First Build Underway

GoldenMotor.com

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
thanks for the compliments everyone. The hub is a special hub from sportscarpat. I don't know anything else about it sorry

My filler cap and bung finally arrived today. It was supposed to arrive over 10 days ago, so much for me spending extra for express. Is there anyway for me to weld Aluminium to steel? The order was screwed up, got alu instead of steel. sigh

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
more pictures. I finally finished the fuel tank. It came out better than I expected, especially as that was my first time using a mig to weld. Still a long way to go, but i can't wait until it is done.

Also the wheels pictured are definitely not being used and the seat is only temporary. I have a metal seat pan which is currently getting upholstered

Attachments

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Looks good on the tank, Whitey. Now the fun part, grinding all the corners. Don't forget to leak check it!

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Looks good on the tank, Whitey. Now the fun part, grinding all the corners. Don't forget to leak check it!
Yeah grinding tanks isnt much fun.... you probably already know this but if you use a normal grinding disc to take the top off the weld then use the "slapper" grinding disc it aint so bad..... those slapper discs are a life saver

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Hey Whitey,

It's looking good, nothing as satisfying as building your own bike!

That loop is tight, it looks good but those damn Morini motor exhaust ports point straight into the down tube, if you've not found your motor yet, keep an open mind and take a peek at those clone motors. I can see one sitting super low in that frame with exhaust port sitting on the side. It should be easy to find one, they're an industrial motor afterall.

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
Tank looks good. Find a motor yet?
SB

I must say. I have been admiring your mb, wow you did a great job!
Also I have found an engine. After seeing all its good points and having a discussion with Rich (itchybird) I decided to go with the honda clone

Last edited:

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
thanks Cobra. That is a great compliment from someone with such an awesome boardtracker

Harry, the engine does fit. I have test fit one before when I was still deciding on my engine (My school supplies them free for all the projects) The fact that I can have it more upright allows more space for the exhaust header. The morini's header would either not fit or just be too close for proper flow

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
thanks Cobra. That is a great compliment from someone with such an awesome boardtracker

Harry, the engine does fit. I have test fit one before when I was still deciding on my engine (My school supplies them free for all the projects) The fact that I can have it more upright allows more space for the exhaust header. The morini's header would either not fit or just be too close for proper flow
All good then... that downloop was looking a little tight.

Cant wait to see more, i might watch and learn from yours first so you can advise me where to get the upgraded engine parts for mine

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
Cant wait to see more, i might watch and learn from yours first so you can advise me where to get the upgraded engine parts for mine

engines are cheap here in Aus! there is a seller on ebay offering free shipping, it also includes a pressure washer setup with the engine. The total cost came to $110

As for engine modifications. I am still discussing that with AGK. He is a great guy and the customer service is fantastic

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia

engines are cheap here in Aus! there is a seller on ebay offering free shipping, it also includes a pressure washer setup with the engine. The total cost came to $110

As for engine modifications. I am still discussing that with AGK. He is a great guy and the customer service is fantastic
I have a genuine Honda GX160 (5.5HP) already, i just need to do the mods (that is if the same mods are needed with the genuine Honda?) and buy a CVT

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Hey Whitey,

Your bike is really starting to take shape, I like where you're going with it and it looks like you are making consistent progress. Glad to hear you are talking with Shane at AGK, he's a big help. The clones (and the orig as well) are very common motors. You can go mild to wild with them.

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
I am really on the fence about getting a CVT. They look like they would be fantastic. But I still like the look of the boardtrack jackshaft driveline. I have a design for the jackshaft setup, yet the CVT is also very appealing. The engine mods I will be making will bump the engine up to a nice moderate ~9hp

Anyone who uses the CVT care to shed some light? is it really as good as it looks?

Some more pics after doing a bit of grinding on the tank. I still need to build up some shallow areas of weld with filler rod, then grind them back again

Attachments

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
So cool to see your build progressing. Building a frame, then following up with a tank is quite an accomplishment. I am still working out details on my own clone buildup, and have decided to go with a centrifugal clutch and more of a BTR style drive system which I have in development right now. I am no doubt giving up a bit of performance going this route, but looks as well as performance are both important to me. Not that I don't like the look of the CVT, but I want to be as boardie looking as possible. My system will run a bottom bracket mounted hub with primary and secondary sprockets to get proper final drive ratio, then line all up with my rear sprocket. Prototype system is being machined right now.
Pat

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
I have decided to go with a CVT. After looking at Lurker's first build and Cobra's Indain. I decided that they don't look too bad. I just love the idea of having the transmission. Now I just need to find a really cheap one.

Are all the ones on ebay the same quality as AGK's? I can't see a difference. The only reason is is because there are new ones which are significantly cheaper

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I had a bit of a look around a while ago for a CVT and i think the cheapest i found was a couple hundred..... i believe they use these CVT's for wakeboard boats so there may be many different sources to get it from..... keep me posted, i may as well get my Honda engine going because i feel left out with everyone else seeming to have one LOL

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
I just decided to fork out the 200 big ones. Bit of a bite into my budget. I won my engine on ebay today. My winning Bid was $68 with the free shipping. I couldn't be more happy.