I knew it was just a matter of time

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The latest claim i see is 40mph and 100 mpg... wonder how long the nose is on the person who wrote that.

I guess if I wait long enough I will see 100mph and 1000mpg...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I'm gonna be honest here. I do not know for a fact but I seriously doubt that any of these bikes will do 40mph stock out of the box. I built one and it out of the box did about 25mph on a slight incline. on the flat it might have hit thirty but I sorta doubt it.

Best i ever did mileage was about 90. I think honestly to say thirty mph and 90 mpg is pretty generous but not unrealistic. They have always said a hundred cause it's dramatic and who is really gonna sweat the extra ten mpg. It's that 40mph that makes no sense. That makes the darn thing a motorcycle. You need to register it and insure it in this state.

I know some of the guys have goosed these things but, but out of the box unmodified I just don't believe it.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Deacon is right on. These claims of 40 plus are just that, claims. I can make my bike do anything I want to 'claim' just by reprogramming my speedo to a larger wheel size. I've seen the 'claim' that he gets 40mph on a 41T sprocket and 100+ mpg. Bull hockey. Why is it that some people can't be satisfied with reality and feel it necessary to try feeding us a line of poop when we all know that's what it is? Buy a motorcycle and be done done with it. Motorized bicycles are not for everyone. Especially those unsatisfied with 25/30mph, top speed.
Tom

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
i can do 40 with a 36t sprocket. my motor is very far from stock. my speedo didn't last long enough to check the mileage, but its probably about 30-40mpg. i like passing cars on my bicycle.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
My bike will do 40+ mph on a decent long straight and I did that exactly once. Too scary. 35 mph is just right.

And at that 40 mph speed, my tank was WAY more empty than 100mpg. Probably 50 mpg IF I was lucky. Suckin' fuel like iced tea!

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
exactly deacon. do people still believe what they hear in advertisements.

this is my first bike, but i knew a few people that had them. i always asked them how fast they were, i always get the same answer, "about 40". so i build mine with quality american bicycle parts, do some serious port work, carb, several handmade pipes, and a squish type combustion chamber, then i let daryl and his other brother daryl ride it (with an f'n speedo on it) and they come back saying they never got it over 36. what i always say is dont talk about it, be about it

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
One of mine will 38mph, the other keeps pulling slowly (acelerating) after 40 but its too scary to go faster. Both have high compression heads, shift kits, and the faster one has a tuned pipe.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
Claims remind me of the old man on the EDENPURE electric heater TV
commerical, he is holding his electric bill and claims it only raised $1.00
from using the heater. Somebody forgot to tell him that he has to do
more than just plug the heater into the electrical socket..,.he has to
turn the heater on....lol

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I build ebikes now so the speed things means nothing to me but the range thing is a huge joke. If you want to get twenty miles on a charge be ready to pedal fifteen of them.

Last edited:

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
i put the gps on all 3 of my bikes this past weekend, grubee 49cc 24.3mph 66cc fengshui or whatever24.8 honda clone 4 stroke 24.3 all have slightly punched out exhaust running on a flat stretch about 300 yards long

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
Has anyone ever thought about building their own engine from the ground up? im sure that we could possibly get that sorta MPG/and MPH if we built it from the ground up. Maybe check out building a true wankel rotary etc.. maybe a jet dont know. have you guys heard of the law of attraction.. yeah it sucks some people are overhyping these things but you know it dose help to be a little more positive. in the end the exaggerating MFERS will get their just desserts.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Found a MB for sale on the side of the road yesterday, a Walmart Huffy cruiser with some off-brand china girl motor, all stock and obv not broken in.

The fellow, while nice enough and despite the fact I had my MB parked right there - he kept trying to assure me that his was indeed an 80cc and that in fact it could do 40+ mph with "his buddy riding it."

No gears, no pipe, the same crappy carb and rear sprocket as mine... I challenged him to a race right then and there - telling him as I only had a 66cc, laden down w/tools and whatnot, that was "only" capable of 30mph max, thus he was sure to beat me cold.

Many excuses followed and there was no race to be had :(

Last edited:

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I was checking out an old barn on a abanded piece of property
reclaimed by a Bank or who really knows. The property was covered
with 10 foot high weeds. I was looking in the barn for abandon bicycles.
Notice carcusses of dead cats laying around. I moved a piece of old 4'x8'
plywood and there was this animal as big as a kulo bear with claws 4 inches
long, was kind of white with brown spots. I ran like **** because this thing
is eating cats for snacks. I identified it as an old possum, never will I see one
again as big as that and really don't want to.

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
(of course) it's punching a hole through the air that requires the power and consumes the fuel; & air resistance rises with the square of speed;

so if it takes 4 units of energy to maintain a speed of 20mph
it will take 9 units to maintain 30mph
12.25 units to maintain 35mph
16 units to maintain 40mph

and so on.

of course the amount of energy required to reach a given speed is a different matter altogether. Here's hoping someone apart from myself finds any of this relevant....