Help - Crank Clearance Problem

GoldenMotor.com

59Cruiser

Aug 11, 2011
Mi
Cranks turned out great! I ended up using the original cranks and sprocket and I am glad I did. Having the bent cranks adds to the look and custom feel! Here are some Hi-Res Pics.

Cranks

here is the bike Before:

and now after:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
While it's not the solution to this problem, I thought I should throw in that to get the 1/32" or so I needed on a crank I went at the back of it with a grinding stone in the chuck of my drill. It took a while, but it did the job.

59Cruiser

Aug 11, 2011
Mi
While it's not the solution to this problem, I thought I should throw in that to get the 1/32" or so I needed on a crank I went at the back of it with a grinding stone in the chuck of my drill. It took a while, but it did the job.
Well heck, if it works, it works ... good tip! With mine it seemed like I need quite a bit of extra clearance. I was fortunate enough to be able to bring these into my shop at work and had one of our skilled trades machine builders help me out with them. Otherwise, I would of been buying new ones.

He heated them up with a torch until they were compeltely red hot to bend. Then sanded them to get them shiny again.

59Cruiser

Aug 11, 2011
Mi
Thanks mapbike, couldn't of done it without this site and help from members like you. It was fun and rewarding. Not sure if you noticed the front mount or not. I was a little if'y on the concept but its very solid and holding up great so far.

The only glitch I came across is that I should of bent the muffler just a bit more before I tried cranking down the bolts. It's not completely seated tightly on the gasket. When I tried to tighten it up I think I stripped out one of the studs. For now, leaving it alone. It sounds fine and the only draw back is a bit of oil sputter. Anyway, I wipe down the engine and frame after every ride before I put it away.

Here is one more picture:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Great looking bike! Don't try bending the muffler on the headstuds..take it off. (you sound like you would already know this but I just wanted to be sure...)

59Cruiser

Aug 11, 2011
Mi
Thanks, I sort of found out the hard way already. I replaced all the hardware on the kit before building. Everything except the muffler studs ;(

Its on my list to do in the spring. I also changed my front mount. The bolts came lose after a month or so of riding. I ended up making a custom bracket and though it don't look as nice as it did before its rock solid.