Grubee Skyhawk

GoldenMotor.com

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I ran into a couple of fellow mber's the other day and both had a grubee skyhawk 2 stroke motor and the one thing on both of them that I saw is ,they both had a bicycle size chain on the motor drive instead of the #41 chain ( whatever china puts in the kits). I had asked each one if it came like that in the kit and both said "yes" I on the other hand have recieved the heavier chain and eventually went to the #41 chain! I suppose it would work , but I would be hesitant to use it. what do you think about this deal? or do you run the bicycle size chain off the motor? and do you have any problems with them?

flying squirrel

Aug 1, 2009
Shawnee Oklahoma
my 2 cents. I have a SBP shifter kit On a china girl 48cc engine and it runs a bike chain. It has over 1000 miles now with no chain problems. one sproket is showing some wear. also 1 weigh 200 lbs..wee.

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
I just received a Skyhawk 66 from Bikeberry the same way. The ad said 415 chain but it came with a bike chain and thinner motor sprocket. I called and they said the kits have changed. They have now updated the website. I know another member that ordered the same kit from Gasbike 3 weeks ago- his kit came with a bike chain as well.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
if the kits have changed to some degree and there using the smaller chain can you still upgrade to the #41 chain or is there enough room?

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
The amount of room at the drive gear did not change. The drive sprocket is thinner but you can still run a 41(5) chain.
I have to admit, at first I was skeptical about the bike chain but not I am liking it. 1) It's easier to remove and adjust links. 2)Better availability/less expensive 3) Seems to be less drag and noise when peddling. 4) If it jumps the rear sprocket, it wont bind up the rear wheel on the frame. This is obviously conditional to my build but I had to replace the motor last time because the 415 chain jumped, locked the wheel and totally ripped out both mounting studs.
The chain has stretched a fair amount in 30 miles but I can easily break the chain with my standard muti tool. I'll probably need to pull a link in another 30. The SBP shift kit runs the power through a bike chain and hasn't seemed to be an issue for them. I'll run with it for awhile.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
As a owner of a few 66cc engines(not skyhawk with the bicyle chain) I have to say,they dont have enough power to need anything bigger than a bicyle chain....I would like to switch to the smaller chain,less drag,less weight and easier im sure to pedel with the clutch pulled in,and probley less noise....
John.wee.

Bikedad1

May 12, 2009
East Wenatchee, Wa
I have been thinking this the whole time I have had my ht! That 415 chain it overkill.....it causes to much drag, robbing power and this is quickly apparent when you start pedaling with that 415 chain! I am using Manic Mechanics sprocket adapter and I am currently trying to figure out how to get a bmx sprocket on that thing.

.sno.

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
I ran into a couple of fellow mber's the other day and both had a grubee skyhawk 2 stroke motor and the one thing on both of them that I saw is ,they both had a bicycle size chain on the motor drive instead of the #41 chain ( whatever china puts in the kits). I had asked each one if it came like that in the kit and both said "yes" I on the other hand have recieved the heavier chain and eventually went to the #41 chain! I suppose it would work , but I would be hesitant to use it. what do you think about this deal? or do you run the bicycle size chain off the motor? and do you have any problems with them?
I recently got a kit from gasbike.net and at first I put the large 415 chain from a previous kit I bought long ago. Didn't even take the new chain out of the bag until much later and noticed it was smaller and lighter but it still seems to fit on the sprockets correctly. Are they going to change the rear sprocket sent out in kits or just change to bicycle chain and keep the same sprocket? The new chain I got with this last kit looks more like #35 chain that is used a lot on mini bikes and karts.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I recently got a kit from gasbike.net and at first I put the large 415 chain from a previous kit I bought long ago. Didn't even take the new chain out of the bag until much later and noticed it was smaller and lighter but it still seems to fit on the sprockets correctly. Are they going to change the rear sprocket sent out in kits or just change to bicycle chain and keep the same sprocket? The new chain I got with this last kit looks more like #35 chain that is used a lot on mini bikes and karts.
So are you saying the chain that comes with the Skyhawk engine with fit a standard 44tooth sprocket or would I have to change to a thinner back sprocket if I bought one of there kits????I just put a new sprocket on my bike a couple months ago and want to order a skyhawk or a Raw engine,it would be nice if I bought the skyhawk and not have to change my back 44 tooth sprocket out to use the smaller chain....
John-John

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
The rear sprocket will be fine and are the same size. On my first kit with 415 chain, the front engine sprocket was thicker (wider). From reading, it is my understanding that only larger chains 415/410 will work on this engine sprocket.

Second kit came with bike chain and thinner (narrower) engine sprocket. As I understand, both the bike chain and larger 415/410 chains cna be used on this sprocket but I have no first had experience.

The thin bike chain fits fine and works well on the same rear sprocket that I previously used for the 415 chain.

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
I tried the no tensioner thing for a bit. Then the chain stretched and jumped and got stuck. It's not quite long enough to remove another link yet so I put the tensioner on for awhile.

Just be careful and watch the chain. The day before mine jumped and locked up I was think I should do something about it but brushed it off since it seemed to be working fine. Luckily I didn't go down.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
The rear sprocket will be fine and are the same size. On my first kit with 415 chain, the front engine sprocket was thicker (wider). From reading, it is my understanding that only larger chains 415/410 will work on this engine sprocket.

Second kit came with bike chain and thinner (narrower) engine sprocket. As I understand, both the bike chain and larger 415/410 chains cna be used on this sprocket but I have no first had experience.

The thin bike chain fits fine and works well on the same rear sprocket that I previously used for the 415 chain.
Thanks,that will help me with my decision on my next engine kit(being that I have 4 extra back sprockets laying around from kits I have bought over the years)....

markeatmark

Jun 17, 2009
jacksonville NC
my first kit came with the big chain and it had a lot of side to side movement. it left score marks on the block. from rubbing inside the drive gear housing. now i have the new kit with the small chain. it fit better and runs better. i like the small chain.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
How good are these Grubee skyhawk GT5 engines?They seem to be the only company that you can count on that came from one plant...Everyother distribitor comes up with there own name or something else....I was wondering about the Raw engine and if it is a quality kit and if it comes from just one plant....
John-John

markeatmark

Jun 17, 2009
jacksonville NC
from all I've herd, the good and bad . all the different kits . it seems like a crap shoot. no matter what kit you get. this is a do it your self hobby. most people are very happy. the kits are cheap enough. buy one and enjoy. its worth it in the end.