Heard a pop, now it doesn't work

GoldenMotor.com

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
On my personal bikes I have 2 pk80 engines, both have over 6000kms on each of them, 1 the clip holding the the piston pin went and it snaped a ring, the second just broke. No failure rate involved! Things happen. I do not sell PK's as I do not find them as quick as the ones I sell. Anyway I thought this was to help amy's problem? It for sure is not back firing as that is a pretty easy sound to determine, as is the sound and the way he discribes his problem, check your rings, best case it's not them, worst case, i'm right. Wouldn't that suck?
Thanks

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
O.K. Mr. Touchy...not a "failure rate" just that two in two weeks is a.....coincidence.

Funny that you don't ride what you sell, and the two failures claimed are with engines you don't.

Another coincidence?

Last edited:

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
None of my business but you could have just as easily shared your explanation without listing your illustrious pedigree. This forum is full of 14 yo kids with little or no experience and yet everyone gets so defensive when obvious things are pointed out in their posts. Why don't people simply answer questions and peacefully fill in the blanks in their stories instead of feeling cut down - with the goal of clearing it up rather than firing back? I would find that ironic too - once you explained it, it clears it up. No need to be all defensive and start rattling off your vast experience.
Besides, building these from a preexisting bicycle isn't very high tech so bragging rights can go only so far.

Amy. Any more data?

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Well IMO if the motor skips firing then you have extra fuel in there making a pop sound (we used to do this on purpose in a mustang back in the 70's would sound like a cannon goin off...just turn the key off a second then back on and BANK). If she still has no fire I'd look hard at the wiring and cdi unit. The wires would be highest on my list as they tend to vibrate loose that's why I soldered mine.

amyvomit

Sep 25, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
it's been raining so i havent gotten the chance to try it yet...i'll post as soon as i try all these wonderful ideas.

can i be riding the bike while trying to check for spark? i cant figure out how to pedal it if i'm not riding it......might be a dumb question

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
If ya pull the plug the compression will be so low you'll prolly be able to push the bike and have it turn over.

Careful tho - be sure to hold it by the boot, it can bite a bit ;)

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
ah dont worry about the bite. as a carreer mechanic, this is the proper way to check for good wires. because you simply know if they are good! a blind mechanic will drop a sparking plug wire! lmfao

honestly, call me f'ed up or whatnot, but i really do just hang on and giver. i know quick enough to go on to the next steps lol

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
ah dont worry about the bite. as a carreer mechanic, this is the proper way to check for good wires. because you simply know if they are good! a blind mechanic will drop a sparking plug wire! lmfao

honestly, call me f'ed up or whatnot, but i really do just hang on and giver. i know quick enough to go on to the next steps lol
yep, ive done that before, but let me tell you from experience, it may feel ok on a little engine like this, but on a large gasoline van the pain is 10x worse, i couldnt move my arm for a week!

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
another way to check via my method is to get a buddy close and near touch him on the bare forearm.. shouldnt hurt you a bit ) lol

amyvomit

Sep 25, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
ok, so i tried what you all said and i saw no spark coming from the plug. also, my wire "boot" thing is now in 2 parts. the rubber part has completely detatched itself from the other part but they're both still there. is that bad? do i need a new cable?

also, the spark plug itself doesnt really look like it would be bad. i mean, it doesnt look much different than it did when i put it in. what should or shouldnt it look like??

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I have heard the wire screws into the solid black box haven't tried but yea if it came loose and won't reatatch they need to send ya another if in warranty or buy one if not plug wire gotta be attatched.