High performance spark plug

GoldenMotor.com

showcaller

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
I just bought the BRP6HIX spark plug and wire for a 49 CC RAW on a 26" cruiser. Can anyone tell me how many more mph I might expect by just adding this plug?

thanks

Showcaller

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
No matter what plug you use gaping it right and checking it reg. Is the best route to performance (in my humble opnion) .not so sure all the hype over super plugs is warrented, i run ngk's b 6 or 7 hot short and fiddle with gap per bike .

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
If you get the NGK Iridium plug do not try and gap the plug. Iridium is brittle and will snap off, ruining a plug that cost me $15 shipped from NGK America. They come pregapped to .031 and are good to go right from the box.

I don't think you pick up much power at all, what you get is dependability. You can pretty much trust an NGK plug not to fail(but I still carry a spare ;) )

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
hi, just seen this thread, yesterday i was messing around on youtube, and came across a spark plug called powerstar it has an 8 pointed mushroom, over the usual spark thingy. all 8 spark. awsome. never seen anything like it. not sure if we can get them in our size though, they say more miles per gal. and smoother better performance. I wish they were available years ago when i had a yacht, the spark plugs kept getting lead across the point and cutting the engine out.

Would have difficulty shorting out 8 points on the plug,WHAT!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
using more (or less) crush rings is just like using a longer (or shorter) plug.

in theory, a longer plug takes up more volume, so it increases compression.

probably not enough to make any noticeable difference.

a better spark plug will obviously give you a better spark, and again, in theory, will increase HP, mileage, start-ability, etc...

but, again, probably not enough that you'd actually notice.

it will, however, increase the reliabiity of your engine. there are a few people who love the stock plug, but the majority hate it. personally, it's not even a good plug to break car windows with, in my opinion. (LiveLeak.com - MythBusters - Spark Plug Ceramic Versus Car Window)

upgrading the entire set-up with an NGK plug, 7mm copper-core plug wire, and soldering all wiring connections is the best way to go. it won't magically give you a 10HP boost and increase your gas mileage by 50% or anything, but, if you're engine was runing poorly before, it might kick out any gremlins that were messing with the electrics.

and that would give you the illusion of a power increase, but actually, it's just making it run the way it's supposed to.

in my personal experience with all things motored, i like a basic NGK plug over anything else. all those fancy, tri-tipped, split electrode, exotic material plugs are just more expensive, and i've never seen any outside data showing they do anything more than lighten your wallet.

in some cases, like with the tips breaking off splitfire plugs and destroying engines, it can do a lot more harm than good.

i run an NGK BH6S or a BH7S in all my bikes, gapped at .030.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
hi, just seen this thread, yesterday i was messing around on youtube, and came across a spark plug called powerstar it has an 8 pointed mushroom, over the usual spark thingy. all 8 spark. awsome. never seen anything like it. not sure if we can get them in our size though, they say more miles per gal. and smoother better performance. I wish they were available years ago when i had a yacht, the spark plugs kept getting lead across the point and cutting the engine out.

Would have difficulty shorting out 8 points on the plug,WHAT!
Even if the plug had a thousand points,
Just shorting out ONE point and the plug would be rendered useless.

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
hi all. my father had a garage, and he swore by N.G.K. plugs. would not tollerate champion. they where a load of trouble. i proved that on my yacht engine. and yes there is a point about that power star plug having the mushroom top breaking off, i had not thought of that.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
i ran a BP7HS (the longer one) in one of my bikes and it ran worse.
Well, when you consider that the stock plug is in the "4" range of heat going to a "7" is a lot colder plug. With a B7 you need a higher compression than stock. It's a good range if you've sanded the head for more compression, about 8-9:1 ratio.

Honestly the BP5HS might be the best plug for a completely stock motor. The heat range should burn off most of the deposits from the too-rich fuel the manufacturers advise without getting it so hot it pings.

DanielMaia

Jun 24, 2009
Portugal
My bike runs a lot more smooth with the NGK Iridium BPR6HIX. The sound at high rpm is slightly different, and it works very fine!