Florida law - registration required!!!

GoldenMotor.com

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Can I or Can't ride legally
Hey Bear,

I like your "cut to the chase" question!

Answers IMHO:

Gas MB - MAYBE!!!

"...The agent should also direct the customer to law enforcement if there are any questions as to where the motorized bicycle can be used."

(ask local law enforcement, if yes, try to get an answer in writing, maybe email form and carry the document with you when riding.)

Electric MB - YES!

FYI:
There is a few Gas MB riders who as we speak are going through their local legal channels in the House of Reps trying to get the laws wording updated SPECIFICALLY to include that Gas MB's are legal to ride on public roads.

:)

IamTheBear

Oct 6, 2010
north florida
I'm thinking as opposed to a few it would be more worthwhile to compile a formal letter outlining concerns of MB'ers, Citing which laws that are in question, offer favorable guidelines to for the change of said laws, and a list of minimal safety requirements and checks for our bikes. Then to make this available to the communities on all sites not just this one, to allow people to print sign and mail off to state and local gov't. this would allow everyone to be on the same page with regards to the laws and not have it change from county to county.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
SALTY GATOR: When you were given the citation, were you riding in a bike lane or on the road itself? A suggestion, next time your in court don't make any smart a$$ed remarks. LOL Judges don't seem to have a sense of humor. They get that in judge school I think!

Terry
May 29th......I was in the bike lane ....( which I may add is properly marked as such ...you know those diamond markings ? ) .....apparently in Florida...as soon as you add a gas motor it automatically becomes a moped....The cop told me I should have been on the sidewalk....but as we all know .....motor vehicles are not allowed on sidewalks...not even electric .....not even a motorized skateboard.....I'm just tired of this bullsh*t ....I'm afraid to build me a new bike .....and might I add....I couldn't help myself ....pertaining to the smarta** remark to the judge....she had to weigh well over 300 pounds .....she couldn't ride a bike to save her life ....

Salty.shft.

Last edited:

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
What did she actually say?!?!? (besides, "these laws are in place for a reason"). What laws? What did you use as a defense and what did she disagree with. More specifics please.
I went to the DMV office here in Gainesville....after waiting almost an hour for these people to get their sh*t together ....they came back with this .. " Needed original bicycle purchase receipt ...original motor kit receipt ....then an inspection by an approved motor vehicle inspector ...( the closest one is down in Ocala ....some 40 miles away ) ....that in itself will cost me $45.00.....and if it fails inspection ....the next one will cost $30.00......What I used in defense was this ... " Gas costs almost 4 bucks a pop for a gallon....my bike gets 100 mpg ....my car gets 25 ....to me it's stupid to get in your car to drive a mile to the store ....get on your bike ....strap a backpack on ...and it's more fun anyway.....you're going to get there just as fast as not even faster ...reducing your carbon footprint ...reducing global warming ....( yeah, I'm an informed smarta** ) .....The judge didn't offer her opinion one way or another ....she barely spoke three sentences ....*****n' c*nt !

Salty.shft.

Last edited:

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
I went to the DMV office here in Gainesville....after waiting almost an hour for these people to get their sh*t together ....they came back with this .. " Needed original bicycle purchase receipt ...original motor kit receipt ....then an inspection by an approved motor vehicle inspector ...( the closest one is down in Ocala ....some 40 miles away ) ....that in itself will cost me $45.00.....and if it fails inspection ....the next one will cost $30.00......What I used in defense was this ... " Gas costs almost 4 bucks a pop for a gallon....my bike gets 100 mpg ....my car gets 25 ....to me it's stupid to get in your car to drive a mile to the store ....get on your bike ....strap a backpack on ...and it's more fun anyway.....you're going to get there just as fast as not even faster ...reducing your carbon footprint ...reducing global warming ....( yeah, I'm an informed smarta** ) .....The judge didn't offer her opinion one way or another ....she barely spoke three sentences ....*****n' c*nt !

Salty.shft.
It's not just motor bicycles !

Bicycles in general get trashed alot !

League of American Bicyclists * Trash Talk

http://blogs.roanoke.com/dancasey/2...c-cantor-and-rush-limbaugh-two-peas-in-a-pod/

Start talking that carbon footprint ...reducing global warming talk and see where that will get you ! :)

Last edited:

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
You only have to have a license for under 50cc, and if 50cc or over than you need a license and registration/plates. So if you have a 48cc or 49cc you don't need registration, isn't this correct cause thats what i found online.
Perhaps in New York ....but not down here in Florida .....This reminds me of being in High School....world History ....shades of Nazi Germany .....

Salty.shft.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
i am pleased to tell everyone that i have personally talked with the head office in Talahassee. We were able to come to an agreement that the gas powered motorized bicycle combination is now and will be for ever in the state of Florida remain a bicycle. The change happened April 20, 2011. Be free to ride with no registration and with no license. Goto my home page for the link. Home
Have a great day.
Thanks ......but here in Gainesville it apparently doesn't apply ....see my posts .....

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Thanks ......but here in Gainesville it apparently doesn't apply ....see my posts .....

Thanks,
Salty.shft.
It may be up to local ordinances now. I know in New Hampshire The state law on motor bikes is that they are treated as bikes. That being said there maybe local ordinances that treat bikes differently. For example, some towns require bikes to be registered. Of course no one really enforces this because how are you gonna sleep at night after ticketing a 9 year old for riding around the block. But you may see enforcement/enactment of some of these ordinances if /when motor bikes become popular and/or because of nuisance riders.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
I'm still waiting for ANYONE to show us a gas powered bicycle being legal for road use, IN WRITING!

It seems that the people who sell gas motors for bikes ALWAYS say they've talked to this person or that person in the govt/dmv said they are legal...
But when asked to provide actual documentation stating as such, we never hear from them again, nor do we get to see this documentation, that's "coming soon".

Now if you happen to have a conversation with local/county law enforcement and they do say you can ride without reg or license, have them give you a document saying that.. Simple. Easy.
If you get something like that post it for all of us to see (and use)!!!

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I'm still waiting for ANYONE to show us a gas powered bicycle being legal for road use, IN WRITING!

It seems that the people who sell gas motors for bikes ALWAYS say they've talked to this person or that person in the govt/dmv said they are legal...
But when asked to provide actual documentation stating as such, we never hear from them again, nor do we get to see this documentation, that's "coming soon".

Now if you happen to have a conversation with local/county law enforcement and they do say you can ride without reg or license, have them give you a document saying that.. Simple. Easy.
If you get something like that post it for all of us to see (and use)!!!
Hey Sang and All,

I was about to tell you that Jeff A. will be sharing some AWESOME news with the me on FL Law, Registration, DL, and DOT.

I am asking that he post this info. (FBO of me/ us/ the MB Community), including questions that which he hopes should be answered early next week.

Sang Quote from another thread:

"Yeah well he keeps showing us the statutes from the "registration" section..

If you look in the drivers license section, you'll see that it shows you DO NEED A DL..

It's people like Arnet (who by the way, just wants to sell you his gas kits) that prey on the uninformed."

Sang,

a. It's people like Arnet (who by the way, just wants to sell you his gas kits)

- No, he just doesnt want to "sell kits".
- I think he specializes in complete gas MB's, and may be selling electric too.

b. "Prey on the uninformed?"
- What are you talking about? He is trying to INFORM the MB Community!

IMHO you dont understand what he is trying/ has accomplished/ has discovered.

I dont know why you you have taken your stance the way you have with Jeff A.

The info may even HELP non licensed MB drivers who lost their license due to drunk driving, vehicular manslaughter.

I dont know weather you fall into this category, but from what I recall, you dont have your DL as well.

I'm looking forward to the good news.

Ride that thing!

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Hey Sang and All,

I was about to tell you that Jeff A. will be sharing some AWESOME news with the me on FL Law, Registration, DL, and DOT.

I am asking that he post this info. (FBO of me/ us/ the MB Community), including questions that which he hopes should be answered early next week.

Sang Quote from another thread:

"Yeah well he keeps showing us the statutes from the "registration" section..

If you look in the drivers license section, you'll see that it shows you DO NEED A DL..

It's people like Arnet (who by the way, just wants to sell you his gas kits) that prey on the uninformed."

Sang,

a. It's people like Arnet (who by the way, just wants to sell you his gas kits)

- No, he just doesnt want to "sell kits".
- I think he specializes in complete gas MB's, and may be selling electric too.

b. "Prey on the uninformed?"
- What are you talking about? He is trying to INFORM the MB Community!

IMHO you dont understand what he is trying/ has accomplished/ has discovered.

I dont know why you you have taken your stance the way you have with Jeff A.

The info may even HELP non licensed MB drivers who lost their license due to drunk driving, vehicular manslaughter.

I dont know weather you fall into this category, but from what I recall, you dont have your DL as well.

I'm looking forward to the good news.

Ride that thing!

I've been asking FOREVER for documentation to the contrary to what I've already shown/posted from the DMV...

EVERY TIME someone says they have something, WE NEVER see it.
There's a lot of conjecture/anecdotes/hints/rumors/etc. but never any real obvious specific proof.

I would LOVE to be able to put a gas motor on my bike, but until I personally have the ability to produce an official document to law enforcement stating I'm allowed to, it's just not worth the trouble/chance.

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
I've already posted in another thread, a signed, official document on letterhead from the DMV CLEARLY stating that has powered bikes will NOT be registered, can NOT be registered legally, and are NOT ALLOWED on public roads..

I don't understand why everyone is discussing conjecture and theory, when it's been plainly shown they are illegal to use on public roads.
Whether you have a license or not.

Here it is AGAIN for all to see..

If anyone can produce a document to the contrary, I would appreciate it very much..
Unless a document that states you may use a gas powered bike on public roads, that's all I got.