(FLOODING) NT carbs I have stink....!

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I can not at this time get either of the new NT carbs I have to run without the fuel bowl over filling and flooding down my engine, as long as I just let enough fuel into the carb to fill the bowl and then turn the shut off vavle on tank to off the engine runs great, but let the valve stay on and it will flood.

I have taken needle and seat out spun the needle in the seat with slight pressure to try to get a good mated surface between the 2 I reset the float level to a very low position so that the fuel level in the bowl is at the bare minimum, the float in both carbs is sealed well and do not take on fuel, but it seems that as the engine runs and vibrates as it does, the float is overcome by the vibration to the point that it bounces off of the needle lever and allows unwanted extra fuel to enter the bowl, this is the only conclusion I can come up with as to why this issue is happening. I have never had this problem with any other carb. before. tomorrow I will add an extention of rubber hose out from the intake about 2" and then connect it to the carb using a piece of copper tubing or something of the sort and see if eliminating some of the vibration at the carb will allow the needle to work as it should. I will post the results as soon as I find out if this changes anything.

If this is not a fix I will be ordering another carburetor and it will not be one of these cheap junky ones that come on these motors. I'll either go with an adjustable performance upgrade or build me an intake and put me a 21mm Mikuni or something down those lines on it.

Has any one else ever had any flooding issues with these NT Carburetors ? :-||

maximillian

Jan 17, 2010
seattle
I have with mine. I adjusted the arms and everything but nothing worked. It seems that they leak out of the primer button but im not sure. -max

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yes leaks out everywhere, if these carbs had a lighter more bouyant float and a neopreme tipped needle so that it would seal properly this would fix the problem I think but, they don't so I will fix it another way by either eliminating the vibration on the carb or just replacing the carb with a better one.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Have you tried an inline fuel filter? The tanks are nasty inside and a inline fuel filter will help.
Try some tooth paste or some very fine brass cleaner or even comet cleaner to polish the needle and set on the float needle seat. Small dab of polish in the seat insert the needle and spin
it clean it good then try it.
I put on a length of fuel line hold the carb upside down and put some pressure on the fuel line
by using your mouth. set the float on its fulcrum just the pressure of the float should stop the air from coming out. If it don't then yo may need to polish it some more.
I try to install the float with its seam towards the top. Also try to get the float to set level when holding it upside down for the height setting.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Have you tried an inline fuel filter? The tanks are nasty inside and a inline fuel filter will help.
Try some tooth paste or some very fine brass cleaner or even comet cleaner to polish the needle and set on the float needle seat. Small dab of polish in the seat insert the needle and spin
it clean it good then try it.
I put on a length of fuel line hold the carb upside down and put some pressure on the fuel line
by using your mouth. set the float on its fulcrum just the pressure of the float should stop the air from coming out. If it don't then yo may need to polish it some more.
I try to install the float with its seam towards the top. Also try to get the float to set level when holding it upside down for the height setting.
Norman, thanks for the info, I do have an inline filter it is new and my tank is very clean inside no rust or debri of any kind, each of the many times I have had these carbs off and on the fuel bowl was very clean inside, the tooth paste I will try, I started to use some valve grinding compound that I have but was unsure if it would be to aggressive and posibly have to large of a grit to it for the brass seat, now that I think of it I do have some turtle wax brand polishing compound on the shelf so I may either give it or the toothpaste a whirl in the morning.... ( Toothpaste ...! ) good idea it has a very fine mica grit, I will give it a shot.... I two put the seam of the float on top.

Thanks again...Norman

I've been messing with the GX200 OHV Clone engines for a while now and these little 2 stroke are a fun change, but dang sure frustrating right now at times with these little carbs and there lack luster design.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Well, I did some more adjusting of the float and got one of my carbs. to stop flooding the engine down, now I just need to get it to stop 4 stroke-in on top end, still getting a little to much fuel once it starts winding up pretty good, it starts to sputter a little and give that sound like the choke is still on a bit, I guess I will lower the metering needle one notch farther down and see what that does. I'm starting to smile again....

brnot

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
all mine work awesome. i love these carbs.

i did have two leaky floats, and i take the petcock off and replace it with a block-off plate, but other than that, they work perfect for me.

maybe there was a bad batch you guys got or something....

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
all mine work awesome. i love these carbs.

i did have two leaky floats, and i take the petcock off and replace it with a block-off plate, but other than that, they work perfect for me.

maybe there was a bad batch you guys got or something....[/QUOT

After having 3 of the NT carbs on my engine they all run like poop..!

My issue now is, that the one carb that I finally got running without flooding down started doing it again the needle & seat just will not hold I think that the plastic floats in these carbs are just to heavy or something, I polished the needle and seat by applying toothpaste which is a mild abrasive and then spinning them together just in case they were not mated properly, thought this might be a fix for my problem but ....NO....seems not to have helped at all, even with the float level set so low that there should only be about 1/2" to 5/8" of fuel in the bowl the bowl will fill up to the point that when the engine is reved up with the air filter off gas will spray heavily out of the vent hole in the carb that is right above where the choke lever goes through it. I have about decided to junk all of these NT carbs and fit something else on my engine, these carbs are running me ragged and I'm very tired of messing with the junky things, if only I could find some needles that had the neopreme tips I think I could resolve my flooding issue and then maybe with a little down sizing of the jet I could get my engine to run right.
:-||

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i dunno if i already asked, but is your carb sitting level on your bike?

i can't figure out what it could be, because i've never had your problems. seriously, these carbs are so simple, it just doesn't make sense.

is your air cleaner stock? any other mods?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
i dunno if i already asked, but is your carb sitting level on your bike?

i can't figure out what it could be, because i've never had your problems. seriously, these carbs are so simple, it just doesn't make sense.

is your air cleaner stock? any other mods?
Carb is sitting with only very slight angle forward not nearly as much as many of the engines I've seen others running, the air cleaner is the stock black plastic air cleaner, but I've already tried running the carbs without the cleaner and got same results, NO other Mods. I had one of the carbs running real good for about an hour today, it didnt start off right but I just took the bike out on the road and was trying to go for a ways and all the sudden the carb started clearing up and leaning out I thought Oboy it is finally gonna run right, then after just a couple miles it all started again. I would love for someone to just give me the magic word for these things............I'm getting reall yfrustrated with them and this is hard for me cause I'm normally a pretty good fixer on stuff like this but these things are eating my lunch...! and Supper....!

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
mapbike...are you taking the time and putting gray permatex on the gaskets,screws, etc...these things will leak without doing this...good luck

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yea Haw......Got an NT tuned and running pretty darn good, man.... a #70 drill bit would slide easily through the main jet, way to big.... I soldered and redrilled with #73 now running pretty darn good still a little sputter at mid throttle but leans out pretty nice, when motor get about 100 or so miles on it I may lean it up a little more just depends on how much better it's running by then, only issue I'm having now is at WOT it is emptying the fuel bowl maybe float level is a little to low, will make adjustments and get it lined out today after I replace clutch cable which broke yesterday and then must replace rear engine mounting studs as well, had one of them break off yesterday too, these studs that come on these little motors need to be the first thing that is replaced right out of the box in my opinion, they aint worth a darn unless you need a long threaded fishing sinker....!

Thanks everyone who has rang in on the carb. issues I've had and given me good advice.
Sincerely, Shan
dance1

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Dammit man, I just ordered one, hope it works better....
WHAT DID YOU ORDER?

a stock NT carb. or a CNS?, I ordered a new CNS from SpookyTooth.com but before I put it on my motor I soldered the jet up in my NT carb and then redrilled it with a fine wire #73 bit and now it is running pretty dang good, I think I still need to close it back up and redrill again with a #74 or 75 bit because it is still 4 stroke-in a little like it is a little rich, when it is under a load going up a hill it runs perfect but when the load comes off of it a little it starts the rumble sputter stuff......!

If you are getting an NT and it dont run right when you put it on... solder and drill the jet, I just put my jet in a vise, cut a very small piece of solder about 1/8" long 'the fine wire rosin core type' and laid it across the hole in the jet, then I heated the jet with a propane torch from the bottom side of the jet until the solder flowed into the hole and then got the heat off of it. put it in some cold water and then redrilled me a hole with the #73 bit and wala....runs better than ever.
dnut

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I ordered the NT from Spooky.....On my stock carb. I have the jet soldered on that one...And runs pretty sweet...But then I read about how they are messin up.....I`ll keep that in mind, thanks....