Highwaystar's Whizzer

GoldenMotor.com

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
There is a local gentleman that has a a huge Cushman eagle collection. He also has a complete Whizzer Sportsman that is original and complete, but it is disassembled. He is asking $2500 for the Whizzer. He has some Simplex stuff too. I spent an hour at his shop and couldn't take it all in. It was like an episode of American Pickers!

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
That's a good price for a sportsman. does it have the big drum brake in the rear wheel, auto clutch or manual. 300s or 600s motor?

Ray

GAS+RIDEZ

Mar 31, 2011
Puerto Rico
I finally mount the hi flow muffler that a friend here made me mm? aka Ray, and to my surprise the previous owner had removed the muffler,I thought It had, because had this mounted,before it sounded like mini HARLEY.trk and now sound like cruiserusflgbut I can live with thatbrnot Thanks Ray.

Attachments

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
I am having an issue with my engine. It is sputtering and eventually stalling. I have tried finding posts on here that are similar, but not much luck. From what I have read it would sound like a loose valve seat. I have a Westman head, all of the issues like this I have found are with the stock motor. It has even backfired a couple times. It started a few days ago (I was low on fuel at the time, so I figured that was the problem), I fueled it up and parked it. The next day it ran perfectly. It sat for two days. Today I go to take it for a little cruise and it was acting up really bad. I had other projects that had to be taken care of, so back into the garage it went.

I am looking for any pointers before tearing into the motor. Any suggestions?

Can the Westman head have new seats installed?

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
I changed the oil, yeah I know that's not the problemo, but it was due. I just got back from a short ride at night. The problem is still there, but to a much lesser degree. I am also noticing the headlight will flutter( go dim to bright quickly) a split second before it starts bogging. I am wandering if it could be electrical? The previous owner has hacked the original wiring harness up quite a bit.
Maybe something as simple as a clogged jet?

Both the head gasket and the cylinder gasket appear to be in good shape.

It did die on me once after idling down, but it started back up and ran until I shut it down. Funny thing is, it will only do this while I am riding. I can not get it to do it while not on it. It isn't doing it at take off, but at about 1/4 throttle.

Even with the fear of troubles brewing, it was still a very enjoyable ride tonight. It can't be that bad, it's just nuts and bolts, right?LOL

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
I changed the oil, yeah I know that's not the problemo, but it was due. I just got back from a short ride at night. The problem is still there, but to a much lesser degree. I am also noticing the headlight will flutter( go dim to bright quickly) a split second before it starts bogging. I am wandering if it could be electrical? The previous owner has hacked the original wiring harness up quite a bit.
Maybe something as simple as a clogged jet?

Both the head gasket and the cylinder gasket appear to be in good shape.

It did die on me once after idling down, but it started back up and ran until I shut it down. Funny thing is, it will only do this while I am riding. I can not get it to do it while not on it. It isn't doing it at take off, but at about 1/4 throttle.

Even with the fear of troubles brewing, it was still a very enjoyable ride tonight. It can't be that bad, it's just nuts and bolts, right?LOL
The jug is cast iron, can't be that. clogged jet yes.
make sure all the ground wires are good too.
next would be valve lifters, when you get the time check them, maybe open the crank case just to see if lifters are OK, timing one tooth advance.

be back later today sorry,
Ray

Last edited:

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
I have purchased just about everything I need to handle anything short of a rebuild....But, with Summer in full swing, and my kids not being in school, it is hard to find the time to tear into the bike.

I have also had trouble with my two wheel addiction. I have picked several bikes within the last week. A couple were fore the kids. But one will be getting some face time in another thread. I am going to be doing the BTR Worksman I have been drooling over for the past couple of years! I had wanted to do a WZ Flyer, but that didn't fly.LOL I will go local for the tank and whatever mods need to be done.

Hopefully I can at least get a couple hours for the Whizzer this weekend.

It looks so lonely in the corner.........

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
I have purchased just about everything I need to handle anything short of a rebuild....But, with Summer in full swing, and my kids not being in school, it is hard to find the time to tear into the bike.

I have also had trouble with my two wheel addiction. I have picked several bikes within the last week. A couple were fore the kids. But one will be getting some face time in another thread. I am going to be doing the BTR Worksman I have been drooling over for the past couple of years! I had wanted to do a WZ Flyer, but that didn't fly.LOL I will go local for the tank and whatever mods need to be done.

Hopefully I can at least get a couple hours for the Whizzer this weekend.

It looks so lonely in the corner.........
Thats good you got what you need, that's the hardest part, and yes having the time.

Ray

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
I was able to run the valves today. It is running much,much better. I am going to take it out for a nice cruise shortly.

Ray has been a huge help to me. I can't thank him enough.

Mason Man is the MAN,man!!!!!!

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
I installed a vintage seat and shorter stem to bring the bars down a bit and give the bike a more vintage look.

Next on my "to do" list, I am going to replace the wiring harness. The previous owner(s) have hacked this one up pretty badly. I have a dead short somewhere in my lighting system. It is blowing bulbs and fuses like crazy.

Last edited:

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
Man, what a great Summer! The Whizzer was a champ all year. It is about time to put it up for the winter (except for some random blasts down the road).

This is one of the most vehicles I have ever owned.

Last edited:

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
Here is a pic I took after riding it and putting it up for the winter. The bars are chopped Dyno bars. The seat is also Dyno. I had so much fun with this bike over the summer. I put over a 1000 miles on it this year going nowhere in particular, just cruising!

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
BTW- I would like to thank all of you guys that were kind enough to help me out with advise and parts too.

Mason Man was a HUGE help.

Thank you all!!!!

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Here is a pic I took after riding it and putting it up for the winter. The bars are chopped Dyno bars. The seat is also Dyno. I had so much fun with this bike over the summer. I put over a 1000 miles on it this year going nowhere in particular, just cruising!

Looks good Highwaystar.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
I installed a vintage seat and shorter stem to bring the bars down a bit and give the bike a more vintage look.

Next on my "to do" list, I am going to replace the wiring harness. The previous owner(s) have hacked this one up pretty badly. I have a dead short somewhere in my lighting system. It is blowing bulbs and fuses like crazy.
Highwaystar,

What stem did you use to lower your bars? The new Whizzer has a REALLY long stem, and it has a machined-in lip that prevents it from being fully inserted in the steerer tube. No idea why they did that?

Last edited: