Huffy Cranbrook with 4 stroke

GoldenMotor.com

rackemblue

Jan 20, 2014
Orange,Tex
I have the new HS model 4 stroke going to install on a Huffy Cranbrook Wal Mart cheap $99.00 model. problem is The kit sent a three piece crank kit with just the left crank and the right crank with the pedal arm square hole arms. no center shaft or lower bracket set. My understanding is the cranbrook cheaper model has a one piece crank. how can I set up a wide crank for motor clearance with the set up they include with the kit? this is the HS 49cc Honda 49cc clone motor.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I have the new HS model 4 stroke going to install on a Huffy Cranbrook Wal Mart cheap $99.00 model.
Besides it being doubtful you could even fit a gasbike 4S 49cc HS 142F with 4G in the thing you don't want to.

The back wheel will simply not hot hold up if you can even get a sprocket on it right, and most of the other parts including the frame are just crap and why it's only $100.

Just take the $100 bike back and save until you have $250 or so and buy a good big bike that that motor will drop into and do the job you need it to.

Just my advice, take it or leave it.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You can order a 1 piece to 3 piece crank conversion kit from an internet vendor or EBay for around $30. The Cranbrook will work but as KC said, be prepared to replace things that break with better ones.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I own a cranbrook that I built for a guy that worked with me a few years ago that he never came back for after leaving, he paid for everything so its all good. As has been said the rear wheel bearings leave a lot to be desired, at a minimum clean and repack them regularly. Better yet replace them to start with, the coaster brake stinks also, at least mine does. Add side pull brakes with a dual pull lever along with the coaster and it will stop.

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
I took my cranbrook through 50km of rough roads, mud, and hills at 40km/h and it held up fine, though I also rebuilt the drive train and went over all the bolts when I bought it.

If you're tight on cash, you can rob a shaft off an old bicycle with the three piece cranks.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have been beating the heck out of a Huffy Cranbrook/Karaoke since 2010, lots of miles on it now, about 1200+ and much of it on very rough dirt roads, zero failures with the bike, wheels are still excellent shape, and as a matter of fact I have been working on it this last week a little just changing bars and brakes and cables to freshen things up a bit and I wanted some taller bars on it for more comfort on the long rides I take on my bikes sometime, road my old Kulana 49 miles the other day and then I road it again yesterday on a 35 mile trip, done several long trips on the Huffy, I made sure everything was well lubed and tight and put some high quality grease in wheel bearings, still going great and I dont toodle around, I always cruise at 30+ MPH on all 4 of my bikes, make sure everything on the Huffy is tight and repack the wheel bearings with a quality grease like Lucas Hi Tack Red grease and you'll likely have good luck with the Huffy.

pics I included here are pics I took today after getting bars and new cables on, still need to do a couple other things but this is a very reliable and comfortable bike to ride, nothing wrong with the Huffy bikes in my opinion if they're done right which also applies to all the rest of them as well.

Map

Attachments

rackemblue

Jan 20, 2014
Orange,Tex
Thanks for all the info. I decided to go ahead with the two stroke bumble bee friction motor on the cranbrook. I am also building a china girl 80/66 motor on a roadmaster as well as the 4 stroke build on a not yet decided cruiser brand. I"ll look at a few bikes and pay more attention to the strength of the spokes,frame and wheels on a cruiser 4 stroke build.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks for all the info. I decided to go ahead with the two stroke bumble bee friction motor on the cranbrook. I am also building a china girl 80/66 motor on a roadmaster as well as the 4 stroke build on a not yet decided cruiser brand. I"ll look at a few bikes and pay more attention to the strength of the spokes,frame and wheels on a cruiser 4 stroke build.
The $230 29" Macargi Fatal Love is a nice bike for a the gasbike 4-stroke.

Just add a front brake.
The engine kit drops right it and with the 29" wheels it will get you over 30MPH.
You still have to deal with replacing the single piece crank with the wider 3-piece crank set but the threaded bearing cups are easy to find and the kit has the inner parts and new pedal sprocket.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
You could get a sprocket on that wheel easy with a sprocket adapter and if you service the hub properly it should work fine. And if a 99cc predator will fit in a cranbrook, a 49cc huasheng will easily fit.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
You could get a sprocket on that wheel easy with a sprocket adapter and if you service the hub properly it should work fine. And if a 99cc predator will fit in a cranbrook, a 49cc huasheng will easily fit.
Is it just me? Or is that about the worst advice in 1 paragraph you have ever heard?

Throw $80 to a 'hub adapter' on a hub known to be a failure prone POS and not just buy a better bike or at least a new back wheel?
A 99cc Pred on a stock cranbrook?

I am leaving this topic alone now, I said my peace, that being it is ill-advised to build anything on a $100 bike with an expensive system when you can build something you don't have to mess with and will last a long time for ~$100-$150 more.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Many people here with good results with a Huffy build but the proof doesn't matter to some, the hate just continues...LOL

No, the Huffy Cranbrook isn't the best bike, and NO the wheel hub in the rear isnt the best, but ( IF....! ) it is properly greased with high quality Grease it has been known to do just fine on many bikes, mine is one of them, I do however think that if you come across a good deal on a Cranny and want to make a nice more dependable bike with it, it's not a bad idea to drop a $100 extra and get a good set of wheels from Husky with a Shimano Hub and 12ga spokes or even the K-Stop Hub wheel with the 11ga spokes, I personally like the Shimano Hub, very good coaster hub.

I picked up a Schwinn Fleet yesterday for $40, simular to the Huffy Cranbrook, I'm gonna put a set of the Husky 12ga spoke wheels on it since the front wheel on it is very warped and the whells just look a bit weak to me, when the Huffy wheels finally die, I'll do the same for it also, personally I'll take the Huffy wheels after they have been greased up good over the Macargi wheels since the Huffy wheels have the larger 12ga spokes vs the little 14ga that is in the Macargi wheels I see in that 29'er pic.

The main thing that needs to be emphasized here is that the Huffy wheels are known for coming out of the factory with very little grease in the bearings, that will kill any wheel in a short time, just make sure the bearings are well greased with quality grease and that the bearing are adjusted (tensioned) right and chances are you'll have good luck with them just like I have and others.

map

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have a cranbrook frame I am planning on motorizing soon, though I plan on using a custom 24" wheel set.
I like the ride and feel of the 24" wheels, a 30T reat sprocket works great on 24" wheels in my experience if the engine is strong and has been set up and tuned right with a good flowing exhaust or expansion pipe that flows good.

put a set of 24" mountain bike suspesion forks on it with the V Brakes and with a good caoster on the rear like a Shimano 110 Hub and it does great, good brakes front and rear, lower to the ground and a suspesion for the bumps on the front..

This may be the route I go with the Schwinn Fleet I picked up yesterday for $40, wheels on it are crap but the frame is excellent.

I included a pick here

Map

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I like rag joint coupler and I like the manic type or other adapters, either is fine when set up right, never had a problem with stock coupler myself, but if you use a wheel with larger 12 or 11ga spome you will have a better and safer set up for sure.

I run 14ga spome wheels also but I keep a close eye on the spokes.

Map

rackemblue

Jan 20, 2014
Orange,Tex
I know the 4 stroke fits. I have already fitted it to make sure, but I will feel better knowing that a better bike is really the best build because of the cheap quality of the cranbrook. I have already put the friction drive on the cranbrook. I plan on keeping the four stroke49cc and the 80/66 2 stroke on the roadmaster mountain bike. I will probably sale the friction drive to fund another build. I will get a good solid cruiser bike with 12ga spokes and a springer front forks for the 4 stroke build. Thanks for all the input.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The main thing to remember is ANY box store bike, regardless of brand, might not be assembled right or well.
If you take the time to properly lube and adjust everything, the Cranbrooks tend to hold up quite well on motor power, and any bike can benefit from a good going over.
I ALWAYS re-grease and adjust ALL the bearings and every moving part on every bike I get before bolting a motor kit on.
Takes about two hours top to bottom and a palmfull of grease, but time well spent.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The main thing to remember is ANY box store bike, regardless of brand, might not be assembled right or well.
If you take the time to properly lube and adjust everything, the Cranbrooks tend to hold up quite well on motor power, and any bike can benefit from a good going over.
I ALWAYS re-grease and adjust ALL the bearings and every moving part on every bike I get before bolting a motor kit on.
Takes about two hours top to bottom and a palmfull of grease, but time well spent.
Amen Brother.....

I couldn't have put it any better you hit the nail right on the head....

Map
.wee.

rackemblue

Jan 20, 2014
Orange,Tex
I have purchased The Mintcraft Heavy Duty cruiser Bike. It is similar to the Macargi with shorter fenders and twelve Ga. spokes. Got it on sale for $139.00 with free shipping. due to an overstocking of merchandise. Should be here by may 15th. will take and post pics when I complete it.