I hate Tupac

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
When did it become heroic to be a violent gang bangin' criminal?
Who made this punk a role model?
He was a criminal who got rich dealing drugs and selling music about crime and killing and violence to other criminals.
And this made him some kind of hero? What a crock of %^%$!
Even after he became a millionaire, he remained active in gang business which led to his death. He "sang" about the worst of his kind as though he were innocent of any wrongdoing, when in truth, he was a violent killer with no ethical code or morals. He was no damn hero or role model.
The rap culture is nothing but ugly, violent hatred masked beneath other peoples music samples.
Kids? Your choices in role models sucks.
Just my opinion.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
There's nothing new about the media industry using sex, drugs & violence to promote sales, nor has it been limited to any particular genre - even the adulation of a "violent gang bangin' criminal" as a "role model" isn't something atypical, just for the sake of argument I'm sure we all remember good ol' Sinatra & the mob lol

I'd rather just ignore music I dislike than the alternative ;)

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
maniac you too I look forward to meeting at some time in the future

you are so correct everything is so f... up and upside down and the youngsters don't realize what is going on and its consequences

today I was clearing weed trees at my commercial property so I had my saws in hand on the sidewalk down the street from this building was a monster tree that was virtually obstructing the sidewalk which is across from a public elementary school and the mostly women bringing their youngsters to school are also pushing babies in carriages
the tree - no normal tree-made is almost impossible to pass so I spent 2 hours wrestling with this thing and left my handiwork on the edge of the sidewalk out of the pedestrians way later in the afternoon I came across a los angeles tree chopper vehicle cleaning the trimmed material-- great!!! I told them they need to remove this monster tree which had been planted by a tenant on the street many years ago to utilize in her florist business for the tangled pieces it produced
when I mentioned I had done a civic deed in trimming it one of the chopper feeders said careful!! it was his responsibility to report me to his supervisor who would then issue me some kid of summons--what a crazy world we live in
he would not report me but warned me --- this makes the average good guy have to think twice about doing the right thing and thus our downward spiral of community and taken further civilization!!!!

Last edited:

SuedePflow

Jun 12, 2013
Coloma, MI
After reading this post, I checked the timestamp expecting to see this thread was from 1998.

Many other far more pathetic artists/rappers/singers have taken Tupac's place as a role model to the youth these days. I'm not saying I disagree with you or anything, but I'd venture to say that ~80% of today's musical artists would be considered poor role models. Tupac wasn't the start of it and he surely wasn't the end of it either. Just another brick in the wall.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Since we're on the subject of 'role models', is anyone else tired of seeing professional sports figures setting negative examples. I'm so sick of hearing about them being involved with domestic abuse, drunk driving, drug/steroid abuse and other breaches of the law. On top of that the courts rountinely slap them on the wrist then send them back to the playing fields where they're paid criminally high salaries and present themselves as upstanding citizens who too many kids want to emulate.

It's a good thing for them I'm not in a position of authority, baseball commisioner, or president of the NFL etc. There'd be some changes made as far as behavior of some of these overpaid and arrogant baffoons and stiff fines and penalties applied if not downright banishment from the sport.

Tom

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
For what it's worth;
When I was about fifteen, a young Irishman from Brockton Mass, living in San Jose, I hung out with some guys in Tupac Shakurs neighborhood (Oakland Ca) regularly. He was in, or trying to be in, a band called Digital Underground. He was not rich or famous. He did not sell drugs. He was not in a gang. He was most often referred to by the stories of him being a clown, or running away from conflict.
It's all fake, and there are still those who would admire...

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Just a rant due to people posting pics of this dou che canoe on Facebook.
I was no angel in my youth (!!!) but when we were kids we knew better than to bring crap like that home. We hid our antisocial behavior because we would have been severely beaten if we had tried!
99% of teenagers these days are in need of some good 'ol fashioned a$$whoopin!
I KNOW for a fact it kept me from being MUCH worse than I was.
My Grandma would have ended me.
The moral of this rant?
BEAT YOUR KIDS IF THEY SCREW UP!!!!!
Hey, it worked for generations.
Look at things now.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Please try not to overgeneralize all hip hop music into the category of 1990's gangster rap, of which most agree the message is ignorant and stupid, even within the hip hop community.

Like any music genre, there are the good and the bad, the enlightened and the stupid, I'd be more concerned about the kids who idealize the image Tupac portrays rather than hating the rapper himself, who told about what its like to live in Oakland, CA. I live near Oakland, and I'd only go there if I really needed to and at the appropriate time and place, its a dangerous neighborhood.

I don't listen to his music, and can't identify with the lyrics, but I don't discriminate against rap or hip hop as a whole, because for every person pushing a bad message with corporate backing there are two artists making music on their own promoting positive values, you have to look for them though because there is no money in the righteous path.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I don't understand how anyone could call RAP music, poetry Perhaps? BUT MUSIC? A little music behind someone reciting poetry is as far as I go. NOT MUSIC!!!

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
It is absolutely amazing what passes from music, singing or talent now a days. Rule in my home is simple no banjo, fiddle, or harmonica. NO VOLUME simple. That saves me from listening to rap or crap

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
It is absolutely amazing what passes from music, singing or talent now a days. Rule in my home is simple no banjo, fiddle, or harmonica. NO VOLUME simple. That saves me from listening to rap or crap
Classic ROCK ONLY in my house, But you can turn the volume up on THAT if ya want. Hendrix, joplin, clapton, ect. REAL MUSIC!!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Music and musicians, to me, are like art and artist. If they don't have or show any talent then they aren't musicians or artists.

Some of what passes for art today is laughable. When a guy stacks concrete blocks in a pile and paints them yellow and calls it 'art', he rates right up there with so-called musical talent that stands there making silly hand gestures, can't sing or even carry a tune, yells into a microphone about how bad his life is or how much he hates women and cops.
The sad part is that the gullible will pay good money for this stuff. $38,000 for a six foot ball of concrete called, 'Sphere'. Another one was 25 wooden boxes laid out in a line, filled with dirt and had a layer of sod on top. The 'artist' called it, 'Eath Line' and a local groupe paid him $50,000 for his 'talent'. Artist? Yep, a scam artist.

I can only imagine how much money has been spent by people to buy the garbage some call 'music' today.

Tom

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Corporate America capitalizing on impressionable young kids to make a buck and perpetuating the violence of American youth. Corporate America spends Billions trying to influence our lives. The music industry is just a part of that billion dollar influence.

The rappers and Corporate America were the ones making the money off the violence of American Youth. Unfortunately, most of the young kids were too naive of the overall picture of what was really going on. Many were indoctrinated into the gangster lifestyle at a very young age and knew of nothing different - Parents, Uncles, Aunts, Brothers, Sisters, Cousins and/or older teens were the initiators in many cases.

I spent 25 years working with these kids (Oakland, L.A., Compton) and know first hand what it did to their lives, their families lives and their communities.

Unfortunately, many youth attempted to emulate the gangster lifestyle portrayed by the "actors" of gangster rap and bought into the belief that they needed "Street Cred" to be someone in Life. Violence was a way to develop your "street Cred" or acceptance.

Sharing similar violent experiences can have an impact on how people relate to each other - think of how combat affects bonding with veterans. Many kids involved in the gangster lifestyle experienced the same bonding as combat veterans.

Think about who you wanted to be like when you were growing up and how that individual(s) shape your attitude, dress, demeanor, etc.

How many youth in the past idolized the local bootlegger, moonshiner, bookie, mobster, drug dealer, etc. Idolizing the ant-hero can have significant consequences on a young kid.

What happened to Roy Rodgers, Bat Man, Sheriff Dillon, Underdog and Superman?

maniac57 - I don't agree with you on beating your kids if they screw up.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
2 door ever heard of chris burden about 25-30 years ago had someone shoot him in the arm with a 22 at an art gallery-- suffer for his art what a load of bs should have shot him in the head --in any event made a career from it
lately he does these things called beam drops just that-- has a 30 X30 or greater 12 foot deep pit dug in the dirt fills it with concrete and has a crane of substantial height raise steel beams of various dimensions all atleast 25 feet long ---used so atleast they have some patina and character none of which he is responsible for --- and then with some pull rope release drops them earthward and hopes they stick in the mud anyway does this around the world and I am sure gets paid greatly for it --
-- he can't draw to save his life
upside down and backwards --- some musical poster here should write/compose/produce or do a you tube --
"upside down and backwards" tell it like it is really is !!!!!

ride safe

Last edited:

mkatt4x4

Aug 30, 2013
Canada
Ya anything syntheized through a computer is no talent. Either is anything you cant understand or hear the words to......like rap and that screaming metal style.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
If I'd known when I was younger I'd be able to buy a singing voice (autotune) I might have gone farther with my guitars back then. As it is, I won't listen to anyone autotuned (and wouldn't do it to myself anyway). I won't listen to [c]rap, or "house/dance/electronic" stuff. As I've said to people who insist on listening to it, "I'm a middle-aged white guy... There's nothing in this I can relate to."

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Buba, no I've not heard of the guy but he would fall into the same catagory as the one who strung streamers across the Grand Canyon or who took a Cessna 172, painted it purple then stuck it to the side of a building in downtown Denver. Art? ha. ha, ha.

Singing talent: Listen very closely to a lot of the current and popular, especially young female vocalist (I refuse to call them singers) and you'll hear their voices overdubbed at least once, sometimes more.

This is a very old trick used to enhance the voice of a singer. Those with little to no actual talent can be made to sound almost presentable with some overdubbing. It adds depth and resonance to the voice and that's why they use it. To cover up the fact that they can't sing or carry a tune in a handbasket. What they lack in talent is made up in hype and promotion and a little digital enhancment.

Tom

mkatt4x4

Aug 30, 2013
Canada
I heard Ozzy Osbourne sings through a computer. I listen to him speak face to face with someone then listen to him sing. I believe it.