High Performance Wally World Cruiser?

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
never had a bad mag until this particular engine, I know one thing, a bad cdi will fry the mag,
it was running fine with the newest mag, I decided to hook up a cdi I had that was suspect and well..... yep it was bad and it also killed the mag,

I thunk I just had a bad experience since the bad cdi is what killed the first mag, I put a very old and oily mag from a junk engine in it and it lasted a few rides, I put newest one in andit was running fine until I hooked up the same cdi that killed the first mag so I think once I get a new mag in and get it done up good it should be good to go for a long time.
I can't see how a CDI will kill a magneto.
All it can do is short and that's how I kill motors, short the magneto output.

You using 3 wire mags or 2 wire?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I can't see how a CDI will kill a magneto.
All it can do is short and that's how I kill motors, short the magneto output.

You using 3 wire mags or 2 wire?
first two were 3 wire and last one was the newer 2 wire version, the bad cdi is what cooked the last one and I know now is also what got the the first one also, the second one I put on it was a very old oily mess of a mag that was a 2009 model that had seen a lot of run time on a engine that crapped out on me several years ago.

When it failed the first time I swapped out mag and cdi at the same tme, problem solved, then when the old mag failed I just put one of the newer 2 wire mags on it, and it worked great, I got to wondering if maybe the original cdi was still good so I decided to just hook it up and check since I knew I had a nice new 2 wire mag, as soon as I tried to start engine and it did nothing I knew the cdi was bad so I disconnected it and hooked what I knew to be a good one back up, and then it still wouldnt start so I knew that what I did was burn out the new mag by hooking up the bad cdi.

I just got 2 new 2 wire mags in mail today so Monday Ill get one installed and I should be good to go again, I know one thing Im gonna start strapping a bag with tools and a new cdi and mag on my bikes before I head out on longer rides..... peddling all those many miles back home the other day really stunk....!

Last edited:

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
I know what you mean I broke down about 2 miles from home had both baskets full of food and the bike didn't have a derailer so it was stuck in 4 gear not good going up and down hills especially with all those groceries I too carry a mag coil and screwdriver with me

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I know what you mean I broke down about 2 miles from home had both baskets full of food and the bike didn't have a derailer so it was stuck in 4 gear not good going up and down hills especially with all those groceries I too carry a mag coil and screwdriver with me
yep, Im not in terrible shape at almost 48yrs, but where i live is the 3rd or 4th highest elevation in the entire county so for the most part any direction I go leaving my home im going down hill for several miles, on that day I had to pedal home I had cruised to the next small town to pay my water bill, its around 7-8 miles if I remember right from my home, and 8 left out with wind to my back, the couple mile stretch of ma8n highway I road has no shoulder, speed limit is 75, the green thruster fixie has 26" wheels now, a multispeed wheel with a 22T single speed freewheel sprocket so it aint real hard to pedal but up hill against th3 wind probably 2/3rds of the way back made it a real booger....... I had to walk some of it pushing the bike when I got to fatigued to pedal anymore for a while, took a couple rests under big oak trees that hung over the road, got to take a slow ride for sure and right now the Texas wild flowers are thick so the scenery is very nice, things are green and all the flowers and birds and such made it a little better, but I would rather enjoy all of it at 25mph under engine power instead of me power.....lol!

Ill be packed up with needed tools and a cdi and mag coil from now on, im gonna do my best to avoid the long grueling peddling if I can.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The insulation I suspect is so thin on some of these mag windings that any form of a electrical load makes that thin paint vanish in turn shorting out and canceling those once insulated windings?

Have seen generators the ''cheep ones'' eat up their windings too. Ones for 110 A/C etc. Some of it bad metalergy.

I salvaged a guitar amp speaker once. Was just experimenting. The paper cone was logded at the magnet. So I managed to pry the magnet off the back. When I did the paper cone relaxed and set as it should.

Now the funny part I worked in a mechanic shop at the time. I looked at the windings on the back of the paper cone. Paint was worn plumb through on the outer layer. So hosed it joking this must be the one time runs are allowed.

Coated it heavy with high heat enamel spray paint. 20 years later it still works. Have it hooked to a old tube amp and swear by it's character.

upon examing the magnet on it it was uneven from the factory. When I glued it back on..lucky guess?? Had tried to adjust according. It worked!!

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri

Met up with a bud this weekend. Got to ride the bike decently hard and hit 46mph on flat according to my gps on my phone. Pulls hard and consistent. Buddies bike is a budget build and he can almost keep up with me. Pretty impressive! Ha well I sold him all his top end parts so he should be going pretty good with that ported jug and lightened piston and SBP expansion chamber!

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
I'm 51 and I know what you mean if a bike I build doesn't start in a few feet then I'm out of gas!!! I mean ME loll I have COPD and I'm missing 7 discs in my back so if I build a bike in a day then I'm doing really good I also have rumitoid arthritis my hands are soooo bad they lock up and I drop tools all the time its really hard to put the carburetor on with the spring but hey ivdo it cause I LOVE IT!!!! the thrill of getting a bike running and knowing that I built it is well worth the pain besides it keeps me busy and the money isn't bad either LOL

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
I know what you mean i use liquid tape on my mag coils and they work really well I just started doing it one day after one burned out it was not looking go so I did the liquid tape to it a few coats and its still running and that was 2cyears ago and many rain storms later I put a colt on EVERY ONE I do not keeps them from coming back a few months later OOL

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I'm 51 and I know what you mean if a bike I build doesn't start in a few feet then I'm out of gas!!! I mean ME loll I have COPD and I'm missing 7 discs in my back so if I build a bike in a day then I'm doing really good I also have rumitoid arthritis my hands are soooo bad they lock up and I drop tools all the time its really hard to put the carburetor on with the spring but hey ivdo it cause I LOVE IT!!!! the thrill of getting a bike running and knowing that I built it is well worth the pain besides it keeps me busy and the money isn't bad either LOL
I just carry tools to fix what I can and a good lock if I cant. If it don't start after a couple tries, I'm DONE, I lock it up and walk or make a call. But, I gottcha bro, 3 heart attacks, one stroke, COPD, congestive heart failure, osteoarthritis in my hips, shoulders and wrists. I know all about dropping tools, Sometimes I feel like hiring a kid just to pick my tools back up and hand them to me. I spend half my time looking for the tool I just dropped. I've still got the mindset of a 16 year old, just not the body at 60. It's gotta be LOVE of the hobby, That's my only excuse.
fatdaddy.usflg

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
yea I know I'm trying to teach the kid next door to build these but it's like teaching a baby to work a computer LOL I do what I can to keep me active and fit. I bet I've forgot more than most ppl know and that's not a lie I can tear a car apart put it back together build a house ground up fix electronics cook like a pro theres not much I can't do but if I can't ill buy a book and learn I'm not bragging but I have the knowledge of a person with 4 years of collage that was when I was in the 7th grade they moved me to high school that year I skipped 8-9th grades I was hit but a car and was in a body cast for almost 2 yrs I just read anything I could get my hands on including these popular mechanics how to books and the encyclopedia Britannica so I learned a lot those years and still use 70% of it all still so all you young guys start reading everything you can get your hands on and ieep off those mind robbing games and that damn boob tube learn, experiment, and enjoy your lives before you can't do anything but tinker around

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I know what you mean i use liquid tape on my mag coils and they work really well I just started doing it one day after one burned out it was not looking go so I did the liquid tape to it a few coats and its still running and that was 2cyears ago and many rain storms later I put a colt on EVERY ONE I do not keeps them from coming back a few months later OOL
sounds like a good idea, if it works it works... these little engines and the parts need all the help they can get for sure....lol

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I just carry tools to fix what I can and a good lock if I cant. If it don't start after a couple tries, I'm DONE, I lock it up and walk or make a call. But, I gottcha bro, 3 heart attacks, one stroke, COPD, congestive heart failure, osteoarthritis in my hips, shoulders and wrists. I know all about dropping tools, Sometimes I feel like hiring a kid just to pick my tools back up and hand them to me. I spend half my time looking for the tool I just dropped. I've still got the mindset of a 16 year old, just not the body at 60. It's gotta be LOVE of the hobby, That's my only excuse.
fatdaddy.usflg
God Bless ya brother.....

Stories like you just told inspire me, take care of yourself and keep doing these things that you love to do, i have a few aches and pains, but nothing like the battles you've fought and many other on here as well, makes me feel like an idiot that I get ticked off and complain about such small things sometime.......!!!

Im officially humbled Red and all the others on here who push themselves through so many trials and pains to do what they enjoy doing, my big Texas straw hat is off to all of ya'll.

carry on.....

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
yea I know I'm trying to teach the kid next door to build these but it's like teaching a baby to work a computer LOL I do what I can to keep me active and fit. I bet I've forgot more than most ppl know and that's not a lie I can tear a car apart put it back together build a house ground up fix electronics cook like a pro theres not much I can't do but if I can't ill buy a book and learn I'm not bragging but I have the knowledge of a person with 4 years of collage that was when I was in the 7th grade they moved me to high school that year I skipped 8-9th grades I was hit but a car and was in a body cast for almost 2 yrs I just read anything I could get my hands on including these popular mechanics how to books and the encyclopedia Britannica so I learned a lot those years and still use 70% of it all still so all you young guys start reading everything you can get your hands on and ieep off those mind robbing games and that damn boob tube learn, experiment, and enjoy your lives before you can't do anything but tinker around
Amen.........!

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
I know this generation is about now not ill build it or ill go to the store and buy one these actually make you think. you build the bike and then you add gas then you pedal and hope it starts and everything is ok but then you have to adjust everything and then you want to improve so you try this and that and then you have either a great bike or your buying a cylinder or piston but you learn and that's what keeps me doing this and it will really help you out in the long run by keeping your mind working that's the best thing in the whole world

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I know this generation is about now not ill build it or ill go to the store and buy one these actually make you think. you build the bike and then you add gas then you pedal and hope it starts and everything is ok but then you have to adjust everything and then you want to improve so you try this and that and then you have either a great bike or your buying a cylinder or piston but you learn and that's what keeps me doing this and it will really help you out in the long run by keeping your mind working that's the best thing in the whole world
I was raised by my late Granddad Fox ad my Dad to be a fixer not a parts changer when possible.

A mind is a prime candidate for the saying (" If you dont use it, you'll loose it ")

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Not much has happened on this build still wanting to do some reeds, but saving up for a new 2014 Ford Fusion EcoBoost down payment ha! Going to treat myself to something nice. As for the bike it's going to get re-worked paint job wise. Going to go paintless with clear coat and see how she looks!