magneto side shaft not turning true

GoldenMotor.com

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
indeed they are..
well after 2 hrs of reading I've learnt a few things.
Looking at foureasy's weights they look very similar to what I've done.
I might try cleaning mine up a tad more and throw the crank in the lathe to dial'er up.
If that is what foureasy has done I cant be too far off the mark might give the weights Ive done another shot but properly this time.
Next post will be the results of the above..hmmm

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
my lathe at works slowest setting is 70rpm this is going to make things very difficult.. gaaarrnnn darn it!!!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
my lathe at works slowest setting is 70rpm this is going to make things very difficult.. gaaarrnnn darn it!!!
Use a variable speed drill press to check run out. Its a thought. Gonna need a big chuck. I forget what size the crank is I would have to go look. I have seen some drill presses that could be slowed to a crawl!

Last edited:

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Ahh yes I like ur thinking I think I have just the bit for that.
Well the crank is out spare motor back in.
By the naked eye I can't c any probs with it but I know that doesn't mean alot.
Look forward to checking it out 2morrow. Thanks GH
I'll post up picks of the piston and porting I did yadda yadda.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
After taking another look at the piston on the intake side you guys were right it barely covers the intake port. pics attached below. (sorry 4 the pics being round the wrong way)
another pic is of the small end bearing. the new one is on the right.
GT5 Go sickem
conrod- ZAF60 (long rod)
crankshaft bearings- 6203LLU/2AS
drive shaft bearings- 6202Z not sure about the Z.(lost the box)
With the driveshaft and crankshaft bearings ya gotta pop a seal off 1 side.
small end beaing- K10x14x12
big end bearing- K16x22x12
crankshaft smashed with the closest large piece of metal i could find then all pieces hauled across the workshop..

I learnt welding the crank is virtually impossible (with my little experience) to get the dam thing to stay straight (0.3mm out shaft to shaft) after it cools down. I think this is why i became an electrician.. jeezuzz!
I tried the whole lot twice with bracing each time for the cool down but it still would come out of whack to 1.5mm. From there tried to make it straight.
With no luck just frustration.

Damn thing nearly sent me insane I went for a smoke and whispered to one of the forklit drivers -pls kill me- LOL

I'm getting another crank out of a wrecked motor from my supplier and going to try the whole rebalance thing again.
This time no welding and minimal movements.

Hopefully better luck next time I cant let this bloody thing beat me this is the 2nd GT5 that has done this I dont want there to be a 3rd hence keeping the spare motor a spare and the "built" motor as the work horse.

Attachments

Last edited:

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
ok so I cheated.
Went and picked up a new bottom end (it had a front engine stud snapped in so he couldnt sell it hence selling in parts) ported the transfers up to match the jug and went abit further for better flow. Used the jug and piston with the trimmed piston skirt and replaced the top end bearing with a good one. (never split the cases).

Fitted the 30mm intake and grubbee zorst and a 8.0mm plug lead and fark me its haulin. I was going up the motorway doing 68km/hr on the flats (for short spurts). gr8 power all the way from 35km/hr upwards. Still has the bottom end grunt too and pulls up the same hill i ride up every day an extra 5km/hr quicker at this specific bus stop. Very happy with the result. Seems they arent to far outta balance stock TBH the only small vibration that comes through is from 50km/hr to 60km/hr after that smooth as butter.

I will be getting another bottom end off him on the 3rd or 4th that will be the project motor. So until then peace and have a happy new year.

My speedo has only been check by driving next to my old man and doin the shout down of what "wat r ya doin now" not gps verified but I can tell ya now it def. feels like its movin.xct2

Attachments

Last edited:

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Ok got the new motor (GT5 gosickem) in parts saved me bout $120 good thing is it's already got the jug apart coz it's all just bits and pieces from brand new motors that had something stupid wrong with them that hE couldn't sell.

Anyway motor is gettin split tomorrow and crank is getting balanced with the jap bearings throughout rated at more rpm than this china girl will dream of reachin.
Porting still gotta b done with piston skirt trim again. Slant head has been milled back only 0.2mm but betta than nothin i spose..Still yet to source mikuni and kx65 zorst.. Jackshaft kit will be thrown on too on my new diamond back 26".
Should be a good little project for when I'm bored I'll post progression and pics.
Happy moddin
Breno

Last edited:

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Gunna put v brakes on personally I think the cable disc brakes are overrated there is provision for either on it so yep stoopid here thinks v brakes are betta so that's what I'm doin..hehe

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
So it turns I'll be waiting 2weeks before my mate at the machine shop makes the crank worth writing about.. R well plenty of time to get the other nick nacks ready

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Really looking forward to your motor Breno I am exited for you! Some things are worth the wait.:)

I have had really good luck with disk brakes. I swear by them for the most part I like the simplicity of the Avid brand mechanical [cable ones] with 203mm rotors they simply rock for me.

What kind of disk brakes were yours?

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
GH TBH i cant remember I'll have to take a look abit later when i'm back home from work but I will post..
For some reason disc brakes just un-nerve me alittle the last thing I want is to be doing 70-80km/hr (i know that seems like an unrealistic speed but you'll see) and the disc to be that close to the caliper pad and grab with a bit of heat or something i dunno just freaks me out abit..
On speed runs like this there would be plenty of vision ahead and a very slim chance that I would need to jump on the anchors too hard.

Below is just a couple of snap shots of the tranfer port entry. You will notice how daggy the casting finish of 1 side is the other side is now cleaned up a tad.

The transfers themselves have been made larger too with alot of patience mind you but yeah should allow the mix to go up abit easier meaning the piston should go down abit easier blah blah.

I have widened the intake port a tad on both sides and widened the zorst port just a little bit mainly it was just a cleanup up didnt wanna go to far with the intake a zorst port just yet but will do in nother build just to see what it does..

Still yet to do the piston skirt trim and yes I do actually think it is worth doing providing you only do exactly what u gotta do and no more.
You can here the motor chugging alittle better and the other motor which i did which has it and a little clean up between the transfer ports only at the jug joint is screamin.. up the hillls everything and it only has a few basics done on the motor in itself.

I have a good feeling about this build should be pretty quick, for a china girl that is... without the high octane hype too just low 95 octane fuel as that is the lowest we can get and thats all it'll ever get.

I just wish I had somewhere i could ride it as I dont really wanna take this one out at all on the road might be abit much in the way of noise.
hmmm.. any ideas on this one Sydney ppl.

Attachments

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Got the crank balanced today. Got the zorst the other day still gotta fab it up to fit.
Only a matter of a week n I'll have it crackin

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
coming together slowly.. tonight just gotta get a chain and tensioner then im off for some tuning..

I have a .70, .75 and a .8 main jet for the 18mm mikuni which one to use??
I was thinking a .20 or a .25 pilot jet but I bought a few dif. sizes so eventually I spose I'll get it.

Attachments

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
just a few more piccy's..
Bike is ready to run it was too late to take it out last night so lookin forward to getting hm from wk.

Ended up going with the nachi's and popped one side of the seal off so it can still get lubricated.

Set the carb at .20 pilot and .80 main jet with the clip at 2nd up and air screw 1.5 out. Hopefully thats somewhere in the ball park will soon find out.
I need an air filter though so thats gunna stuff me up a little me thinks.

A far bit of work has gone behind all this.
*head has been milled down 0.008" due to warpage
*piston skirt has been trimmed on the intake side
*intake port has been widened
*made a new intake pipe with an I.D of 18mm for the new 18mm mikuni
*zorst is off a 50cc dirt bike and has been matched also + looks the part
*all the bearings in the whole motor have been upgraded to a max. of 12000rpm
*crank is balanced
*transfer ports are larger without going to stupid

once I get it running right I might start playing with the spark timing aiming for a better result.

Attachments

Last edited:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Wow! Nice, you really look like you know what you are doing with all that tuning :) I wouldn't expect it to be reliable but it sure looks fun!