First Build Underway

GoldenMotor.com

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
Got some bad news though Whitey.... it seems there is now 2 of us in Australia looking for one of these beauties.... LOL

hahaha. I do love your villers build. I do know of some people with the sachs motors, but they are not for sale

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Have you asked the Sachs owners if they know of anyone who has a spare motor or a source for parts. Some times there is someone who has spares that all the owners know but don't talk about except amongst themselves.

When Silverbear and I get together in a week or so we'll see what can be found. When we're talking face to face with Dave it will be easier to quiz him about different things.

What months does your school year run there?

Steve.

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
What months does your school year run there?

I have approx 8months of school a year
I am going to get in contact with the sachs owners

Today I bent the drop loop, not exactly how I wanted it, but The best I could do with my limited resources, pics coming later

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
I like the shape of the down tube.

Thanks Pat. I was hoping for a larger radius as that would have given me more space for the engine. I think the engine will either just fit, or not at all

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hi guys,

Here is a large page about Sachs engines.
The data might be useful to you, it even has an "English" button.
A lot of different mopeds with Sachs engines were sold in the 50's and 60's in the Netherlands.

Sachs motoren

Victor
Hello Victor,
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting the link which I can see at first glance is going to be very useful. I'm excited to be using this 98 engine on my current build. Are you familiar with them yourself? Have you ridden something powered by this engine?
SB

victorp

Jun 9, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hello Silverbear,
I am honoured to receive my first reply from one of the most famous members of this formum!
I rode a 1950's Sparta moped with a 50cc Sachs engine. They were often used in Dutch, Belgian and, ofcourse, German mopeds and light motorcycles.
I have not ridden a 98cc but they are comparable (but obviously stronger).
They are great engines, very reliable and low maintenance.
A lot of parts and complete engines are still available online and at swap meets.

If you would like me to find you one, or find you information, just let me know. I will try to look it up for you.

I have been lurking in this forum for 6 months, and just now I have put up public pictures of my own bikes in my profile.

Victor

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Victor,
Thank you for your kind words. I don't know about famous. i just talk a lot. But thanks.
I know that I will be looking for sources of parts so that when I need something I will know where to look. I will also be looking for another model 32 98cc engine, even it is it just a spare sitting on the shelf all ready to go in case my engine develops problems and needs to be rebuilt. I'm so glad to learn that parts are available.
Your English is excellent, so if we need to have something translated a bit... the name of a part in German, that sort of thing, may we ask you for clarification of what it means in English? You must be tri-lingual. Awesome! I assume you also speak Dutch.
Do you have a link to the photos of your bikes?
SB

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
Wow thankyou Victor for the web link. I am starting to like the vintage look of the sachs. very period correct. I am off to an old motorbike swap meet, Sunday
I have been told that there should be some villers and sachs engines/parts. I hope to find a great deal

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hey Victorp, welcome to the forum. If you ever want a Villiers engine id be more then happy to swap a Villiers for a Sachs.

Whitey, are you considering a Villiers now? If so are you having trouble finding one...... im not sure if the auction has ended, but on EBay under "reel" or "cylinder mowers" and there were 2 98cc Villiers/Atco mowers being sold together and had zero bids at $10 with a couple days left in Western Australia. That would be a bargain.

I dont know if its because i already have a Villiers, but im thinking the Sachs is a little nicer looking and probably a lot better suited having a couple gears. What ever you decide, good luck Whitey, ill be watching and learning

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
SB,
I'll gladly translate anything from dutch or german. There are a lot of clubs in Europe for these engines. Parts are hardly ever a problem.
Pictures of my feeble attempts should be found here:

http://motorbicycling.com/members/victorp/

Victor
Thanks for sharing photos of your builds. May I suggest that you post them in an introductory thread so that more people will see them? It looks like you have a keen eye for detail and have the craftsman spirit in putting your builds together carefully. I'd like to see more photos of them if you have them. What kind of restrictions are you operating under in the Netherlands? The electric bike looks like many of the cruisers we have in the United States, always a good choice for a motor bicycle. I imagine they are less common there.in the Netherlands. I also know that your country has a love affair with bicycles and mopeds and that they are everywhere. I imagine you create a lot of interest with your bikes. What a lot of fun, eh?
SB

victorp

Jun 9, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Goodmorning SB,

There are very strict rules in the Netherlands on motorized bicycles, either with an electric motor or a gas engine.

ebikes:
ebikes can be built or bought if they are limited to the motorized speed of 25 kph (15 mph), that means that you are allowed to pedal faster than 25 kph, but the motor has to shut off completely above this speed.
i.e. you have to have a so-called pedelec sensor installed, which shuts off power completely over 25 kph..... That is the reason why ebikes overhere are referred to as "motor assisted" bicycles. The emphasis is still on pedalling.

Electrical bikes are really popular now amongst elder people who still use a bicycle (and there are millions of elderly cyclists in the Netherlands).

The ebikes sold in stores are all equipped with a pedelec sensor. These bikes do not have to be insured or to carry a registration and license plate.

My own ebike is not equipped with this mandatory sensor and runs a little over 50 kph (31 mph), and that makes it pretty much illegal. (48 Volts, 1000Watt battery)

But since Amsterdam is a crowded and old city, there is hardly ever an opportunity to reach the top speed! And when I see a policeman, I just pedal a bit and nobody knows the difference....

I actually doubt that this subject is in the right thread, maybe I should move this elsewhere.