How to intall gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

gregpeterson119

Dec 28, 2010
San diego
I bought a standard 80cc engine kit online for bikes. I am attempting to put it on a schwinn stingray orange county chopper. The problem is, the .5 gallon gas tank the bike came with, has mounting bolts that are too short to reach all the way to the bottom of the frame I want to mount it on. Therefore, the mounting clamps do not reach the bolts because the frame is too thick. I dont know how to get around this problem any help or adbice on this build is appreciated!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
There's a buncha solutions no doubt - but by far the easiest would prolly be just getting some perforated pipe strapping and making your own, longer "clamps" that reach...

Amazon.com: 3/4" x 10 Ft. Perforated Pipe Strap: Home Improvement

If ya don't wish to have such obvious plumbing supplies visible on yer bike, you can slide a chunk of heat shrink tubing over it & shrink to fit, it looks pretty good that way and grips a lil better too ;)

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I use that rubber electrican's tape on the frame where the clamps fit. The type that is seperated with plastic membrane in the roll. It only sticks to itself.

Keeps the tank in place very well.

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
I took the brackets flipped them upside down and used some self tapping screws and screwed them into the frame... this is by far the best looking way to do it that i have seen...

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
they make bolt caps not sure exactly what they're officially called but basically its like a nut for the bolt, except its a tube with threads on the inside, and a head on the end of it. this could give you the extra length you need to make it work. a local hardware store mite know what you're talking about.

gregpeterson119

Dec 28, 2010
San diego
Wow thanks for the great tips everyone. such great ideas! I just thought, what about some bike inner tube, layered, then 2 holes drilled into that with some sort of metal clamp on the side to keep the pressure; then just slide that over the bolts and screw the nut on. Your guys' ideas sound much better but I thought id throw this out there and see what you guys think

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
honestly not sure how that would work out, the worst that could happen is it doesn't work, give it a try and if it holds up post a picture tutorial in case others run into the same problem in the future.

waynestore67

Nov 5, 2010
missisippi
Go to an Ace Hardware, or a Lowes. Both have a wide range of brackets, and industrohobby products. If you're like me you'll know it whet you see it.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I probably won't be trying the inner tube solution. Will probably find another alternative that might hold up a little bit better.:-||
The rubber {not plastic) electricans tape has worked well for me on 3 builds, .
If the top tube of your bike is curved,. this method will give some clearance to the center of the tank, so that just the front and back of the tank touch the tube

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
I took the brackets flipped them upside down and used some self tapping screws and screwed them into the frame... this is by far the best looking way to do it that i have seen...
I do the same thing but instead of the self tappers i drill a hole in the middle of the bracket in the bend 1/4 inch and plug weld it to the top tube.

spideyman

Aug 29, 2010
ontario
Honestly now because i change my builds so often I now just use two sided tape on the crossbar and zip ties to hold the tank down works great!

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA
Sorry for raising the dead, but I have a hard time picturing what he is talking about here. If you flip the bracket, how is it going to secure the tank? Where exactly would the self-tapping screw go? Trying to figure out a better way to secure the gas tank to the frame without overtorquing the studs.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Sorry for raising the dead, but I have a hard time picturing what he is talking about here. If you flip the bracket, how is it going to secure the tank? Where exactly would the self-tapping screw go? Trying to figure out a better way to secure the gas tank to the frame without overtorquing the studs.
Flip the brackets upside down. After measuring, drill screws thru the bracket and the bike's top tube. Screw the upside down brackets onto the top tube, then drop the tank's studs onto the brackets. If you don't turn the brackets upside-down, the tank will sit too high.

I'm not saying I'd do it, tho.

I used metric extenders to lengthen the studs. Buy them @ any hardware store. Screw extenders onto tank's studs, screw four more studs onto the extenders, then use two flat strips of steel to bolt onto, under the top tube.

It aint the greatest looking. If you have access to a welder, replace the short studs with longer ones.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I used metric extenders to lengthen the studs.
Threaded Standoff's will work, basically they are just just 1"-1.5" long nuts.
Screw one on each tank stud half way, then run 4 new bolts up from the bracket into the other end. You can hold the stand-off nut with a wrench to tighten, and use lock-tight!

As for tank padding I use the scrap from the BMX foam grips I put on all my builds, just 1.5" long cut in half long ways of the grips diameter right where the studs go down. They disappear from view but give you a 3/8th" weatherproof foam cushion.

Or better yet, save the pretty top bar of the Stingray and pitch that butt ugly 1/2 gallon tank and put on a $125 seat mount 2/3 gallon tank like I did on this Caddy so as not to goob up it's pretty top bar.

BlowByU sells a tank for $320+ :confused:
I had Coyote Tanks make mine for $100 delivered, and I used 2 of plates from the pile of 3 hole 'rag-joint' spare plates to hook it to the seat bolts.

My point is you are building a Stingray, a tough job in itself, so think outside the box when it comes to where and how to store the fuel is all ;-}

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA
Flip the brackets upside down. After measuring, drill screws thru the bracket and the bike's top tube. Screw the upside down brackets onto the top tube, then drop the tank's studs onto the brackets. If you don't turn the brackets upside-down, the tank will sit too high.

I'm not saying I'd do it, tho.

I used metric extenders to lengthen the studs. Buy them @ any hardware store. Screw extenders onto tank's studs, screw four more studs onto the extenders, then use two flat strips of steel to bolt onto, under the top tube.

It aint the greatest looking. If you have access to a welder, replace the short studs with longer ones.
So the brackets will not sit on top of the top tube instead of below it? If so, wouldn't the self-tapped screw prematurely contact the bottom of the gas tank?