HOOT GearBox replacement?

GoldenMotor.com

vooodooou

Jul 26, 2009
usa
OOOOPSSSS forgot to tell, I am changing gear box output freewheel from 12 tooth 415 to 9 tooth no freewheel #35 chain and 55 tooth #35 sprocket on rear wheel. gives me 6.11 reduction. gear box mod not worthy the time and effort.

It would have taken a 76 tooth 415 sprocket to get geared down to my needs ( can you say PIZZA size sprocket) no room for it.

Last edited:

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Vodo I have a 81 tooth for the little Honda 55cc trail. They actually came with them it was an overlay sprocket. the one I have is a one piece. Have fun, Dave

Google "Honda C105" and look at the sprocket.

Attachments

vooodooou

Jul 26, 2009
usa
Egor that looks like it would climb a wall. i just got back from a test ride. 18.3:1 gear reduction works for me, still running 30+ mph and and moves out pretty good ( for 50 cc lol) wheres the hills. hummmmm bigger carb mill the head offset key. balance job lol 4 hp 9 speeds lol i weaigh 220 lb so its got a lot of bs to push around.

vooodooou

Jul 26, 2009
usa
Hi Motorbike Mike
i was kinda kidding. but i might look in to it. 6.2:1 compression rate is not the best for power or fuel millage, 12:1 would be best. but not to good with the junk gas we have now days, 8:1 would make a big difference in bottom end power.
(i had a Honda odyssey atv 250cc motor 12:1 compression made 65 hp) was the hardest thing to start (turn over, pull rope) , but would kill you if you got a kickback on the rope starter. but it was fun after it got started.. it would do a wheelie from a standing start

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
The head and cylinder are one piece (w/ half of the bottom end); you could make a higher compression piston though.

Thing is, there are plenty of more powerful motors out of the box. Bicycle frames can't handle much more power. They can handle a bit more power from the 2 strokes cause the power is up high where the torque transfer to the frame isn't as high; 4 strokes are linear in power and apply a lot of torque down low that is transfered to the frame.

Compression doesn't have everything to do w/ mileage or efficiency. Higher compression requires a gas that has a higher flashpoint so you don't get preignition; higher flashpoint (octane) gas, in higher comp. motors, also helps to keep your motor temp. from rising because it burns when lower octane explodes (preignition). If your little motor is designed for low octane gas it'll run best on it. Also that motor is designed to run on anything the world has to throw at it. It's about design too, my Audi wagon had 11:1 compression stock and ran fine (18mpg) on regular or super. One thing is for sure there is an efficiency balance point 'cause high comp. motors do not get better mpg.

Last edited:

vooodooou

Jul 26, 2009
usa
tyrslider i got a 87 Dodge Dakota that i installed a 383 out of a 69 roadrunner. turns 8.00 in the 1/8 mile 20 miles per gallon highway. humm if i cant mill the head, ADDDDDDD NOS lol would that not piss the cops off get out run by a bicycle.lol

update: went on two rides today.

no freewheel took some getting use to, i have engine breaking now. love it.
let off the gas and engine starts dragging down which helps braking, that is needed very much.

This bike has working brake but old side pulls NEW PADS. but need more help.
i guess its time to add disk brakes, where is my welder

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
Ok, I read every post in this thread and since the subject is a replacement for the infamous, poor quality, unreliable Hoot gearbox, no one has posted that Grubee is now making a belt drive gearbox. The video on youtube doesn't show much. Just a guy barely moving down an alley. It's another case of hurry up and wait till the slow boat from China gets here and a few more months go by until we see how it will hold up. Surely it will beat the old gearbox, but we'll eventually find out. The Firebelly gearbox sounds great, but unfortunately, they don't have a website and there are no pics or information about it.
Grubee belt drive:
YouTube - Grubee 4G Gearbox in action

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Ok, I read every post in this thread and since the subject is a replacement for the infamous, poor quality, unreliable Hoot gearbox, no one has posted that Grubee is now making a belt drive gearbox. The video on youtube doesn't show much. Just a guy barely moving down an alley. It's another case of hurry up and wait till the slow boat from China gets here and a few more months go by until we see how it will hold up. Surely it will beat the old gearbox, but we'll eventually find out. The Firebelly gearbox sounds great, but unfortunately, they don't have a website and there are no pics or information about it.
Grubee belt drive:
YouTube - Grubee 4G Gearbox in action

The early reports on the new Grubee belt drive indicate that it is not going to bolt up to the Honda or its clone. The new beltdrive is designed to fit the clone where the left side of the motor is like the Dax Titan. The word is that eventually the beltdrive will be made in a version that will fit the Honda but when it will be available is the big question and also will Birddog be bringing them in to the U.S. The other thing about the new belt drive is the extra width. The 4-strokes with a gearbox are currently pushing 9 in. wide. The new 4-Gen Belt system from grubee appears to be pushing 11-12 in width. Jason from Birddog has a new thread over in the land of OZ showing this new system on a rack mount with some close-up photos were the added width can really be seen clearly.

ocscully

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I Was Thinking About Putting A Split Shaft Coupler On The Freewheel Tranny Shaft, Convert It To A Shift Kit, 4 Stroke In Frame Kit. The Rite Side Bearing Support Would Need To Be Ridged, To Keep The Tranny From Crying!! Lol. Maybe Someone Can Beat Me To It. Picking Up A Nice Bike Tonite For $100., Has The Nexus 7 Speed Hub. Moving, Was Asking $350. But Dropped His Price. I Don`t Know If That Is A Good Hub For Motor Power. Later Dudes, Ron. . .cvlt1

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The early reports on the new Grubee belt drive indicate that it is not going to bolt up to the Honda or its clone. The new beltdrive is designed to fit the clone where the left side of the motor is like the Dax Titan. The word is that eventually the beltdrive will be made in a version that will fit the Honda but when it will be available is the big question and also will Birddog be bringing them in to the U.S. The other thing about the new belt drive is the extra width. The 4-strokes with a gearbox are currently pushing 9 in. wide. The new 4-Gen Belt system from grubee appears to be pushing 11-12 in width. Jason from Birddog has a new thread over in the land of OZ showing this new system on a rack mount with some close-up photos were the added width can really be seen clearly.

ocscully
Once again, thanks ocscully! I had put off a project and now can go ahead. Have gears made for the Grubee but was waiting for the bolt on as their purchasing power would be far more attractive then the cost of specially cut gears. Will post pics of the prototype. I have high hopes for this.

.flg.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I Was Thinking About Putting A Split Shaft Coupler On The Freewheel Tranny Shaft, Convert It To A Shift Kit, 4 Stroke In Frame Kit. The Rite Side Bearing Support Would Need To Be Ridged, To Keep The Tranny From Crying!! Lol. Maybe Someone Can Beat Me To It. Picking Up A Nice Bike Tonite For $100., Has The Nexus 7 Speed Hub. Moving, Was Asking $350. But Dropped His Price. I Don`t Know If That Is A Good Hub For Motor Power. Later Dudes, Ron. . .cvlt1
Sounds awesome Ron. Been working on paper, a BB that is the GB and replaces the the engine drive chain. More like an Ebike chain ring, then a shifting kit but could do that as well.

Post pics of new bike!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
You were missed Ron. Great 2 see you back. We need to get you a laptop b4 next year! (can log on from most hotels, coffee places and even McDonald's now)

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hi Danny Boy, I See You Sent A Pm, But It Is Full. Them Darn Wemen, Won`t Let A Guy Rest . Lol. I Checked In On Friends Pc And Laptops Along The Way. After A While I Got Used To The Mouseless Finger Mode. Ha Ha Am Waiting For A Call To Meet Up Tomorrow For The 7 Sp Nexus. Later Ron.

vooodooou

Jul 26, 2009
usa
Hello
update: first transmission failure. It thrown the chain in the box.
why did it throw the chain? the output shaft is wearing a way in the bearing race.
the chain stretched too. looks like the large gear is wearing too. 210 miles in it.

Attachments