.

Red Sticker does not allow a much of the calender year at some Fed, State, & County lands were trail riding goes on.

I should make a tensioner like the way you did it. I may also wait and do it on another build. I did find that when replacing a cracked washing machine pulley that is cast aluminum alloy with the pre-made Whizzer replica made of press steel, it sticks out further than my own home brew.

I got a new wheel and I'm just waiting for a longer axle that is compatible. This will also mean the drop outs will be spread a bit further and maybe I would do the zig zag cut and weld. If I do that I might as well incorporate the nifty tensioner.

I realize that since you made the frame from scratch then you already knew how the spacing would be for the axle and clearance. Your quite talented!

I'd like to make a frame from scratch, but till I have a better way of working where I don't annoy neighbors I will just be happy to get it back on the Off Road again soon. The art vehicle to resemble a Fish I could have ready this summer, but first to get pulley on rear spoke again and test it out.

MT

Art Fish Vehicle http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678&page=16

Back country riding off road http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=53832

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
Took a short break to knock out a little side project. My boss at the railroad is retiring after 40+ years. One of the most knowledgeable men I've meet, and been known to throw a wrench from time to time so we made him an award.

"THE FLYING WRENCH"

Hope he like's it.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
That is Really Cool I have been thing of making a clock similar to what you have made but with three bicycle chain wheels with different world time zones and with a chain connecting all, you have convinced me to do it.
NICE!

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
I,ve realized I don't make parts in a very productive order. I make things in the order that are the most inspiring . So to that end ......The head badge.

Brass, ferric acid(PC board etching) and a little photoshop

Aged over ammonia and a little sanding for contrast.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Awesome badge!

I totally get what you mean about the order of things. Some tasks take zero creativity. I just spent two weekends on wiring.