Frames

GoldenMotor.com

Jurney

Jul 30, 2019
Looking at older bikes 50's 60's early 70's what would you consider a well built frame?
The first bike I built was a Columbia 1960's beach cruiser with a 66cc motor.give or take a few on the year. after about 60 miles on it I noticed the frame starting to crack. the crack is on the tube were the kick stand is and the tubes that go to rear wheel. sorry I don't know all of the terminology. it also looks like instead of welding the tubes they may have been brazed. is this common?

So I would like to find a older bike that the welds are strong.

Reactions: indian22

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Murrays from the 1970s, 80s, 90s are plenty strong and they dont cost a lot because they are not really collectible. They were also branded as Sears, Montgomery Wards, Hiawatha, etc.

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Looking at older bikes 50's 60's early 70's what would you consider a well built frame?
The first bike I built was a Columbia 1960's beach cruiser with a 66cc motor.give or take a few on the year. after about 60 miles on it I noticed the frame starting to crack. the crack is on the tube were the kick stand is and the tubes that go to rear wheel. sorry I don't know all of the terminology. it also looks like instead of welding the tubes they may have been brazed. is this common?

So I would like to find a older bike that the welds are strong.
Yes brazing was the common method employed on bikes for many decades. Quite strong when properly designed with tube lugs & executed.

Rick C.