I want a Stealth Bomber, lord help me.

GoldenMotor.com

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
I hit the button today. It's mine, in about 6 weeks. I hope the kitchen is done by then, or it could be troubeeellllle.

Life is full of risks.

I've already named it. Since the factory calls the color devil red, I named it, The Red Devil.
I can't wait to hear your reports when you get it. I'm still trying to figure out what I will need to build an ebike with a fairly small budget. I pretty much know nothing about how to go about it. I wish I could order a Bomber as well, but the fixed income, and swmbo puts the kybosch on that. Hopefully, I can ride with you guys one day.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've only ridden an ebike once. A couple of years ago I was riding the Atomic BB through University Park. Blasting along about 30 mph. This was back when it still had a 48cc motor in it. Up ahead I could see a bicycle riding along so I raced up on it, and then cut my speed to ride along beside it. Being the friendly soul I am, I started talking to the rider as we rode down the street together. It was about a minute before I noticed it was an ebike.

We talked about our bikes, and I ask the guy is he wanted to ride my bike, and he said he was interested so we traded for a few minutes.

His bike was home built like mine, but the donor bicycle was a lot higher quality than the one the Atomic BB was made from. It had a thumb throttle which I wasn't familiar with, but I was able to figure it out pretty fast. I wasn't impressed. It accelerated off the line better than the Atomic BB, but that's all it did. I only topped out at about 18 mph, and the owner told me the range with 2 batteries was 20 miles. he said one battery was new, and one was getting old and had lost some range.

The Atomic BB in comparison was not quite, but approaching twice as fast, and more than twice the range. At the time I never saw myself ever wanting an ebike.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
Initially I wanted a gasoline bike, and even bought the china doll engine kit and Cranbrook. For some reason I just couldn't make myself build it. I think it was the thought of an ebike that I wanted to build, but didn't want to spend the dough for one. The china doll/Cranbrook was a compromise that I thought I could live with, but in the end sold it all. I decided if I couldn't have an ebike, then I wasn't going to have anything. Lately, I've been concentrating on getting the funds together to go forward with an ebike build, but now face the learning curve of electric power, batteries, BMS, controller, etc. that I need to learn about. I'm finding it to be a bit intimidating, and it's hard for me to find much about the basics of doing it. I'm looking for some resources that will help me to understand the various components, and how to put them together in a solid, reliable, package.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my whining.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
so you ordered the bomber? that is going to be one heck of a motorized bicycle. i cannot wait to here all about it after you get it.
dnut
I hit the button today. It's mine, in about 6 weeks. I hope the kitchen is done by then, or it could be troubeeellllle.

Life is full of risks.

I've already named it. Since the factory calls the color devil red, I named it, The Red Devil.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Initially I wanted a gasoline bike, and even bought the china doll engine kit and Cranbrook. For some reason I just couldn't make myself build it. I think it was the thought of an ebike that I wanted to build, but didn't want to spend the dough for one. The china doll/Cranbrook was a compromise that I thought I could live with, but in the end sold it all. I decided if I couldn't have an ebike, then I wasn't going to have anything. Lately, I've been concentrating on getting the funds together to go forward with an ebike build, but now face the learning curve of electric power, batteries, BMS, controller, etc. that I need to learn about. I'm finding it to be a bit intimidating, and it's hard for me to find much about the basics of doing it. I'm looking for some resources that will help me to understand the various components, and how to put them together in a solid, reliable, package.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my whining.
I don't know much about them either. I think a good way for you to get started on a DIY would be to buy a kit that comes with most of the parts you need. I see a lot of them on eBay. The cost of kits isn't that high, but it's the batteries that are the ball buster.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
so you ordered the bomber? that is going to be one heck of a motorized bicycle. i cannot wait to here all about it after you get it.
dnut
Yep, I did. It's a brave new world.

Now I'll have to learn a whole new way to soup up my bike. Luckily I have a lot of friends that are electrical geniuses. One of my best friends is retired from Texas Instruments. He worked on a ebike project for TI a few years ago when they were investigating the possibility of building an ebike, but he said they canned the project, because they felt there wasn't a big enough market for it.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
I don't know much about them either. I think a good way for you to get started on a DIY would be to buy a kit that comes with most of the parts you need. I see a lot of them on eBay. The cost of kits isn't that high, but it's the batteries that are the ball buster.
I'm thinking about getting a kit, but not sure which one to get. I'm pretty sure I want a rear hub motor. I was thinking about starting out with the SLA batteries around 12v 12ah and hook them in series (I think) to get 24v. I was thinking the 12ah would provide decent range and I know the 24v won't produce much speed, but hoping for something around 18mph, or so. From what I've read, the SLA's aren't that good of a choice, but the cost of the Li style batteries are out of budget right now. Then there's the charger, controller:confused: and bicycle itself that needs to be chosen, and there are so many different selections.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
awesome biknut! i went with a simple kit and to be honest with you i got it with every intention of souping it up however believe it or not i am satisfied with what it does, i have put over 6,000 miles on it in the last year and have done nothing to it except ride and enjoy it. only maintenance has been basic bicycle maintenance like changing break pads and adjusting gears. electric and gas motorized bicycles are way different. hard to explain but you will soon see what i mean. i friggen love it

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm thinking about getting a kit, but not sure which one to get. I'm pretty sure I want a rear hub motor. I was thinking about starting out with the SLA batteries around 12v 12ah and hook them in series (I think) to get 24v. I was thinking the 12ah would provide decent range and I know the 24v won't produce much speed, but hoping for something around 18mph, or so. From what I've read, the SLA's aren't that good of a choice, but the cost of the Li style batteries are out of budget right now. Then there's the charger, controller:confused: and bicycle itself that needs to be chosen, and there are so many different selections.
I'd probably be looking at something like this, but not necessarily this one. It's just the first one I found looking on eBay. With a kit like this you don't need to try to reinvent the wheel, someone else has already done the leg work so to speak.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000W-48V-E...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d85f10b8

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
awesome biknut! i went with a simple kit and to be honest with you i got it with every intention of souping it up however believe it or not i am satisfied with what it does, i have put over 6,000 miles on it in the last year and have done nothing to it except ride and enjoy it. only maintenance has been basic bicycle maintenance like changing break pads and adjusting gears. electric and gas motorized bicycles are way different. hard to explain but you will soon see what i mean. i friggen love it
I think I understand what you're talking about Paul. Since I became interested in motorized bicycles a few years ago, my attitude about riding has changed drastically. I no longer crave crazy high speed riding. My non motorized bicycle riding friends don't understand what I'm doing anymore, on their KZs, and ZXs.

I've had great fun learning about my china girls, and the china girls have taught me a few things too. Now I'm looking forward to figuring out about life on an ebike. I feel like I'm about to explore a whole new planet.

Some things will never change though. I know I'll be modifying this bike to suit my own personal preferences and make it my own, just like every other bike I've ever owned.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
oh i have done tons of modifications but they have been to the bike itself. things to make it more comfortable, paint, leather projects, seats , accessories ect. that is all part of the fun, however motor haven't done a thing with it except enjoy it

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've been on some forums talking to Bomber owners. They're warning me about being careful with the throttle at first. Sitting still the bike is silent, and seems docile, but if you're not ready and accidently grab a handful of throttle the bike can apparently spit out from under you like a watermelon seed.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My master plan is on progressing nicely. The kitchen contractor called this morning to inform me that the boss's custom cabinets will be ready to install by next Wednesday. He's coming over to wreck out the kitchen Monday morning so it will be ready in time. I like this guy I hired. He's really on the ball. He's planning to get the stonemasons here to measure, as soon as the cabinets are installed. With a little luck the kitchen will be complete long before my bike gets here.

This plan is making all those years of watching Pinky, and the Brain worthwhile.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I just pulled the dishwasher out from under the countertop. They're coming in the morning to wreck the kitchen out. I'm glad to get this rodeo started.

With a little luck the kitchen will be done long before my bike shows up. I'll be able to lay low for a while, and let the boss bask in the warm glow of her new kitchen.

In November comes rapid fire holidays for us. Among which my birthday is one, and so is the boss's. Plus our 38 year anniversary, and don't forget thanksgiving. With all that going one who's going to notice a little old Stealth Bomber parked in the garage next to all my other bikes?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
My master plan is on progressing nicely. The kitchen contractor called this morning to inform me that the boss's custom cabinets will be ready to install by next Wednesday. He's coming over to wreck out the kitchen Monday morning so it will be ready in time. I like this guy I hired. He's really on the ball. He's planning to get the stonemasons here to measure, as soon as the cabinets are installed. With a little luck the kitchen will be complete long before my bike gets here.

This plan is making all those years of watching Pinky, and the Brain worthwhile.
Should have given me a call man.....I'm a stone mason and could use a little trip to Texas.....

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I just pulled the dishwasher out from under the countertop. They're coming in the morning to wreck the kitchen out. I'm glad to get this rodeo started.

With a little luck the kitchen will be done long before my bike shows up. I'll be able to lay low for a while, and let the boss bask in the warm glow of her new kitchen.

In November comes rapid fire holidays for us. Among which my birthday is one, and so is the boss's. Plus our 38 year anniversary, and don't forget thanksgiving. With all that going one who's going to notice a little old Stealth Bomber parked in the garage next to all my other bikes?
You a very sneaky man lol. Happy upcoming B-day and anniversary!

I've got 3 sons whose B-days are in November....I'll be broke before Christmas.....as usual.