Making it up as I go

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Dude! I'm following this post. Wicked cool bike here! I'm liking how it's coming together. And you've got skills and an eye for re-purposing stuff. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
What am I building?...Let's see. Toy..maybe.
Mental addiction..probably
The engineering equivalent of masturbation?
That was it! Now I remember. But most people just call it a "motor bike"

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
finally got around to the motor. Tore it down, soaked, scrubbed, blasted, and painted it. Replaced the carb, drilled and tapped a for a brass oil fill.( totally stole this idea, thanks who ever did it first. ) Cute little sight glass came off an old locomotive governor. Not sure if it will work on here but it sure looks nifty.

Once the paint cures I can toss all the itty-bits back in.

Also picked a new front hub, spokes and hoops.

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
Started getting my motor all hooked back up. With the new carb that meant running a new throttle cable, so apart comes the throttle. This thing took the better part of a month to machine, all the parts were made at least 3 times just to get them right but in the end I was very happy with it.
So in the interest of saving anyone a little time and frustration here's a few shots while I had it apart.

Cutting the helix was probably the hardest part, getting the right pitch, the right throw, and balancing the twist with the return spring.
If any one feels like trying to make one feel free to hit me up for advice.
As for the cable, that's all together and the engine sounds wicked good with the new carb.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Honda Cubs used to use that method, also some JawaCZ bikes, if you trip over one that's being broken for spares.

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
That's where I got most the concept, found an old part# drawing for a Cub then worked out the sizes to fit inside an old brass cutting torch handle.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I hope you've sorted the lubrication better than Honda, they can become very hard to operate when the grease wears off.

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
At the moment I'm trying plain old bearing grease, seems to work ok. After it was all back together I remembered I wanted to try lithium.
We'll see how it goes.

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
Came up with a brake lever off an old piece of equipment. That with some time on the lathe and some stainless hardware should work just fine.

I love the look of old crap mixed with freshly machined parts.
Just need a few 1/2" oilite bushings and to weld on some brackets.