First Build Underway

GoldenMotor.com

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
I should be getting the bottom loop bent by a machine shop next week. Hopefully all will go well

This is a school project and they don't have any dies the with the right radius to make the bend. Hopefully I will be able to find a morini pretty soon, before I go back to school. Because the next task is to mount the engine

Last edited:

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
nice job on the frame so far, what type of frame did you start out with and where did you get it? I like the use of the template to get it all laid out and determine what type of bend you will need for the radius of the drop loop, good luck with your build, looking forward to seeing more in the future.

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
thanks. I started with the common worksman base frame. I got it all the way from Pat, unmodified. Pretty sure that is a one off for him as he only sells modified frames. The chainstays have been widened for the special drum hub.

The template was for my teacher as he was a little confused as to what I was going to make, not letting me start until he knew. It solved that problem

This project will drag on for another couple of months, as I have limited time to actually work on it

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Cool build..... look forward to seeing more. Its hard in Australia as we dont have as many good bikes to start builds and id hate to think what that frame would have cost to bring over but you sure will have a beautiful bike. Good luck

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Very nice, Whitey. I guess then that you were never able to get that Sportsman Flyer into Oz. What a hassle you went through. But, here you go with your own home built BTR.
SB

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
id hate to think what that frame would have cost to bring over

you really don't want to know! it is hard trying to fund this seeing as I am only 16yrs

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
Thanks for the comment Silverbear

I was never able to get the Sportsman Flyer. It was an experience where I lost over 2 grand, something I don't want to re live. I can see it as a lesson which I have now learned from. I now know a way around customs, by shipping in many lots.

I have saved nearly all my money that I earn to put towards this project. I started it because boardtrackers are works of art

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
COOL!!! I wish i was doing this back when i was 16 years old. How cool would you be if you rode this to school and said you built it.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Im glad to see you have decided to stick with it.

Where do you get the Morinis from in Australia? Are these the motors in KTM50's? If so i have seen the clones on EBay? How much are these if you dont mind me asking?

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
Where do you get the Morinis from in Australia? Are these the motors in KTM50's? If so i have seen the clones on EBay? How much are these if you dont mind me asking?

I am desperately looking to buy one. They aren't available in Aus from what I know. I will have to get one from overseas...more shipping costs.

the only way I am able to fund this project is from me building fixed gear road bikes for people. I have done this for over a year to save up

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Is the Morini the same as they put in KTM50's? Or a little different? Maybe im pointing out the obvious but if they are the same as the KTM's have you tried sourcing one from a KTM dealer?

I dont know much about these engines but i wonder if the KTM50 clone motors on EBay are any good. I think these are the engines that go in all those cheap pitbikes. Maybe they are good enough or maybe just need a little improvement like "Cobrafreak" did with his Honda GX200 clone.

Love that hub. I really like where you are going with this.

I ride most forms of mountain biking and a couple years back saw fixies on youtube and loved em, i decided to make one of my own. But i just didnt like it. Maybe i just needed more practice but it was just such an unnatural feeling for me trying to brake..... its like trying to stop a locomotive train. But the guys that can do it my hats off to em'

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Heres the item number to the EBay KTM 50 clone i referred to..... 130468836685. Hope that helps, if you havent seen em. Is that $399 price good? What do the genuine Morinis go for?

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
I think I would rather use a genuine morini. I just couldn't trust a knock off version. The image of the KTM 50 clone looks close but definitely cheaper.

I have been thinking about the honda clone engines

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Whitey,
Just have to ask what happened that cost you $2,000.

As for the cost of bikes I can understand. We are only allowed electric bikes here where I live and I just went and bought a hub motor wheel and electrical kit. It was $869 without the battery.

You may be better off with a Honda clone since they are more available.
Are the taxes to bring something like a Morini high In Aus? Shipping I know is terrible.

Someone else said shipping in bits and pieces was the prefered method to Aus. Customs doesn't like to see package deals.

Steve.

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
Are the taxes to bring something like a Morini high In Aus? Shipping I know is terrible.

there aren't taxes for items under $1000 I believe.

well I had to pay shipping to get the BTR to Australia and then I had to return the bike to America where the shipping was even more expensive.

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
I returned the bike as that was the cheapest option. I could have gotten it destroyed but that would have meant I would have had to pay for storage while they waited for it to get destroyed. (there is a waiting list) the storage fee and the destroy fee were very pricey