Harbor Freight Greyhound 79cc engine

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Mark my words Denali, in a few short months you'll be fabing,planing designing. Is an amazing confidence builder. Messing up is not an option, it is inevitable, lol.

Ya gotta be up and running by the end of May. We host a MB rally thing in CT. A few folks from PA are coming.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Am Happy With My "bikemotorparts.com" Friction Drive Kit. The Harbor Freight 52cc Will Bolt Right On. My 49cc With 1 1/4" Roller Did 35 Mph With 185 Lb Rider On 26" Bike. You Could Go To Larger Roller For Better Fuel Mileage. I Like "jb1970ny" (look At His Vids On You Tube.) The Best Kit. More Versatile. Ron

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ron, Yes!! 2funny. Your gonna laugh at me but wrote ya back then confused your email addy with Rays. (Been a ruff few weeks)

The only way that bear would have known which way I ran was the oddly colored trail left behind in the snow...

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Elmo, Yeah, Thanks For Sending It To Me, Great Laugh. I Sent To About 20 People. How Is The Hf Eng Build Coming? Dan And A Friend Have A Tranny About Ready For The Hf 79cc Or What Ever Size You Guys Are Playing With. Its A Cogged Belt With Motor Clutch. It Looks Good. Ron

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Elmo, mine either (but that was a big ol' bear too)

Yeppers Ron, it is the 79cc. Really like how funky it looks striped down.

Some early shots of the kit/tranny. Tyerslider is an artiest.

Last edited:

denali

Dec 18, 2009
Pa.
Ok, sounds good on the water pump engine, where do u get the centrifigal cluth for it. Which vendor has a twist grip throttle. Dont like the lever type. Haveing read all these diff posts and adds it seems like all the friction drive kits are pretty much basically the same. I have all the hand tools for assembelybut not the where with all for fabricating parts How loud is that engine? I would actually prefer a 4 stroke only becaues they are quieter. Dont want to sound like a chain saw going down the street. Thanks for all the good tips. Pat

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Hey Felton,

It is, as previously stated, a Max Torque clutch and it engages at 1450. We'll likely want it to engage at around 1000 rpm but we can adjust it down to where we want it once it's up and running! Thanks, Evan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Jay, I missed the question, my bad. Will find em an post. (is a few shots of an "OhSheeet" moment, lol)

Hi Everyone,

EZM & EZM authorized dealers have tested the Q-Matic on a variety of 4-stroke motors including the Harbor Freight 79 CC power plant. Over the last 2 years we took the time to design & test the Q-Matic to fit not only the hi revving Honda GHX50 & HS 142 motors, but also the bigger displacement lower revving motors. In order to make the drive fit more motors it was necessary to engineer several features in the Q-Matic that other companies failed to consider.

The Q-Matic uses the “live axle” system to buffer the vibration of the automatic clutch, and remove the excessive weight from the crankshaft. Everyone knows [maybe not] that the centrifugal clutch, by fact of design of moving weights & springs can vibrate. When the clutch is mounted on the motor crankshaft it adds additional “flywheel” effect. The Q-Matic has the clutch suspended between 2 LARGE bearings on a 5/8” shaft to reduce vibration, slim the drive to approx. 2” from the motor, and buffer the vibrations and “flywheel” effect via a V-belt. Another important consideration was motor performance, and our goal was to avoid reducing the already limited available HP. When extra weight is added to the crankshaft the motor revs slower, and when weight is taken from the crankshaft the motor revs quicker.

The Q-Matic totally disengages the rear chain when idling, and only the clutch bell rotates [on a oil impregnated bushing]. When the motor is above idle the system offers “motor braking” to aid the stopping process and saves wear & tear on the brakes over time. Just remember only the small bell turns with the wheel, not the entire set of pulleys, belt, shaft, bearings, etc, allowing, “free wheeling” at idle.

Because the Max Torque clutch requires occasional lubrication [a few drops of oil], we made easy access to the lubrication point.

Another design advantage of the Q-Matic is located in the idler system. Everyone knows [maybe not everyone] that belt stretch requires idler adjustments to compensate. The Q-Matic uses a spring tension system that automatically adjusts for belt stretch. The idler assembly is also mounted on 2 high-speed bearings to reduce belt wear and drag.

Because of the variety of 4 stroke motors, we designed the Q-Matic to be ratio adjustable at 4 locations instead of only the chain sprockets. The Q-Matic can be ratio tuned to work with motors that idle at 800 RPMs, as well as motors that idle at 2200RPMs.

The first ratio can be altered at the motor with optional EZM pulleys and can change the clutch stall speed and the ratio of the primary drive [from 3.5 X 1 to 2.3 X 1]. The primary changes [easy to do, and normally cost under $20] are easily executed, clean, and quick, whereas rear chain sprockets often require the major task of rear wheel removal. Of course changing the rear chain ratios adds even more possibilities to the Q-Matic drive.

During the original testing we discovered the need to enclose the drive system for safety reasons [it was possible to stop the motorbike when inserting the left pant leg into the drive system]. The “pant leg” test lead to a cover that was light weight, oil & gas resistant, and more importantly entirely covered the moving primary parts. The durable cover will soon be mass-produced and may improve in appearance during the process [rumor has it will contain our logo].

Although a lot of time, money, and thousands of hours of testing were invested in the Q-Matic, one important issue still needs “honorable mention”, weight. After serious consideration concerning cost, we elected to use “high tech” aluminum alloys in the construction process to reduce weight.

Enjoy the pictures of the Q-Matic..

Have fun,

Attachments

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
KilroyCD: I noticed that you wrapped the exhaust with exhaust wrap. Did that help with the heat problem from the exhaust being where it is? With my exhaust wrapped, I feel that it helped keep the temp lower so it does not bother my leg like it did before.

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
KilroyCD: I noticed that you wrapped the exhaust with exhaust wrap. Did that help with the heat problem from the exhaust being where it is? With my exhaust wrapped, I feel that it helped keep the temp lower so it does not bother my leg like it did before.
Oh yeah, that's exactly why we did that. Being that the pipe rides so close to the seat, it could be a real inside-of-leg burner before that wrap was on. Now, if you accidentally come in contact with the flex pipe you don't immediately get cooked.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
KilRoy, Are you running the engine/oil switch or did you bypass it? Stock carb? Also were you guessing on the 4500 rpm or did ya check? Thanks, Evan

Attachments